Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  78
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V North Melbourne R5 2020

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...eaways-round-5

Key Takeaways | Round 5
    All the main talking points from Saturday night’s 49-point win over North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium.

1. No Naughton, no worries

Don’t get us wrong – we all love seeing Aaron Naughton strut his stuff on Marvel Stadium, and hopefully it’s not too soon before we get so witness that again.

However, one of the main subplots coming into Saturday night’s clash with North Melbourne was how Josh Bruce would step up in the injured young gun’s absence, and how he’d work in tandem with Josh Schache.

In the end, Bruce and Schache – on an AFL field together for the first time this season - proved to be a match-winning combo, booting eight goals between them.

2. There’s something about Tim

Tim English can ruck a bit. We all know that by now. But he must also be the tallest midfielder in the AFL, based on how he’s accumulated the Sherrin in the last two weeks.

Against one of the game’s best rucks, Todd Goldstein, English racked up 22 disposals (nine contested) and took eight marks.

Only two players on the ground had more touches (Jack Macrae and Tom Liberatore).

It was a similar story a week earlier against the Swans – another 22 possessions – making it back-to-back career-highs for the 22-year-old.

3. Where there’s a Wood, there’s a way

Dogs’ premiership skipper Easton Wood was understandably itching to get back on the field after overcoming a quad injury – and he played like it against the ‘Roos.

With Zaine Cordy and Alex Keath occupying the key defensive posts, Wood was at his intercepting and rebounding best, constantly cutting off opposition attacks.

He finished with a team-high nine marks (six of those were intercepts) and 14 disposals.

Wood played in the Bulldogs’ loss to Collingwood way back in March, and after working hard to be ready for the resumption of the season, he was cruelly cut back by the quad injury on the eve of Round 2.

That there was 106 days between AFL games for Wood makes his performance against North Melbourne even more noteworthy.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    I thought the game was closer in the first half than the scoreboard suggested. The difference was we made our forward entries count, and they didn't, which was something we've been guilty of.

Having a KPF that kicks 6 straight helps.Anyone else think he moves and kick a bit like WCE Josh Kennedy, without the stutter?

English was good, Maclean was good, West was good, and Daniel once again showed his elite decision-making and execution skills. Such a smart and skilled player.
    Good comparison with Kennedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Aside from that, North is your second team?
    Third maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Sorry SoS I do not like that at all. A stain on the league?
    Yep. I despise them. With their faux tough guy shinboner rubbish, fake swagger and a coach that looks like a derelict. Apart from the Pagan years with their reliance on Carey to make the difference and the mid-70s when they raised other clubs they have been uniformly and historicaly rubbish. But then I have always hated them.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Dempsey going there also Twodogs
    That decision cut deep in the day

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen a club hang onto something so ridiculous as the Shinboner Spirit, given I can't intellectualise or emotionalise it and I'm moderately creative. To name someone Shinboner of the century as if that was a thing is pretty cooked in my view. If Glen Archer being immortalised by the club as if he was the most important ingredient of it just hurts my senses. He was a decent and tough defender, and no offence to Dale Morris but I wouldn't dare immortalise him in that way and in truth, he'd be too humble to accept it and he was every bit as amazing for our club as Archer was for his.

I literally don't understand them, though I do admire their community spirit in being the first club in the league to dispel the dependence on poker machines.

This is however, no offence to a fantastic contributor to this forum in Roscoe, who on occasion drops in and says hello.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Watching the replay...again...at the start of the second quarter, Dale's work in close to gather, shrug and give off the opposite hand to Barron Von Dutch Pants was amazing. That's his value. Cleaner than anyone else on the ground, almost Gia like.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Thanks Testekill thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Watching the replay...again...at the start of the second quarter, Dale's work in close to gather, shrug and give off the opposite hand to Barron Von Dutch Pants was amazing. That's his value. Cleaner than anyone else on the ground, almost Gia like.
    In games where the heat is off, I agree. He regularly stands up in lower pressure type games.

I know you can only beat the team you're facing, but he needs to show it when the stakes are higher.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Caleb Daniel says hi.

I don't mind the ode to the Shinboner Spirit. It apparently derives from their first team comprising a number of workers from local abbatoirs. The retention of the moniker is very similar in its ethos to the Bloods ideology of the Swans, that never give up attitude. The thing with Norf is the Shinboner ethos appears to be nod to their forming history as a football club.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Coaches Votes:

Round 5:

10 - Josh Bruce
    6 - Caleb Daniel
    4 - Jason Johannisen
    4 - Easton Wood
    2 - Tom Liberatore
    2 - Hayden Crozier
    1 - Alex Keath
    1 - Tim English

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Coaches Votes:

Round 5:

10 - Josh Bruce
    6 - Caleb Daniel
    4 - Jason Johannisen
    4 - Easton Wood
    2 - Tom Liberatore
    2 - Hayden Crozier
    1 - Alex Keath
    1 - Tim English
    Just shows how even we were.

English stiff to only get 1 vote, IMO.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Just shows how even we were.

English stiff to only get 1 vote, IMO.
    Yep played well. Read that he was leading all ruckmen in intercept marks category. Getting better all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

There has been an odd silence around English this week from a certain party. Interesting to see if some critics are prepared to give him his props.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    There has been an odd silence around English this week from a certain party. Interesting to see if some critics are prepared to give him his props.
    Three very exciting weeks from Timmay but TBH I’m not gonna be totally confident until he holds his own (this does not mean beats) against Grundy and Gawn. Then look out.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

14. Likes hujsh liked this post