Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs to use “the last dance philosophy” ahead of season restart

link

Western Bulldogs speedster Jason Johannisen says coach Luke Beveridge will use The Last Dance documentary as a motivation tool for his players.

Johannisen took inspiration from watching the hugely popular 10-part docuseries that encapsulated Michael Jordan’s iconic NBA career which culminated in the Chicago Bulls winning a sixth championship in 1998.

“He (Beveridge) has been pretty positive … he knows it’s been a tough time for the players,” Johannisen told SEN Breakfast.

“But he’s kept us engaged and I think he’s going to use a bit of The Last Dance philosophy to get us ready for Round 2.

“When Michael Jordan was trying to get to the Finals and how hard he had to work to get there, I think he’ll probably use that sort of mentality for us to hopefully have a successful season.”

The 2016 Norm Smith Medallist highlighted the need for quicker ball movement as a key takeaway from their Round 1 loss to Collingwood.

“It was difficult because we went into isolation straight away that Monday and we couldn’t really review the game,” Johannisen said.

“I think the biggest learnings we got is that we couldn’t move the ball and that’s been a focus since we’ve been back at training. We need to be more direct and move the ball better.

“All credit to Collingwood, they were fantastic on that night. We still feel like we’ve got a lot of things to work on and can improve on.”

The Western Bulldogs take on St Kilda at Marvel Stadium on June 14.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs to use “the last dance philosophy” ahead of season restart

Sometimes I really don’t know with Bevo
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    He loves a theme of some sort. Personally, I think JJ should not have said anything

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We sure do love our media street. I sincerely hope we come better prepared to play in R2 than we did in R1, or the 2019 EF for that matter.

Talk is cheap - we haven't fired a single shot where it counts since the Ballarat game against Adelaide last year.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Geez i thought the bigger issue was we couldnt get the ball. I mean moving it is the next step sure but for a half we could not get the thing against Collingwood.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

7. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Geez i thought the bigger issue was we couldnt get the ball. I mean moving it is the next step sure but for a half we could not get the thing against Collingwood.
    Normally one of our strengths - a lot of disposals, and big inside 50s numbers, but last two matches pretty much out gunned in those areas.

Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't just quick ball movement that sunk us, we just were not ready for the game. We talked a great talk, but the reality was that we were outplayed all across the ground. Our backline was disorganized which meant we could not transition from defense to attack effectively. Part of that was personnel, part of that was Collingwood were up for it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    It wasn't just quick ball movement that sunk us, we just were not ready for the game. We talked a great talk, but the reality was that we were outplayed all across the ground. Our backline was disorganized which meant we could not transition from defense to attack effectively. Part of that was personnel, part of that was Collingwood were up for it!
    I said it after the game but we didn't come to play with the right passion and intensity plus we were clearly outcoached
    I hope the last couple of losses have inspired our players and coaches over the last couple of months.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I'm not actually sure this is Bevo.

Johannisen took inspiration from watching the hugely popular 10-part docuseries that encapsulated Michael Jordan’s iconic NBA career which culminated in the Chicago Bulls winning a sixth championship in 1998.

“But he’s kept us engaged and I think he’s going to use a bit of The Last Dance philosophy to get us ready for Round 2.

“When Michael Jordan was trying to get to the Finals and how hard he had to work to get there, I think he’ll probably use that sort of mentality for us to hopefully have a successful season.”
    Article implies this is Bevo but JJ's words seem to be speculating on what Bevo will do. Something we all know is a fools game from trying to pick the team each week.

13. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post