Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs aim to turn the tables

link

Luke Beveridge is expecting a spike in performance from his troops when they take on St Kilda on June 14.

The Western Bulldogs will be out to change perceptions when the 2020 season resumes in two weeks.

Dogs coach Luke Beveridge is expecting a spike in performance from his troops when they take on St Kilda on June 14, after the Club’s hefty Round 1 loss to Collingwood.

"We're aware that how you're categorised, how you're labelled and how you're perceived is based on your most recent performance or performances,” Beveridge said.

“We don’t like where we sit at the moment.

"We can have a desire and an objective to play a certain way, but it's just talk until you see it.

"That will be our challenge, to put it into action and to change perception and develop and gain a reputation that we're proud of."

If training form is anything to go by, the Bulldogs are in a good position to bounce back.

Beveridge said it’s been difficult to gauge the absolute fitness levels of the players after an unusual period of isolation and small block of training before the season resumption.

However, fitness testing has been promising, as has the players’ attitude on and off the track.

“They look good, and their emotions are in order. They’re enthusiastic, and they’re enjoying each other’s company,” he said.

“There’ll never be any excuses, but I feel like we’re going to physically fine.”

The Bulldogs players completed their second full group session on Friday, which included some match practice.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs aim to turn the tables

I hope Bevo is conveying that message strongly to the playing group because it's a similar message to what he said over the preseason was the motivation after the loss to GWS. We then served up a similarly dispirited effort against Collingwood.
    Now the more compassionate among our supporters might cut the players some slack and blame the distractions from Covid 19 pandemic for the weak display (although clearly Collingwood came with purpose and we didn't) but we've all have an extended period to accept that this is the season that is in front of us and there can be no more dispirited displays written off as being out of our control

If he is genuinely happy with what he is seeing so far since our players returned then he must hold everyone we select as accountable for our performance
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Likes SonofScray, Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I hope Bevo is conveying that message strongly to the playing group because it's a similar message to what he said over the preseason was the motivation after the loss to GWS. We then served up a similarly dispirited effort against Collingwood.
    Now the more compassionate among our supporters might cut the players some slack and blame the distractions from Covid 19 pandemic for the weak display (although clearly Collingwood came with purpose and we didn't) but we've all have an extended period to accept that this is the season that is in front of us and there can be no more dispirited displays written off as being out of our control

If he is genuinely happy with what he is seeing so far since our players returned then he must hold everyone we select as accountable for our performance

You would expect this sort of messaging at this time. I'd be worried if there was any prevarication at all from Bevo at the moment.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    [/B]
    You would expect this sort of messaging at this time. I'd be worried if there was any prevarication at all from Bevo at the moment.
    Absolutely but it's the same message we heard over the preseason after the loss to GWS that was supposed to be our motivation for the playing group and now we are using the loss against Collingwood as the motivation for the balance of the season ahead.
    If the players react like we all hope then the words means something, if they don't come with the right intensity then we can't keep preaching being patient with the playing group.

We have to show up with the right focus
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

We have to show up with the right focus
    It's going to be really interesting to see what mindset each team (all 18 teams) is going to turn up with. These have been unparalleled times with the season starting and then stopping and the players being forced away from the club and pretty much left to their own devices with all sorts of speculation about what was going to happen and who'd get paid what and where they were going to play. The teams that hit the ground running are going to get a huge advantage over the others I reckon.

Hopefully that's the message Bevo is driving home. There is a premiership at stake and I don't care what nay sayers like Commetti say, a flag is a flag. The only asterisk beside it as far as I am concerned says "great effort, you won despite some unique hurdles"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, it is merely words until the playing group perform.

The opener against Collingwood was a disgrace and the team that takes the park in round 2 have plenty to prove.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

8. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Credos to Collingwood for pulling our pants down in the first round. They absolutely respected us and were on for the hundred minutes. Very professional. If they reproduce that they will beat Richmond. Our midfield was murdered.

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Certainly hope so. Every Collingwood and GWS type performance really undermines him as the coach and the identity of the group.

This isn't the Men of Mayhem, it mightn't even be fair to compare. That blend of 15/16 footy was essentially perfect in its alignment to how we as a Club want to present ourselves and be perceived, as well as the capabilities of the list. The list looks different, so should how they go about fitting in, or shaping that style of footy which draws us all together.

I don't think we will have the hard nosed, desperate, physical play as a cornerstone. The boys just don't have it. Yet. As much as I wish they did.

We're going to need to lean into the other stuff. Economy with the footy, marking up front and a numbers game around the ball again.

12. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Everything is just lip service atm but its exactly what I would expect him to say. He knows how to play the media these days. I just hope he plays our best team come round 2 and no more funny buggers at the selection table.

I totally agree with sos that we lack hardness. Blind Betty can see that after our last couple of appearances. I don't think we have really replaced M Boyd or Picken and with Libba missing a fair bit of footy, we do look like we lack that hard edge. You could throw Moz in the conversation as as well. We had a good run last year without a bit of mongrel but we got the games on our terms with quick clean footy. Finals footy is a different beast and GWS smashed us with tough footy. Looks like Collingwood were watching too. Hopefully Libba is fit and gets back in the 22 to put give us a hard nut around the ball. Jordan Sweet looks a bit angry too so I hope he comes along quickly.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

We all know one of our problems, and it's not a bad one to have, is that all of Jacko, Marcus and Josh are all see ball get ball midfielders of an elite standard.

In another thread I suggest Toby could play a more defencive grunt type role, with Libba's body being a bit cooked and Wallis being a bit slow. West can help in this area over time, but he's probably not quite ready yet.

Until we have this resolved we're going to struggle in the cut and thrust of finals footy.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

15. Likes Twodogs liked this post