Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ten intriguing out-of-contract players

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Improving your list for the right price is always a good thing. Obviously addressing major needs is the first priority, but if that can't be done in all instances during a trade period then the default position just has to be improve your list at the right price. Sometimes we as supporters and clubs actually forget that.
    I do agree generally, but with our tendency to give players multiple seasons at the club even if they show little (see Lynch, Greene, Smith, Jong, Porter) then list spots are extremely valuable. We can't just hand them out willy nilly, especially on a player that plays a position we already have an abundance of talent in. This is made especially hard if we reduce the list sizes as anticipated.

Obviously he is arguably better than all our current key defenders aside from Keath )better than Cordy, Young, Gardner and Trengove listed by MC preference), but unless we move on the rest of them then we can't lock up our list with fringe key defender types. And we would still have to recruit a key defender to play the lockdown role as clearly we don't trust Trengove with that. So next year that leaves us with Keath, Battle, Cordy, Young + lockdown key.

Honestly it's all irrelevant. I'll be amazed if we recruit anyone this off season. Say we go down to 35 list spots, plus 3 draftees means we have to cut like 12 blokes. Beveridge is so loyal to his playing group that he will want to keep it together and will struggle to make the necessary cuts, let alone an extra one to fit in a guy that apparently isn't in St.Kildas best 22.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't mention anything about attrition when I possibly should have, though I thought it was just common sense (and that's not a slight on you Soup).

Whomever you bring in should be balanced with who you let go. Additionally, I wasn't talking about the player specifically mentioned, it was a general comment about the fundamentals of trading, i.e. each year you do better rather than worse no matter how things fall when trying to land something needs based.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

With list spots set to be tight and three kids on our radar this year (Marra, Raak, McPherson) I don't see how we have any space available for an established player to trade in - even before you consider we will lack trade assets.

I'd like us to target a legitimate, AFL standard wing but I don't think we can get a deal done.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    With list spots set to be tight and three kids on our radar this year (Marra, Raak, McPherson) I don't see how we have any space available for an established player to trade in - even before you consider we will lack trade assets.

I'd like us to target a legitimate, AFL standard wing but I don't think we can get a deal done.
    Has the list size for 2021 been established yet? 35 was a number being mentioned a couple of months back and if that holds true then we need to get down to something like 31 players to draft 3 and trade for 1 player

We do a have a lot of fringe players so providing we have a legitimate need then bringing in an established player shouldn't be that hard
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"