Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This years flag

Post Thanks / Like

This years flag

Interested to hear which teams our WOOF members think can realistically win the flag this year?

I'll go with 7 legitimate chances Geelong, Port, Collingwood, Richmond, Brisbane, West Coast and Western Bulldogs

GWS will be very competitive but I suspect they will fall short when it counts
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: This years flag

I think Richmond and Collingwood.

I think on paper we should be a chance, but in reality we're no chance.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I think Richmond and Collingwood.

I think on paper we should be a chance, but in reality we're no chance.
    Sadly, I agree.

I also think Brisbane should storm out of the blocks with their first 4 games after re-start all at the GABBA. They had a tough draw prior to COVID and now that's been neutralised, they're set up for success.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I was very confident of our chances prior to Round 1, but then they actually went out and played Round 1.

It all has that 2009 feeling of not being able to beat a team (Collingwood) that we definitely will have to beat if we want to get anywhere.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Hoping we can play better than round one, but not confident.

I think West Coast will be hard to beat, especially with the addition of Kelly into the midfield. Hate to say it but GWS will be right up there and Richmond is still very strong. Collingwood is still a strong team, but other than that it is a bit of a toss up.

This year, as in previous years, available players will play a big part, so those teams with least injuries and fit players will be hard to beat. I say fit players, as the past two months in ISO, there are players (all clubs) that have put on a few kgs and didn't train hard enough. We don't know who they are, but it will be a factor.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Hoping we can play better than round one, but not confident.
    What's the main concerns from your perspective BAD?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    What's the main concerns from your perspective BAD?
    We have discussed it many times, but the last two games were a concern, especially in the midfield and the ruck. In the past we have been able to shark the ball off the opposition ruck, but with our mids all being sat on, Mumford and Grundy had it easy tapping the ball to their mids. I think we really need Libba's grunt in there to help out, but with him missing so much footy, we may not have that luxury.

My other concern is the match committee in the last two games.

Against GWS, we really should have picked Trengove and I am not sure why West got the gig over Dickson.

The Pies game was a real dilemma - why did Gardner and Cavarra get picked? I also felt Lew Young hasn't found a spot yet. Either we stick him at FB and stay with him, or he doesn't play.

So overall, we need backup in the midfield, and the MC has to get it right.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Down to 4 for mine - Richmond, Collingwood, West Coast and GWS.

Post Thanks / Like

It's potentially wide open. The season interruption and changes to routine, personnel etc would have to have some type of impact on performances.

Brisbane would be the team I think will take another step.

Post Thanks / Like

I have completely changed my view of our chances after round 1.

We don't have time to be cute with selection, but Bevo has always seemed to be like that.

For me the shortened season suits Richmond, Collingwood and GWS, but injuries are going to play a big part.

GWS have struggled to keep their best on the park consistently.

Not a big wrap for West Coast as I feel they will be seriously compromised by the hub situation in Queensland removing a key advantage.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Not a big wrap for West Coast as I feel they will be seriously compromised by the hub situation in Queensland removing a key advantage.
    I thought of that, but also thought they seem to have travel down pat and know what they need to do when away from home. It will be slightly different than the normal season, but I think they can handle it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I have completely changed my view of our chances after round 1.

We don't have time to be cute with selection, but Bevo has always seemed to be like that.
    I agree with this.

Feels like we're a team who works themselves into the year and we don't have that luxury after R1 and a shortened season.

On paper our mids and forwards should be as dangerous as any. Our back half isnt right and we're not mentally there yet either.

Think we're close to an onslaught but we're a few key elements short.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the pies are a massive show
    Going level with Carlton and essendon will be huge for them
    Gotta say we do have challenge flags , so I guess this isn’t as compromised

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I agree with this.

Feels like we're a team who works themselves into the year and we don't have that luxury after R1 and a shortened season.

On paper our mids and forwards should be as dangerous as any. Our back half isnt right and we're not mentally there yet either.

Think we're close to an onslaught but we're a few key elements short.
    Agree B/B
    Reckon we’re short

Post Thanks / Like

I heard a stat on one podcast or another last week that in the NFL - who play a 16-game season - teams that go 0-2 only make the playoffs 12% of the time.

I would suggest that to win the flag, we first need to make the finals. And to make the finals, we first need to win a game. And to win a game, we first need to play a competitive game of footy.

Really looking forward to this week and super annoyed that I have to wait until Sunday to see my team play.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.