Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This years flag

Post Thanks / Like

Re: This years flag

I think Geelong are a big show due to getting to play at their shit hole of a ground. And the fact that they are the only team playing home games there. The hub teams will get used to the NSW and Qld grounds which may be take the edge of the home ground advantage for the NSW and QLD teams. If Geelong do make finals and there are still no crowds or limited crowds the AEFL will certainly grant them a home prelim (if they earn one) even against a Richmond or Collingwood. The shortened fixture and shortened quarters plays right into the hands of their aging list as well.

As for the other flag fancies, you'd have to go with the obvious ones in Richmond, Collingwood, GWS and West Coast. The way Collingwood took us apart has them on top of the list but it's only one game and we have them a fair head start with our selection and endeavor from the opening bounce.

As far as our chances go, I'll get back to you Sunday evening. Before round 1 I had us firmly in the conversation but there were way too many 'back to their old ways' signs against good opposition, which puts them back in the pack for mine.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

The Saints have been a bit of surprise this year but most of the top 8 looked somewhat set

Does anyone have a thought on why the Saints improved enough to get themselves into the finals mix?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The Saints have been a bit of surprise this year but most of the top 8 looked somewhat set

Does anyone have a thought on why the Saints improved enough to get themselves into the finals mix?
    9 years since they made the finals, I guess they got sick of waiting and brought in 4 or 5 ready made players, plus a new coach.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    9 years since they made the finals, I guess they got sick of waiting and brought in 4 or 5 ready made players, plus a new coach.
    I think they have a pretty good mix of players and they've been prepared to use a tagger in a very positive way.
    There could be some lessons to learn from the way they about things

Post Thanks / Like

I think Ratten has had a fair bit to do with it. He’s an astute coach and has the players playing with hunger. I also think with his new game plan, it’s caught teams unawares. However the better teams clued on to it late in the season and hence they haven’t performed as well. GWS last night played perfectly into the hands of the saints’ game style just as we did in round 2. They got caught on the rebound, overused the footy and were not accountable inside 50 which allowed Butler and the like to crumb under no pressure. Watch Geelong v Saints for how to perfectly play against the saints. If we make the finals, we’ll most likely play the saints and I hope we study what Geelong did intensely.

However the saints are certainly worthy finalists. Whilst their recruits aren’t spectacular, they’re well balanced on the field and they’re now playing with desire and confidence under Ratts.

Post Thanks / Like

The addition of some experience helps, with Ryder, Butler and Howard being significant contributors. Zak Jones would also be a plus and Brad Hill has some class (although I felt he has been the most underperformed).

They also had good contributions from recent draftees with Hunter and Coffield both being excellent. Max King has also been very good as a first year player.

However, I think the big change was the coach and the team has been very well organised and I feel their game has been built to suit the list.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

7. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So how many teams can win it this year?

I'll go with 5, Port, Geelong, Richmond, Brisbane and of course Western Bulldogs

Post Thanks / Like

So how many teams can win it this year?

I'll go with 5, Port, Geelong, Richmond, Brisbane and of course Western Bulldogs

Geelong started to splutter over the last month. They would have to improve a lot to be a contender I reckon.
    Brisbane playing finals on their homeground must be a big advantage for them, but I just don't see them in the same bracket as Richmond.

I think that everything might be coming up Milhaus for the Tiges. Although if we get past St Kilda they won't want to play us in week three if we get through.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Richmond are in the box seat for mine. They have won 14 in a row against Brisbane, so an extraordinary historical change needs to happen this week for Brisbane to get up. I just can't see it.

The other side of the draw is more open. Port have done nothing wrong at all and get to play both finals at home. I expect them to push Geelong much harder than they did a few weeks ago and actually beat them next week - Cats are just going at the minute and have been for a month. A Port win pushes us and St Kilda (and Brisbane if they lose to Richmond as I expect them to) into the Port side of the prelim draw. A Port win also pushes Geelong into the Richmond side of the prelim draw, and Richmond has their measure. I can't see West Coast away from Perth or the Pies trouble Richmond in a PF either.

I'm happy to take our chances against St Kilda, Brisbane and Port en route to a GF against Richmond.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

11. Likes azabob, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think, honestly, we could do it again. I think Ratten has been great for the saints, and I'm really happy for him. I thought he was shafted by the blues with their obsession with big names and big cheques. So I'm happy for him to be having a renaissance as a coach and you can really see the Saints playing with a perfect combination of flair, freedom, joy AND discipline. Having said that. I think we can and should beat them. Our midfield is so powerful, and when LIBBA is on song we just look so.....well.......unbeatable. Libba is the key for me. He's not the only good player we have of course....but when Libba is ON, we are just so much a better team

Post Thanks / Like

I backed Geelong earlier this year - and even though they've had two poor weeks, think they are the side most likely to upset Richmond.

Last week was the first week getting a number of stars back, and they seemed to need the run. I think their best footy, was the best I've seen this season (particualrly dismantling Port and Brisbane) - but its a matter of if they can find it again, or whether the last two weeks form has 'set in'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Geelong started to splutter over the last month. They would have to improve a lot to be a contender I reckon.
    Brisbane playing finals on their homeground must be a big advantage for them, but I just don't see them in the same bracket as Richmond.

I think that everything might be coming up Milhaus for the Tiges. Although if we get past St Kilda they won't want to play us in week three if we get through.
    We can't play Richmond in a prelim. It would either be in a semi if they lose to Brisbane, or a Grand Final.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    We can't play Richmond in a prelim. It would either be in a semi if they lose to Brisbane, or a Grand Final.
    GF will do
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.