• VFL quality

0 0%
  • Delist

0 0%
  • Needs more time

0 0%
    Post Thanks / Like

Rating our list 2020 Caleb Daniel 35

I thought with the delay of the football it's time to assess our list so I hope I've started this in the right way.
    We can evaluate each player on our list starting with the highest number Lin Jong down to Matthew Suckling.
    The poll will run for a week and when your post in the poll if you can give a reason on your thoughts so we can share your insights.
    At the end we'll see how our list looks in the eyes of WOOF members.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating our list 2020 Caleb Daniel 35

A few stats:
    Height: 168cm
    Weight: 72Kg
    Games: 92

Daniel is a prolific ball-winning midfielder, an astute decision maker and executes well by hand or foot. An U18 All Australian, Daniel arrived at the Kennel from South Adelaide via pick 46 overall in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft. After debuting in Round 14, 2015 and playing 10 games, Daniel played 24 games in season 2016 and finished runner-up in the NAB AFL Rising Star award to Sydney's Callum Mills. Daniel had the last laugh though, as a member of the Western Bulldogs' Grand Final winning side that defeated the Swans to claim the 2016 AFL Premiership. Playing 20 games in both 2017 and 2018 predominantly as a midfield/forward, Daniel transitioned to a full-time role in defense in 2019. Daniel was perhaps on track for All Australian honours before a hamstring injury saw him miss six games, but enjoyed an outstanding season nonetheless. Much like fellow half-back Johannisen, Daniel was a key distributor with the ball. He led the Bulldogs for rebound-50s and effective kicks per game, and was behind just Marcus Bontempelli for metres gained. Daniel will remain at VU Whitten Oval until 2022 after inking a three-year extension during season 2019.

Club Awards:
    Scott West Most Courageous Player - 2019
    LINK

Post Thanks / Like

Daniel has been an incredible performer since he arrived at the club and the fact that he has settled into the back line speaks volumes for his ability to read the game and make good conditions.

I suspect we need to consider making him more of a part with our midfield rotations

Hard to consider picking our best 22 without him in it
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

During ISO, I watched a few old games, and you do forget how good this bloke is. No wonder Champion Data ranked him as one of the best kicks in the competition, he rarely wastes a kick and seems to have all the time in the world to spot a player. He could easily go back to the forward half if we are looking for someone to deliver the ball to a team mate deep in the forward line. Once Murphy retired, he was the man to takeover in the baackline.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Daniel is a gun. I really feel like people can’t see past his height to see all the obvious positives he brings, particularly as he was playing his best footy when the rest of the team wasn’t firing. If he was any other player we would’ve been talking about how good we would be once he got back rather than speculating if we’re better without him.

I’ve seen more stringent defences of Taylor Duryea on here, which is totally insane.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Normally an excellent user of the footy and is hard to nab - is he best suited to the back line moving forward? Had our best run in four years in 2019 without him in the side.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Had our best run in four years in 2019 without him in the side.
    I don't believe that was the reason
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't believe that was the reason
    I don't think the Pie Man is saying that is the reason but for whatever reason the observation is factual

There is a fair argument to say some teams had worked him out and he was less effective as a result
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I can see how my post could be interpreted that way - what I should've said was that our back 6-7 functioned effectively without him through that winning period, and that perhaps his occasional gaffe in trying to do a bit much wouldn't be punished as harshly further up the ground - plus being a good kick to a lead is always welcome in a midfield that isn't necessarily great at it
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Normally an excellent user of the footy and is hard to nab - is he best suited to the back line moving forward? Had our best run in four years in 2019 without him in the side.
    I think we a re using him wrong. Look at how he was used in 2016, not as the quarterback out of defense, but the link between the midfield and forwards. We have better backmen, both defensive and offensive. What we lack and what we definitely lacked against Collingwood was someone who could use the ball well forward of centre. He can do this.

12. Likes Hotdog60, The Pie Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that we have an elite intercept marking defender I think if all goes well and the midfield decides to put some pressure on in their areas of the ground Daniel will be a real asset. The quicker we can get it in his hands the better, if that's where we're going to play him.

Like Fredi though, I think he could be used forward of centre a bit more, though that wasn't our issue round one.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I may be on my own, but I feel we are not a better side with Caleb playing.

While we laud his ball use, it is an area I am more critical of. He makes a few blunders that are regularly punished by opposition goals, but the real issue is how much he slows us down.

He takes his time but I want to see more dynamic movement that catches the opposition out.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I may be on my own, but I feel we are not a better side with Caleb playing.

While we laud his ball use, it is an area I am more critical of. He makes a few blunders that are regularly punished by opposition goals, but the real issue is how much he slows us down.

He takes his time but I want to see more dynamic movement that catches the opposition out.
    After watching 2016 all over again apart from a few games Caleb would normally get on his bike as soon as he got the ball and make his decision on the move. This may have changed with the way we started playing in the following seasons.