Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Cash Windfall for MCG Tenant Clubs

This article outlines the generous cash payments due to be given to MCG tenants for playing games at the MCG this years. I think they'll get paid more for playing games in front of nobody this year than we have historically, so bully for them!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...03-p54z7j.html

The AFL's six MCG tenant clubs have landed a multi-million windfall under a COVID-19 emergency deal struck between Australian Rules football and its premier stadium.
    Collingwood, Melbourne, Richmond, Hawthorn, Carlton and Essendon will each receive home game payments estimated at between $150,000 and $200,000 per match for the remainder of the shortened season.

So I guess it's incumbent upon the AFL to deliver similar benefits to all clubs, or at least split the takings across all clubs. But I won't be holding my breath on that one...….
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Thanks Prince Imperial thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cash Windfall for MCG Tenant Clubs

We have battled this in all our history. We should get the same for playing at AFL Stadium
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The article also points out that the AFL pays the MCG a large annual fee. This is from a long term agreement the AFL and MCG made in relation to the building of the Northern Stand.

In 2011 this was around the $6m and it enabled the MCG tenants to get far better match returns than Marvel tenants. Many supporters of these MCG teams have sneered at us for years whilst ignoring the significant welfare largess they were being provided as a result of scheduling by the AFL and this agreement.

aflstadiumreturns.jpg

5. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Could have sworn that Essendon plays most of its home games at Marvel, seems like they are getting the best of both worlds yet again. For a club that has zero respect from the other 17 sides in the competition they get well looked after.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    Could have sworn that Essendon plays most of its home games at Marvel, seems like they are getting the best of both worlds yet again. For a club that has zero respect from the other 17 sides in the competition they get well looked after.
    Similar to Carlton.

Post Thanks / Like

Some good news

AFL’S THREE MARVEL STADIUM TENANT CLUBS SECURE CASH BOOST: EDMUND

THE AFL’S three Marvel Stadium tenant clubs have secured a cash boost, putting them on par with rivals who landed a multi-million windfall in a deal with the MCG.

The six MCG teams – Collingwood, Melbourne, Richmond, Hawthorn, Carlton and Essendon – were earlier this year told they would receive home game payments ranging between $150,000-$200,000.

The unexpected match returns for those clubs, when they expected none in 2020, had put pressure on the AFL to strike a similar deal for Marvel Stadium sides St Kilda, North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs.

Carlton and Essendon split their home games between the two venues.

The cash injection doesn’t fully compensate the clubs’ usual gate returns, but the acts of goodwill have been welcomed.

Melbourne Cricket Club chief executive Stuart Fox earlier this month told SEN that the MCG deal was “really important”.

“It’s such a difficult year for everyone and we’re all hurting financially,” Fox said.

“Under normally circumstances we’d all have contractual obligations to each other, but this year it’s impossible to deliver on those.

“I think we’ve come up with a really good deal. The AFL will obviously pass some money to the MCC as the ground manager of the MCG and we’ve agreed to pass a large percentage of that back to the tenant clubs of the MCG.

“It’s the right thing to do. It’s about partnerships. The way we treat each other in these difficult times is extremely important.”

9. Thanks bornadog, Eastdog, jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Axe Man-Thx for article. Am I misreading it? Cannot see where marvel teams have yet reached a $ cash bonus in article.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Hi Axe Man-Thx for article. Am I misreading it? Cannot see where marvel teams have yet reached a $ cash bonus in article.
    Easy to miss J, it's in the first line of the article. Says we're on par.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh-or rather DOH on my part. That’s brilliant news. Thx. That’s reasonable bikkies for sure.