Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Could the Bulldogs end up winning the Jake Stringer trade?

Link

In the 2017 trade period, the Bulldogs dealt Jake Stringer to Essendon for picks 25 and 30.

Three years on, who has won that trade?

First, let’s look at what the Bulldogs did with those two draft picks. They sent pick 25 to Brisbane as part of the trade that brought Josh Schache to the club.

Pick 30 was also involved in a trade where they sent three second round picks to Carlton in exchange for pick 16 and pick 40 (the other half of the Schache trade).

So in the end they traded Stringer, pick 28 (Sam Taylor – GWS) and a future 2nd round pick (Luke Foley – West Coast) and received Schache and pick 16 (Ed Richards).

Stringer has played 39 games for the Bombers and has kicked 63 goals, pushing through the midfield at stages as well.

Brownlow Medallist Gerard Healy believes the trade remains up in the air, given Stringer has not reached the heights he teased during his early years at the Bulldogs.

“I don’t think at this stage (bringing in Josh Schache) has justified losing Stringer, but in reality I don’t think Stringer has damaged them by his performances at Essendon,” Healy told Sportsday.

“He’s been okay, he’s been good at times, he’s had a couple of great games, but I don’t think he’s continued that absolute upward spiral to superstardom that he was on through that 2015 to 2016 period.

“This is the exciting thing and why people push up for Essendon, Stringer is a bloke who can turn on an All-Australian year at any stage. We know he’s a good stoppage player, he can kick unbelievable goals, but it’s very difficult being a super consistent player inside 50.

“If they can just continue to get a little bit more out of him where he’s finishing in the top 3 in the best and fairest then all of a sudden you can say they’ve won that trade.”

Healy believes on paper, the Bombers look to have won the deal, but the Bulldogs bringing in Schache gives them a chance to turn it around depending on the young key forward’s development.

“If Josh Schache can continue his upward tangent, then they can get out of a deal which, when you lose a player of Stringer’s capability, history could really say you made a blue falling out with him, but he lost his way on the field and off the field, but all I know is he wasn’t the player that he was when we were comparing him to Jesse Hogan as the two up and coming guns of the forward line,” he said.

“(Stringer) makes a valuable contribution, but he hasn’t gone to superstar status. Four years ago he was a superstar, right now he’s a valuable player.

“Ultimately (the Bulldogs) had to find a way to justify that decision and Schache, getting him for unders as well, made it look better than it otherwise was going to.”

Schache has played 27 games for the Bulldogs in two years, kicking 41 goals. Richards has played 41 games since being drafted and immediately found a regular spot in the side.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Could the bulldogs end up winning the jake stringer trade?

Can we have Sam Taylor? Did the giants actually win this trade?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

It might take a while to work out an exact winner but if Schache does continue to improve then we have done very well
    Critical year for both Schache and Richards in terms on building momentum

Both missed our round one team selection
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty narrow lens applied in the analysis, plus a fairly standard sprinkling of Stringer/ Essendon hyperbole from Gerard here.

If he can get to a stage where he's finishing in the top three of the B&F at Essendon then good for him, but I can't see it happening given after his best year there so far he still didn't place in the top ten.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Stringer is well ahead of Schache if we're being honest with ourselves. It's not like Schache was ahead of tall forwards who were beating down the door for selection by performing at VFL level.

The article downplays the trade enabling us to draft Ed Richards. It was a head-scratcher at the time (we did seem to overpay for pick 16) but we are lucky he slid as if we didn't we would have grabbed O'Brien who is just 'ok' so far.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Stringer is well ahead of Schache if we're being honest with ourselves. It's not like Schache was ahead of tall forwards who were beating down the door for selection by performing at VFL level.

The article downplays the trade enabling us to draft Ed Richards. It was a head-scratcher at the time (we did seem to overpay for pick 16) but we are lucky he slid as if we didn't we would have grabbed O'Brien who is just 'ok' so far.
    Perhaps the addition of Josh Bruce will also limit the value in Schache but I like the fact that Schache could move into the 2nd ruck role as well as it's something we need.

There is a bit of work to do with him but hopefully we haven't seen the best of him yet
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

With uncertainty around Naughton's knee Schache may get an early chance to prove himself as well. There are many still calling for Naughts to go back which is now a viable option with Bruce at the club. Schache has strengths. He has a good tank and is highly mobile, being able to play high.

Getting Josh Bruce to the club will be massive for Schache. I remember the huge boost a young Liam Jones got when Barry Hall first came to the club. Jones had his best year when Hall arrived as a very young key forward. If Schache plays i50 for large swathes of the season I'm hoping he takes the opportunity having Bruce at the club affords.

Bruce is a very good but not great player but he's experienced, is in his prime as a key forward, has good hands and is big. He'll demand their best key defender giving Schache a chop out on the double team efforts on him we saw many times last season.

I think we definitely won the off-field trade. Stringer was a poison.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

8. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    With uncertainty around Naughton's knee Schache may get an early chance to prove himself as well. There are many still calling for Naughts to go back which is now a viable option with Bruce at the club. Schache has strengths. He has a good tank and is highly mobile, being able to play high.

Getting Josh Bruce to the club will be massive for Schache. I remember the huge boost a young Liam Jones got when Barry Hall first came to the club. Jones had his best year when Hall arrived as a very young key forward. If Schache plays i50 for large swathes of the season I'm hoping he takes the opportunity having Bruce at the club affords.

Bruce is a very good but not great player but he's experienced, is in his prime as a key forward, has good hands and is big. He'll demand their best key defender giving Schache a chop out on the double team efforts on him we saw many times last season.

I think we definitely won the off-field trade. Stringer was a poison.
    That's the key to the whole conversation.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

10. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    That's the key to the whole conversation.
    Exactly why Healy's narrow focus only tells a small part of the story.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

12. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Agreed, he completely ignores the reason we offloaded him and makes it sound like we traded BHP shares for CBA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Agreed, he completely ignores the reason we offloaded him and makes it sound like we traded BHP shares for CBA.
    I say more like BHP for Bendigo Bank in the hope that would morph into CBA.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    This bit (history could really say you made a blue falling out with him) is particularly ignorant
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say we won the trade the moment we moved him on.
    "It's over. It's all over."

17. Likes Twodogs, Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Richards is promising too. And yes it seems Stringer was a poisoned chalice. When hear was on Stringer often went missing incl. very large chunks of 2016 final series.
    Last edited by josie; 05-06-2020 at 08:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Apart from the off field issues Stringer is still struggling with the same issues he had previously.

1- a liability in transition. Watch him on a turnover
    2- goes to the back of the pack all the time now. He wasn’t doing this early days and he seems to avoid contact unless he is initiating it. This started mid 2016
    3- Poor pressure and repeat efforts. Means when they have all of their talls playing they have a massive lack of pressure.
    4- He doesn’t know when to release the ball. His tackle breaking is s huge asset but once he draws players he should release the ball.

Not the only one with these flaws but he will be a tease if he can’t iron some of them out.

20. Likes Raw Toast liked this post