Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    42,993
    Post Thanks / Like

    Libba presses claims for R2 return as Dogs search for 'hunger'

    Link

    Jack Macrae says Tom Liberatore's return would make the Bulldogs "walk taller"



    TOM LIBERATORE could be right in the mix for round two selection as the Western Bulldogs aim to bring back some intensity and fire around the midfield.

    The Bulldogs were beaten comprehensively around the ball by Collingwood in round one, but the addition of Liberatore would make the team "walk taller", according to midfielder Jack Macrae.

    "Obviously we talk about our intensity and hunger around the footy and he's (Liberatore) probably the number one player at the club when he's at his best and going," Macrae said.

    "When we're at our best that's something that really stands out, our intensity around the ball."

    Liberatore has completed all the training sessions since returning three weeks ago after battling persistent knee problems over the past two seasons.

    Aaron Naughton is also moving well but Tim English hasn’t completed the warm up with his teammates. @aflcomau

    The selection committee will have a few headaches when it comes to selecting the midfield group for round two with Liberatore, Toby McLean, Ed Richards, Patrick Lipinski and Lin Jong all healthy.

    With Lachie Hunter suspended, Jong could be in the mix to grab a spot on the wing.

    "There's a few winners out of the break … but for him (Jong) personally he had a long hamstring injury and he's back fully training now," Macrae said.

    "He was training really well in pre-season so hopefully he can fit back into the mix and push for selection as well."

    Track watch
    Young midfielder Rhylee West showed no signs of discomfort running in straight lines as he rehabilitates his PCL injury.

    Tim English, Zaine Cordy, Roarke Smith and Taylor Duryea were away from the main group during Friday's session.

    English did not participate in the warm-up but the Bulldogs said he would join training later on in the day.

    Duryea was ruled out of round one with a groin injury but he has completed some sessions with the main group since the club returned to training.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Libba presses claims for R2 return as Dogs search for 'hunger'

    "Walk taller"?

    I get it, I'm fangin' to see Libba back too, but the subtext is we're somehow meek without him, or whomever else we deem makes us a 'harder', when you're entitled to expect every solitary player on that list has looked inside themselves after our last two outings and resolved to take personal responsibility it doesn't happen again.

    Suspect I'm just over the conversation about our mental and physical fragility until we demonstrate they're no longer fatal flaws.

    If we can't there's going to be a ready-made narrative we'll find tough to shake.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Libba presses claims for R2 return as Dogs search for 'hunger'

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    "Walk taller"?

    I get it, I'm fangin' to see Libba back too, but the subtext is we're somehow meek without him, or whomever else we deem makes us a 'harder', when you're entitled to expect every solitary player on that list has looked inside themselves after our last two outings and resolved to take personal responsibility it doesn't happen again.

    Suspect I'm just over the conversation about our mental and physical fragility until we demonstrate they're no longer fatal flaws.

    If we can't there's going to be a ready-made narrative we'll find tough to shake.
    I share the frustration, but I also feel that these guys at their core can't change much about who they are.

    Bailey Smith is the guy - and Libba back in will help enormously. Our midfield looks great on paper, but it needs a...spark. While Dahl was seemingly past his best, I reckon we've flat out missed his 2016 attitude on field. He just didn't stop.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Libba presses claims for R2 return as Dogs search for 'hunger'

    Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    I share the frustration, but I also feel that these guys at their core can't change much about who they are.

    Bailey Smith is the guy - and Libba back in will help enormously. Our midfield looks great on paper, but it needs a...spark. While Dahl was seemingly past his best, I reckon we've flat out missed his 2016 attitude on field. He just didn't stop.
    Then we've got a problem that opponents will exploit because they can.

    Nobody's asking Schache or Lipinski or English to mutate into enforcers but we've been horribly non-competitive the last two times we've taken the field - not outplayed and bested by a superior opponent, but easy prey with little to no resistance. You'd hope like hell the players have addressed issues of ownership and accountability, to each other as much as anyone, so we don't need a 'Libba' to come in to protect us. It's a group issue.

    Agreed, Smith's a definite boost on this front, the kid oozes competitiveness, but he'll need support and he's frankly too valuable to be the first one in whenever shit gets willing.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Libba presses claims for R2 return as Dogs search for 'hunger'

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Then we've got a problem that opponents will exploit because they can.

    Nobody's asking Schache or Lipinski or English to mutate into enforcers but we've been horribly non-competitive the last two times we've taken the field - not outplayed and bested by a superior opponent, but easy prey with little to no resistance. You'd hope like hell the players have addressed issues of ownership and accountability, to each other as much as anyone, so we don't need a 'Libba' to come in to protect us. It's a group issue.

    Agreed, Smith's a definite boost on this front, the kid oozes competitiveness, but he'll need support and he's frankly too valuable to be the first one in whenever shit gets willing.
    Especially considering he’s one of the youngest on the list. What does that say about the others? Watching the 2016 prelim last week really highlighted this issue. I never realised how substantial the drop off has been in this area. We’ve lost a lot of toughness since then in Libba (injury), Dal, Biggs, Clay, Moz, Picken, Matty Boyd and even Stringer at times. I mean that’s almost half that prelim/gf squad.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Libba presses claims for R2 return as Dogs search for 'hunger'

    Hoping for a much better effort next Sunday. Our last 2 games certainly have not been good at all. Our midfield influence has been down in the last 2 games and we need to get that right again.
    AFL PREMIERS 2016

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Libba presses claims for R2 return as Dogs search for 'hunger'

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Especially considering he’s one of the youngest on the list. What does that say about the others? Watching the 2016 prelim last week really highlighted this issue. I never realised how substantial the drop off has been in this area. We’ve lost a lot of toughness since then in Libba (injury), Dal, Biggs, Clay, Moz, Picken, Matty Boyd and even Stringer at times. I mean that’s almost half that prelim/gf squad.
    Quite a number of big names there that you don't realise aren't at our club. It certainly adds up over some time.
    AFL PREMIERS 2016

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,382
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Libba presses claims for R2 return as Dogs search for 'hunger'

    If Wallis stands up - he has the body size to do it - the vice captaincy is his for the taking I reckon. You do need to get suspended. Libba did this very well as did Woody during the 2016 final series.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,083
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Libba presses claims for R2 return as Dogs search for 'hunger'

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post


    Homer’s never looked so good
    https://www.instagram.com/shanebiggs/

    Lachie Hunter - Good AFL Player

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    E.J. Whitten Stand
    Posts
    11,160
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Libba presses claims for R2 return as Dogs search for 'hunger'

    His body looks like a pub toilet cubicle.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

  12. Thanks The Bulldogs Bite thanked for this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •