Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How good was.....Danny Southern?

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    Just noted that he got 12 Brownlow votes in his first season as a 19 year defender which is quite remarkable. A fine player who was unfortunately badly constrained by injury.
    Too right and nice pick up. Before the injury to his knee really started to limit him, Southern had played some good football especially early on.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Being overseas in the 90s, I missed his career and only saw him on videos. I know he was missed sorely in the 1997 prelim, would have been handy.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

His 1994 season was even more remarkable by the fact that in only his second game he was annihilated by peak Ablett who kicked 7.7 but that he recovered from that to have a fine season. The team was thrashed but I remember at the time being disgusted that he was thrown to the wolves.

I reckon it played in a part in Wheeler's sacking after the game, though in hindsight he was probably right as Southern had the character to recover from this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    His 1994 season was even more remarkable by the fact that in only his second game he was annihilated by peak Ablett who kicked 7.7 but that he recovered from that to have a fine season. The team was thrashed but I remember at the time being disgusted that he was thrown to the wolves.

I reckon it played in a part in Wheeler's sacking after the game, though in hindsight he was probably right as Southern had the character to recover from this.
    I was working in the area 3 days a week back then and was at the club watching training when all that went down
    I recall Wheels blamed Richard Osborne for the sacking but the loss against Geelong was the real catalyst
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Can’t really comment too much about him as a player as I was just a kid back in the 90s but he is a great character. Played in a few EJ Whitten games over the years. He would be a cool guy to meet with some cool stories I reckon.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

He laid out big Alex Ishchenko in a game against North Melbourne in his first season with a cracking front on hip and shoulder that was within the rules at the time. Good effort for a first year player.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the way Daniel Southern went about his football. He was very committed and battled serious injury throughout his truncated career. I remember at the end his kicking was seriously compromised by injury.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."