Post Thanks / Like

Scott Morrison announces some sport stadiums to reopen in July

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/7new...-c-1096912.amp

Scott Morrison announces some sport stadiums to reopen in July
    AAP
    AAP/7NEWS
    Published: 12/06/2020
    Updated: 12 June 2020 11:46 am

Small sports stadiums with capacities 40,000 seats or less will be allowed to reopen to crowds in July.

The venues will be allowed to sell 10,000 ticketed seats per event, with social distancing measures in place around bars and food outlets.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said larger stadiums, including all of the major AFL grounds, were an entirely separate issue.

He said bigger grounds presented unique challenges around access points and public transport crushes, which required much more significant work.

The chief medical officer will consider reopening larger stadiums on a case-by-case basis.

The rule relaxation will also apply to big arts and cultural venues along with ticketed and seated outdoor festivals.

It will not extend to music festivals where people roam from tent to tent.

Morrison was asked during a press conference on Friday if larger stadiums, like most AFL grounds, would still be allowed to accommodate a smaller number of fans during July.

“This is going to be looked at over the next few weeks,” Morrison said.

“For the larger ones I would venture that it would be the subject of a discrete approval for each venue that would be worked out with the Chief Health Officer in each state or territory.

“So by the time you get into July there may be that type of opportunity for the rules that apply to those under 40,000 carry over to those above 40,000.

“These will be practical, commonsense issues, work through by the medical expert panel over the next few weeks and I think they will give a great instruction.

“The purpose of me saying this today is so sporting codes, venues, state and territory governments, can engage in that appropriate discussion, know broadly what the parameters are which the National Cabinet has set, so it means that people will be able to watch the games, not as cardboard cutouts, but in person, should they be fortunate enough to get one of those seats.”

The AFL stadiums that sneak under the 40,000 limit

GMHBA Stadium (Geelong) - 36,000

Metricon Stadium (Gold Coast) - 25,000

WACA Ground (Perth) - 24,500

Spotless Stadium (Sydney) - 24,000

Princes Park (Melbourne) - 22,000

Manuka Oval (Canberra) - 13,500

The AFL stadiums that miss out

MCG (Melbourne) - 100,000

Optus Stadium (Perth) - 60,000

Adelaide Oval (Adelaide) - 53,500

Marvel Stadium (Melbourne) - 53,400

SCG (Sydney) - 48,000

GABBA (Brisbane) - 42,000
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scott Morrison announces some sport stadiums to reopen in July

Whitten Oval and Eureka Stadium would make it as well.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Whitten Oval and Eureka Stadium would make it as well.
    I get the public transport concerns, but surely 10,000 at Eureka (which would almost be capacity) can't be better than 10,000 at Etihad?

Would an extra 10,000 impact weekend public transport to the point that it would even be as busy as a regular peak workday commute?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I get the public transport concerns, but surely 10,000 at Eureka (which would almost be capacity) can't be better than 10,000 at Etihad?

Would an extra 10,000 impact weekend public transport to the point that it would even be as busy as a regular peak workday commute?
    If you read the finer print, the rules are that the stadium must be fully seated, so each person must buy a ticket so they can trace what seat people are sitting in. Whitten oval ( no hope) and Eureka have limited seating, with Eureka having 5000 seats, but they may have to spread people out.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure that government announcements or news articles should be posted as it can very easily turn into a political debate.
    Or we use the existing COVID 19 threads for articles if we feel the need to post and not create multiple threads.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Not sure that government announcements or news articles should be posted as it can very easily turn into a political debate.
    Or we use the existing COVID 19 threads for articles if we feel the need to post and not create multiple threads.
    Yeah it could be moved to the coronavirus thread. Yeah politics is interesting but agree woof isn't really the place to discuss.