Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  52
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 3 Vs GWS 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I don't get the Libba hesitancy. Take away his crap 2017 and he has barely ever let us down when he plays. Prior to his knee injury last year he was in our best handful of players. His hands are elite in tight and he is a natural ball winner. Our midfield depth is nowhere near as deep as we think, and we surely need a proven extractor in there when we generally concede the hitout more often than not.

If he's 100% right to go, let him rip. He certainly won't take a backward step when GWS unleash the heavy artillery.
    He's slower than my grandmothers half recharged scooter, provided he is played correctly and frees up someone who has leg speed, then its great. Sadly when he did play he was exposed a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

My team for this week.

Daniel, Lew Young, Williams
    JJ, Keath, Crozier
    Jong, Bont, Richards
    Vanda, Naughton, Wallis
    Cav, Bruce, Weightman

Trengove, Macrae, Smith

Inter. Libba, Dunks, English, Lippa
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    My team for this week.

Daniel, Lew Young, Williams
    JJ, Keath, Crozier
    Jong, Bont, Richards
    Vanda, Naughton, Wallis
    Cav, Bruce, Weightman

Trengove, Macrae, Smith

Inter. Libba, Dunks, English, Lippa
    with Williams, JJ and Crozier on the backline I don’t understand why Daniel is there too. The pathetic amount of scoring recently demands an experienced general on the forward line. In this team half of the forwards contribute a total of 3 games experience.

If you swap Daniel and Vanda you gain speed off the backline and organisation on the forward line. And I would expect Daniel’s delivery to make Cav’s and Weightman’s game better.

Post Thanks / Like

IN:
    Libba, Trengove, Shache, Lewis Young, Cordy, McLean

OUT
    Gardner, Gowers, Lloyd, JJ, Bruce, Bevo (omitted)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    IN:
    Libba, Trengove, Shache, Lewis Young, Cordy, McLean

OUT
    Gardner, Gowers, Lloyd, JJ, Bruce, Bevo (omitted)
    How would you line up the team with those ins & outs?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    with Williams, JJ and Crozier on the backline I don’t understand why Daniel is there too. The pathetic amount of scoring recently demands an experienced general on the forward line. In this team half of the forwards contribute a total of 3 games experience.

If you swap Daniel and Vanda you gain speed off the backline and organisation on the forward line. And I would expect Daniel’s delivery to make Cav’s and Weightman’s game better.
    Yes that is possible, why not.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

My dream never-gonna-happen 22:

B: Crozier Naughton Williams
    HB: LaYoung LewYoung Keath
    C: Richards Dunkley Smith
    HF: Lipinski English Cavarra
    F: Weightman Bruce Wallis
    R: Trengove Bont Macrae
    I: Daniel Libba Vandermeer McLean

If Vandermeer doesn't pull up, Jong takes his spot.

Trengove to primarily ruck all day, with English having a few spells on the ball but mainly playing forward or even on the wing & in defence. Try him as a legitimate utility.

We probably wouldn't win with this side, but it would be twice as competitive as the teams we've rolled out the last 2 games.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    My dream never-gonna-happen 22:

B: Crozier Naughton Williams
    HB: LaYoung LewYoung Keath
    C: Richards Dunkley Smith
    HF: Lipinski English Cavarra
    F: Weightman Bruce Wallis
    R: Trengove Bont Macrae
    I: Daniel Libba Vandermeer McLean

If Vandermeer doesn't pull up, Jong takes his spot.

Trengove to primarily ruck all day, with English having a few spells on the ball but mainly playing forward or even on the wing & in defence. Try him as a legitimate utility.

We probably wouldn't win with this side, but it would be twice as competitive as the teams we've rolled out the last 2 games.
    I think we need JJ at HB that backline plays too tall.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I think we need JJ at HB that backline plays too tall.
    I think it matches up fine against GWS with Cameron, Finalyson and Himmelberg.

And even if there is one tall too many, I'd try and get Keath off the leash to zone off as an intercepter.

JJ doesn't deserve a game after last night. You've still got Williams, Crozier and Lachie Young who can run and carry off half back. Plus Daniel & Richards who can roll back if needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    He's slower than my grandmothers half recharged scooter, provided he is played correctly and frees up someone who has leg speed, then its great. Sadly when he did play he was exposed a lot.
    Yes, he's lost a little pace.

Read the autopsy thread though - not a single reason posited for our loss is legspeed. It's effort, care, skills etc. Libba bleeds for the club, is tough as nails and as a beautiful kick if given time on his left boot. If he's close to fit he comes in for mine.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

11. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Yes, he's lost a little pace.

Read the autopsy thread though - not a single reason posited for our loss is legspeed. It's effort, care, skills etc. Libba bleeds for the club, is tough as nails and as a beautiful kick if given time on his left boot. If he's close to fit he comes in for mine.
    I’d add that he has the required hardness and mongrel needed to help tip the contests in the middle in our favour. I’d rather Libber in the maul feeding out the quick handball to Bontempelli et al. Josh Kennedy is pretty damn slow and was about Sydney’s best on the weekend for this reason.

The Saints were able to win the ball out of the contest way too easily, way too often. Is there anything worse than a ball kicked deep into the defence for a team that decides to play 6 million HBF’s and minimum chips KPD’s?

13. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    The Saints were able to win the ball out of the contest way too easily, way too often.
    Clerances were three different in their favour and we won the stoppages, so this is not true.

The worse stat were the clangers. We had 58 to their 44 - we handed them the game.

Post Thanks / Like

A major part of the Dog’s problem is the lack of success in getting the ball to a runner who has space to run.
    This has been leading to unhelpful handball and poor delivery.

We need a player whose talent is getting the ball to Bont or JJ who can open the game up and deliver with precision. That person doesn’t need speed. They need the talents that Libba has displayed.

(with those knees I prefer that he doesn’t run, walking is sufficient)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    A major part of the Dog’s problem is the lack of success in getting the ball to a runner who has space to run.
    This has been leading to unhelpful handball and poor delivery.

We need a player whose talent is getting the ball to Bont or JJ who can open the game up and deliver with precision. That person doesn’t need speed. They need the talents that Libba has displayed.

(with those knees I prefer that he doesn’t run, walking is sufficient)
    I would be suprised if Libba doesn't play this week, unless he has had a setback

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Clerances were three different in their favour and we won the stoppages, so this is not true.

The worse stat were the clangers. We had 58 to their 44 - we handed them the game.
    Just because the numbers were relatively even doesn't mean that it isn't true. I am asserting that this should have been an area of the game (on paper at least) we should have dominated, not lost overall.

Critically, the centre clearances were 14-9 their way. If you are going to pick a team with as few KPD's as we did (knowing they were going in tall) you are banking on winning centre clearances.

The clangers were definitely a problem. So was the ease that the took the ball out of the contest on far too many occasions.