Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  52
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 3 Vs GWS 2020

About what I expected. Cordy is barely an improvement on Gardner but good to see Libba back in the side.

If our structure stays the same as last week and it looks like it will, we’ll get belted.

GWS by 6 goals+
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

If I were JT I'd be looking elsewhere, clearly not gonna get a look-in at the Dogs. Happy to see Libba back.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

3. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    If I were JT I'd be looking elsewhere, clearly not gonna get a look-in at the Dogs. Happy to see Libba back.
    Same. Is there a mid year draft this year?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Our Toby in, their Toby out. Good.

I actually saw a few things in Lippa’s game I wasn’t thrilled with. But you’d say compared to Lloyd and Dale who were diabolical, he was unlucky.

The team looks better. I don’t have the sense of horror I had last week. Sounds like faint praise I know.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

6. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Surprised as well with Lipinski out but happy to see Libba back and Gardner and Gowers go out to make way for Mclean and Cordy. Hopefully McLean can recapture some form. We need to utilise players strengths. Some experiments work like Naughton from defence to forward but other don’t work like play JJ and Wood in front of the ball - clearly they are better suited behind it.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Our Toby in, their Toby out. Good.

I actually saw a few things in Lippa’s game I wasn’t thrilled with. But you’d say compared to Lloyd and Dale who were diabolical, he was unlucky.

The team looks better. I don’t have the sense of horror I had last week. Sounds like faint praise I know.
    Maybe he didn't follow coaching instructions. Bevo did say we needed to tweak things around stoppages, perhaps Lippa was the culprit.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Same. Same help for English would have also been a preffered option.
    He has Bont, Dunks and Jong - that's plenty of ruck depth
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

10. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes G-Mo77, Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Don’t forget possible the worst of the lot - Josh Bruce
    More of an In Bruges guy?

12. Likes Sedat, G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, the Giants have Jacobs and not much else, so this isn’t the worst week to go in with a dodgy 2nd ruck option. Reckon Sweet will get a shot soon though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Surprised as well with Lipinski out but happy to see Libba back and Gardner and Gowers go out to make way for Mclean and Cordy. Hopefully McLean can recapture some form. We need to utilise players strengths. Some experiments work like Naughton from defence to forward but other don’t work like play JJ and Wood in front of the ball - clearly they are better suited behind it.
    Yes and no. I thought he was good early, but he and Libba are the same player really. I think we have left ourselves a little hanstrung - English fails what then? NAughts has to go back to stem the flow - what then? Dropping Lloyd or Dale for Sweet/Trengove/Schache would have just given us a bit more flex. Like a few others on here I think we need to bring our A++ game or we are going to get belted......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    To be fair, the Giants have Jacobs and not much else, so this isn’t the worst week to go in with a dodgy 2nd ruck option. Reckon Sweet will get a shot soon though.
    English has struggled with good combinations (like Marshall/Ryder last week) but he has also really struggled 1-on-1 against naturally adept stoppage ruckmen (Goldy, Witts, Grundy, Gawn) - Jacobs falls into the latter category.

It will be a huge challenge for Tim this week.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

I would have had Lippa in Dale out.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Yes and no. I thought he was good early, but he and Libba are the same player really. I think we have left ourselves a little hanstrung - English fails what then? NAughts has to go back to stem the flow - what then? Dropping Lloyd or Dale for Sweet/Trengove/Schache would have just given us a bit more flex. Like a few others on here I think we need to bring our A++ game or we are going to get belted......
    Yes for sure. We need to bring back our forward pressure that we started to hone late last year and that requires our mids hitting up the targets and our defenders working hard as they didn't last Sunday.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I think Lippa is a bit similar with our other prolific ball winning mids, and having all of them in the side and trying to win the ball as a first priority and not being opposition focused is great if they're all on song and the opposition's midfield isn't that flash. But if they're not on song and the opposition has a good midfield it becomes really difficult down the ground when we don't have it and getting it up the ground when we do.

Libba and Toby coming in will hopefully change the dynamic a bit and give us a bit more balance between see ball get ball type of play, and actually thinking about the possibility of not getting the ball.

I really hope Libba gets through the game and gets some continuity, he's looking really fit.

Beveridge is on record as thinking the issues with the team aren't really related to the functionionging of the forward line, I'd argue he's mostly correct but should put more consideration into who can actually stifle opposition transition if the forward function falls over a little. Not sure having both Dale and Lloyd in the team does this enough, however, forward line function is largely dependent on how good the entries are and this is heavily dependent on the guys in the middle and defence. So overall I'm not too phased by these guys being retained, though if we do provide enough opportunities and they don't deliver then one of them has to go. When things aren't going your way then you need to find different ways to contribute and it doesn't seem these guys have, so if there's not excused they need to perform.

Given Keath hasn't played much with Cordy, Wood being out and English needing help, Trengove should have been included. We really miss Wood and a guy who finished seventh (fourteen votes out of fourth) in the Charles Sutton Medal last year, though is in my view unfairly maligned by some, would be a handy inclusion to a defence that is finding its feet.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

English has struggled with good combinations (like Marshall/Ryder last week) but he has also really struggled 1-on-1 against naturally adept stoppage ruckmen (Goldy, Witts, Grundy, Gawn) - Jacobs falls into the latter category.

It will be a huge challenge for Tim this week.
    English should get him around the ground. The lack of support for Tim is still a worry.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers