Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  52
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 3 Vs GWS 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    He has Bont, Dunks and Jong - that's plenty of ruck depth
    Don't forget Zaine. We're truly spoiled for relief ruck riches.

Odds on we'll see Daniel line up for a tap before Trengove's sighted again.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    About what I expected. Cordy is barely an improvement on Gardner but good to see Libba back in the side.

If our structure stays the same as last week and it looks like it will, we’ll get belted.

GWS by 6 goals+
    At least Zaine understands what the hell we're trying to do down there unlike both Gardner and Keath. He's been a fixture in our back line since 2016 and worked alongside Moz and Keith. He's a massive upgrade on Gardner even if he is undersized.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

3. Likes Axe Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I would have had Lippa in Dale out.
    Dale hasn't kicked a goal in his last three matches
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Dale hasn't kicked a goal in his last three matches
    He's hardly Robinson Crusoe there.

I think the form of players like Dale and Lloyd is more a symptom than a cause of our woes. Of course defensive pressure is non-negotiable though - regardless of how the ball in coming in a forward can control their effort. If this part of their game isn't meeting expectations then by all means replace them with someone who will provide what's needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Don't forget Zaine. We're truly spoiled for relief ruck riches.

Odds on we'll see Daniel line up for a tap before Trengove's sighted again.
    Bring back Cooney.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Beveridge is on record as thinking the issues with the team aren't really related to the functionionging of the forward line, I'd argue he's mostly correct but should put more consideration into who can actually stifle opposition transition if the forward function falls over a little.
    Congratulations you win word of the week! I feel it really does encapsulate the current state of our gameplan.

8. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    He's hardly Robinson Crusoe there.

I think the form of players like Dale and Lloyd is more a symptom than a cause of our woes. Of course defensive pressure is non-negotiable though - regardless of how the ball in coming in a forward can control their effort. If this part of their game isn't meeting expectations then by all means replace them with someone who will provide what's needed.
    Dale: Two tackles in three games

I agree delivery into the forward line has been woeful and given no chance to the forwards

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Even still both Dale and Lloyd have been putrid.

I'd drop both of them with no hesitation if there's not a significant spike in their performance tonight. It's nice that we are playing 'genuine forwards' but if they're not contributing either offensively or defensively, then out you go. They're both still lucky to be playing.

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    At least Zaine understands what the hell we're trying to do down there unlike both Gardner and Keath. He's been a fixture in our back line since 2016 and worked alongside Moz and Keith. He's a massive upgrade on Gardner even if he is undersized.
    Cordy has one of the worst defensive one-on-one records in the league over the past few years.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't find who said it to reply to but I don't think our midfield has been the worst of our problems. They're having down games in terms of skill execution and overall impact but I don't think it can't be said they aren't trying.

To support this contention I checked out the stats and saw that all of our lead horses (Smith, Dunkley, Macrae and Bont) are inside the AFL's top 25 for pressure acts. When you add in that they're basically having to shark the opposition ruckman full time then I think they deserve a little bit more slack (also need to consider that they're likely our 4 best players or close to).

I'm way more worried about our lack of forward pressure putting too much heat on both these guys and the backline to defend undefendable situations. Looking at this same stat Lloyd has been far and away our best forward line performer (I've got work to do and can't rationalise going back more than 5 pages), with results comparable to the league's best pressure small forwards; hes ahead of Lachlan Murphy and only a few behind Castagna, for example. I think he should be continually selected until that changes, especially given his proven capacity as a goalkicker. Again, his performance hasn't been overwhelming but I don't think it can be denied the effort is there.

If we can get similar effort from guys like Dale (lol), McLean and eventually Weightman and Cavarra it'll go a long way to solving our issues.
    Last edited by Happy Days; 19-06-2020 at 12:51 PM.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

14. Likes Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Cordy has one of the worst defensive one-on-one records in the league over the past few years.
    And Trengove one of the best

I could live with Cordy as defensive third banana next to Trengove & Keath, but Trengove's continued absence is really starting to grate.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I'm way more worried about our lack of forward pressure putting too much heat on both these guys and the backline to defend undefendable situations. Looking at this same stat Lloyd has been far and away our best forward line performer (I've got work to do and can't rationalise going back more than 5 pages), with results comprable to the league's best pressure small forwards; hes ahead of Lachlan Murphy and only a few behind Castagna, for example. I think he should be continually selected until that changes, especially given his proven capacity as a goalkicker. Again, his performance hasn't been overwhelming but I don't think it can be denied the effort is there.
    That's surprising, but I guess it's hard to see everything on the TV. I've been impressed with Naughton's workrate in the forwardline so would be surprised if he was a long was back on the pressure act stats.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

To support this contention I checked out the stats and saw that all of our lead horses (Smith, Dunkley, Macrae and Bont) are inside the AFL's top 25 for pressure acts. When you add in that they're basically having to shark the opposition ruckman full time then I think they deserve a little bit more slack (also need to consider that they're likely our 4 best players or close to).
    They also need to hit targets, especially inside 50. Maybe the targets aren't presenting well enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't find who said it to reply to but I don't think our midfield has been the worst of our problems. They're having down games in terms of skill execution and overall impact but I don't think it can't be said they aren't trying.

To support this contention I checked out the stats and saw that all of our lead horses (Smith, Dunkley, Macrae and Bont) are inside the AFL's top 25 for pressure acts. When you add in that they're basically having to shark the opposition ruckman full time then I think they deserve a little bit more slack
    I said this all of last year. They don’t set up for attacking football. Most of their clearances are from the opposing ruckman and this often means it is under pressure, a low quality clearance soon followed by a turnover. That’s one of the reasons the Dogs are having no impact on the scoreboard for long periods of time.

When English gets the hitout it’s not unusual to see the ball go away from our mids, they weren’t expecting it

We need a change of mindset.

Backline: genuine key position players (Trengove and Naughton).
    Midfield: ruckman who takes the initiative away from opposition (Sweet or Trengove). With a capable 2nd ruck (English)
    Forward line: Tall targets who can kick reliably (English at CHF).

Then the whole team will be under less pressure and hopefully display better skills. What we have seen so far is a complete shambles and it is unfair to try to pin it on individuals.

19. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post