Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  52
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 3 Vs GWS 2020

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    Just because the numbers were relatively even doesn't mean that it isn't true. I am asserting that this should have been an area of the game (on paper at least) we should have dominated, not lost overall.

Critically, the centre clearances were 14-9 their way. If you are going to pick a team with as few KPD's as we did (knowing they were going in tall) you are banking on winning centre clearances.

The clangers were definitely a problem. So was the ease that the took the ball out of the contest on far too many occasions.
    When Dan Butler and Zak Jones are made to look like vintage Gary Ablett Jr you know you're doing something wrong. We let them do whatever they pleased for most of the night.

2. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would be suprised if Libba doesn't play this week, unless he has had a setback
    While we're all fangin' to see Libba back on the park you'd hope the ace up Bevo's sleeve this week doesn't amount to recalling a bloke whose last game of competitive football was eleven months ago, not least of all because we need some 'protection'.

Perhaps it was the looming five day break but it's concerning he wasn't deemed fit for the Saints game ... Is an extra five days truly the difference after he's had almost a year to get the knees right?

Part of me worries throwing him in cold against the Giants isn't the best recipe for success, for Libba or us, particularly given the way we're travelling.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Clerances were three different in their favour and we won the stoppages, so this is not true.

The worse stat were the clangers. We had 58 to their 44 - we handed them the game.
    For me the worst stats were the saints had 60 more kicks and 40 more marks.

In other words, more penetration (1500m) and time to gain composure (10 minutes).

The way the Dogs are playing gives neither. I feel sorry for the players. Unless they are given a structurally balanced team and a better game plan to follow there’s no reason to try harder. It is pointless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    For me the worst stats were the saints had 60 more kicks and 40 more marks.

In other words, more penetration (1500m) and time to gain composure (10 minutes).

The way the Dogs are playing gives neither. I feel sorry for the players. Unless they are given a structurally balanced team and a better game plan to follow there’s no reason to try harder. It is pointless.
    I agree that we over handballed and under kicked, as I posted in another thread.

However to be fair to the coaches it seems that was not the plan. Sounds like the players didn't push hard enough or quickly enough in transition to provide kicking options to the ball carrier. Could be mindset, fitness or personnel. Probably a combination of all three.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I agree that we over handballed and under kicked, as I posted in another thread.

However to be fair to the coaches it seems that was not the plan. Sounds like the players didn't push hard enough or quickly enough in transition to provide kicking options to the ball carrier. Could be mindset, fitness or personnel. Probably a combination of all three.
    Also the Saints pressure on our players forcing us to handball out of trouble.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

I am sure the commentators mentioned the handball statistics at about 3/4 time and said Beveridge wasn’t concerned.

Handball gets the players tired, bashed and out of position. I’m struggling to see much benefit the way we do it.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure the commentators mentioned the handball statistics at about 3/4 time and said Beveridge wasn’t concerned.

Handball gets the players tired, bashed and out of position. I’m struggling to see much benefit the way we do it.
    I think you will find Bevo was concerned with the number of handballs to kicks ratio.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

You are right, they did, however that is not what Bevo said post game which is all we have to go off. During the game I'm sure he didn't want to acknowledge to the opposition that he was overly concerned by it.

Post Thanks / Like

Out- English, Gardner, lloyd, Dale, gowers, suckling
    In- Trengove, Schache, Cordy, weightman, libba, McLean

And FFS play Naughton back.

B: Crozier Naughton Williams
    HB: JJ Cordy Keath
    C: Richards Dunkley Smith
    HF: Lipinski Schache Daniel
    F: Weightman Bruce Wallis
    R: Trengove Bont Macrae
    I: Jong Libba Vandermeer McLean
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Out- English, Gardner, lloyd, Dale, gowers, suckling
    In- Trengove, Schache, Cordy, weightman, libba, McLean

And FFS play Naughton back.

B: Crozier Naughton Williams
    HB: JJ Cordy Keath
    C: Richards Dunkley Smith
    HF: Lipinski Schache Daniel
    F: Weightman Bruce Wallis
    R: Trengove Bont Macrae
    I: Jong Libba Vandermeer McLean
    I like most of it, but I think you have to persist with English.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I understand, and I didn’t want to drop him, but against Jacobs, we need a big body, especially playing English as the only ruckman.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

The Naughton-in-defence train is gathering steam...

I love it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

14. Likes jeemak, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The Naughton-in-defence train is gathering steam...

I love it.
    You've got the right answer but your working out is wrong. I like Naughton up forward more but we don't really have the luxury given Timmy has been woeful in the ruck and the backline desperately need someone to actually play on someone.

I still think we're a very real chance of doing something this year but only with the positional moves that playing Naughton in defence allows us to make. I've actually really liked how English has looked as a forward, Trengove will at least break even in the ruck and if Naughton is Carey he has it in him to be Jakovich too I guess.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I don’t like Schache at centre half forward. He is not good enough over his head, but he is excellent on a lead if the ball is coming in correctly. One of English’s strengths is his overhead ability ( when that is all he has to worry about).

So English CHF and Schache out of a pocket.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with most other posters. 2-3 changes makes us an immeasurably more balanced and talented side.

Gardner out for Trengrove - brings in a bigger body to pinch hit in the ruck and allows Keath to chop out in defence with more confidence. The leadership benefits of bringing in one of the oldest and experienced players on our list are also significant.

Gowers out for Libba - we know Bont will get tagged, and he has been horrible in his last three games - so let's start him at half forward, with a midfield of Libba, Dunkley, Macrae, Bazlenka, Lipinski, Wallis in the first quarter or so. They'll probably put de Boer on Dunkley or Macrae, and hopefully Bont can get in the game without that attention.

Of the other potential changes, my preferred would be Bailey Dale out for Mclean. I don't see it as a massive change to our side though, as Mclean's season on the half-forward line was unimpressive. I only really want him in the side if he's pushing someone out of the midfield rotations - and that's not on the cards.

I don't think Suckling has been bad enough to drop.

I definitely don't think English has been bad enough to drop. Compare his career trajectory to Max Gawn and he comes out favourably - he just needs support, more experience and more strength.

I wouldn't bring in Weightman yet - he can use the scratch match on the weekend to show his wares.
    Last edited by jazzadogs; 17-06-2020 at 12:12 AM.

18. Likes bornadog liked this post