Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  52
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 3 Vs GWS 2020

It's interesting re Schache....why did we bother recruiting him if we don't rate him? Same goes for Trengove. We've spoken about it in other threads but this points to poor recruiting. These are two guys we went out of our way to bring to the kennel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    It's interesting re Schache....why did we bother recruiting him if we don't rate him? Same goes for Trengove. We've spoken about it in other threads but this points to poor recruiting. These are two guys we went out of our way to bring to the kennel
    Reading between the lines, there are obviously some issues with Schache and at a guess his fitness following ISO.

Hopefully Trengove comes in this week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Reading between the lines, there are obviously some issues with Schache and at a guess his fitness following ISO.

Hopefully Trengove comes in this week.
    It's a shame because he could be so useful for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Ruckmen are a dime a dozen. Sure not the top few in the league, Grundy, Gawn, Goldstien, etc. But competent ruckmen aren't difficult to find and they can't all have been born with this mythical ruck ability. Why even bother with ruck coaches if you can't possibly teach someone to ruck and they are "born that way"?

Pittonet from Carlton has received some praise for his game against Gawn on the weekend. He is a classic eker ruckman managing a handful of games for Hawthorn over many years before being traded to Carlton for a packet of chips. Surely he is not naturally blessed with some innate ruck ability? I reckon he's probably just a big bloke that has been toiling away for years and has potentially developed to a level where he can be competitive at AFL level.

At the moment all we need Tim to be is competitive, he doesn't have to be the second coming of Polly Farmer or Dean Cox.
    According to the AFL website Gawn was best on ground by a country mile.

Gawn 123 points vs 74 for Pittonet.
    For comparison: English 55.

On these figures if English improves 50% he will be worth a packet of chips.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    According to the AFL website Gawn was best on ground by a country mile.

Gawn 123 points vs 74 for Pittonet.
    For comparison: English 55.

On these figures if English improves 50% he will be worth a packet of chips.
    Are you seriously basing an argument on fantasy points? You must also know that champion data had it as 184 v 134? That's an impressive score for an unknown ruckman, but really these scores have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Anyway I'm only going from what I read, I didn't watch it - fact is he received some praise and had 10 hitouts to advantage. No doubt Gawn won the duel.

But really all that is beside the point I was making.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you seriously basing an argument on fantasy points? You must also know that champion data had it as 184 v 134? That's an impressive score for an unknown ruckman, but really these scores have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Anyway I'm only going from what I read, I didn't watch it - fact is he received some praise and had 10 hitouts to advantage. No doubt Gawn won the duel.

and Melbourne won by 1 point, so really worked well.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t usually watch much football other than Dog’s games, that’s why I look at stats for other teams. My understanding of the fantasy points is they are awarded for specific things so I assume they are more accurate than a commentator’s recollection (although not totally dismissing what they say).

when I looked at a set of statistics covering about 50 games (a year or two ago) there was a pattern, the team with a dominant ruckman usually won.

That seems to still apply.

Carlton could not hold Gawn, they lost. Not by much. But the victor gets the spoils.

Post Thanks / Like

We went out of our way to get Trengove and have hardly used him since.

Shache on the other hand was an after thought and an attempt to save face after we didn't get what we wanted for Stringer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    We went out of our way to get Trengove and have hardly used him since.
    I wouldn't say hardly. He played 16 games in 2018, and 16 in 2019. I don't remember if he missed any through injury.

Edit: Missed 7 games in 2018 due to a shoulder injury.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I wouldn't say hardly. He played 16 games in 2018, and 16 in 2019. I don't remember if he missed any through injury.

Edit: Missed 7 games in 2018 due to a shoulder injury.
    Good thing we've evolved the list to the point we've got no use for a genuine key back with strong character and leadership skills who can also spell our callow young first ruck should we so desire it.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

11. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Good thing we've evolved the list to the point we've got no use for a genuine key back with strong character and leadership skills who can also spell our callow young first ruck should we so desire it.
    He will be back

Post Thanks / Like

It nice to see some of the media actually ask questions re selection. Normally the questions are fluff, Bevo needs to be questioned around this there is no doubt about it.

He shot himself in the foot, with no reserves its the last thing you want to do is ring the changes, continuity is key atm its not the year to go discovering your best 22 if you want to play finals.

Its also not the year to loose games early because of the floating fixture the prime-time games we have been allotted, will disappear very quickly indeed, get ready for 1pm Sunday if we cant get any traction soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    It nice to see some of the media actually ask questions re selection. Normally the questions are fluff, Bevo needs to be questioned around this there is no doubt about it.

He shot himself in the foot, with no reserves its the last thing you want to do is ring the changes, continuity is key atm its not the year to go discovering your best 22 if you want to play finals.
    This was half the folly of our round two selection masterstrokes.

Now - assuming the match committee responds with the axe - we're tossing another handful of underdone players into the fire against a flag favourite who'll be fired up after a loss, let alone to bully us again.

Either that or for the sake of continuity stick largely with the mob who shart the bed against the Saints.

Some pretty appetising choices there.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Both Trengrove and Schache should be playing. We may well have over rated Keath and Bruce

16. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Helping out with ruck duties alone should be enough the rest of that is just icing on the cake. Why we continue to feed English to hungry wolves game after game is stupidity! He needs help for ^#&@ sake!