Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  29
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 5 Vs North Melbourne 2020

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    At least you know with Schache, if he only has 3 kicks at goal in a game, he's invariably ending up with 3 goals.

Best set shot at the club (besides Wallis and Dicko but they max out at around 40m).

The problem with Bruce though is if he doesn't play at AFL level, he doesn't really get a chance to work on his match fitness and will probably just end up ballooning out more.

Allen Jackovich 2.0 at this point.
    OMFG! Allen Jackovich. On $$$ for goals he was in a class of his own. If I never hear that name again ...
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think there are two logical changes to the side to play North given the injuries we had on Thursday night
    Schache for Naughton makes sense
    Greene or Dickson for Lloyd also makes sense. We might even roll the dice on playing Weightman

Or could it make more sense to bring in two taller players as an insurance to cover Brown and Goldstein as there is a strong chance we might have to use Cordy in the ruck for a period of time.
    Could Lewis Young or Gardener be in consideration?

North have two taller players that can dominate against us in Goldy and Brown plus a number of mid sized players like Thomas, Zurhaar, Ziebell, Hall, Higgins, Simpkin and Anderson that can impact the scoreboard so it's going to be a great test for us

I think we need to bring in two taller players but I concede that is probably unlikely,
    While i don't disagree with your reasoning, I can't see that happening.

The fact that north have those taller players is more likely to encourage Bevo to go small.

Surely we are due to play Weightman. After only we have only debuted 3 players in 4 rounds of footy.

My personal choice would be
    Schache or Lew Young to replace Naughton
    Jong (if fit) deserves his spot and that would cover Lloyd and I can't think of anyone from last week who would deserve to miss.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Another factor at play is the lack of VFL football, providing a strong incentive for all clubs to rotate many players through the senior team, in order to keep them match fit and engaged.
    There have been at least two scratch matches in the last two weeks against North and Collingwood. I haven't seen any results or reports on who has played well.

I really don't know who is going to play against Brown.

I like GVGjr idea of bringing in two talls.

Trengove on Brown, Schache to the forward line.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Why wouldn't Keath be playing on Brown, the same way that he dominated Jeremy Cameron?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Why wouldn't Keath be playing on Brown, the same way that he dominated Jeremy Cameron?
    I don't see him as a one on one, but yeah, he did play well against Cameron.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Brown sucks. I refuse to gameplan for him and I will die on this hill. Every time he touches the ball in general play it looks like it's for the first time ever.

I think we need to look at putting some time into Simpkin. Could be a job for McLean although he isn't really the type of player we've been using McLean to target.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Brown sucks. I refuse to gameplan for him and I will die on this hill. Every time he touches the ball in general play it looks like it's for the first time ever.

I think we need to look at putting some time into Simpkin. Could be a job for McLean although he isn't really the type of player we've been using McLean to target.
    If you negate Goldstein then you automatically restrict Brown, and their midfielders.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't see him as a one on one, but yeah, he did play well against Cameron.
    BAD, Keith has to be our first choice one on one defender otherwise it falls to Cordy.

I had the same opinion of Keith until the Giants game against Cameron.

If he gets support from our midfield and forwards with defensive pressure and we set up the ground properly he can be our number 1 one on one defender and succeed.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The reality of the Ben Brown match up - is that it doesn't really matter who you play on him if you allow enough space for him to lead and don't put enough pressure on the ball to stop the ball coming in to him easily. If Brown has space and the ball is coming in to him on the lead, then he kicks goals. He isn't going to take pack marks and beat us that way - although he will get hammered in the press this weak for his pathetic efforts vs Hawthorn so may at least be more competitive in the air.

Against Sydney, there were periods in the game where their small players were getting hit up on the lead. It is a backline that doesn't have much experience playing together.

Pretty important that we can get the upper hand in the middle, and pretty important that when we get it into our front half, that we're able to keep it there.

11. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ins: Schache, Weightman, Dickson
    Outs: Naughton, Vandermeer, Lloyd

Not sold on Vandermeer a nice sidestep and mark and goal is great but a 7 disposal game against Sydney was damning. He's not overly quick, strong or aggressive, bit of an almost player to me with a penetrating kick. Try him again later in the season if we have injuries.

I'd play Weightman across half forward.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

If our mids dominate this game
    We could put Caleb Daniel on him . Hopefully Cunnington misses another week

Post Thanks / Like

Have been pretty happy with Lloyd's pressure the past few weeks, so was a shame to see him hurt on Thursday - but it does present an opportunity to set up our forward line more in line with the lock it in approach we all would agree we need.

Despite it youthening* our side even more, Weightman must be a huge chance to come in.

Would stick with Vandermeer. though if Jong is fit (how long is he supposed to be out for?) then he probably would take his spot.

Schache, Young...Schache, Young..... Schache for mine, though Young offers more flexibility. Will neither play?

*that's a word now
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    The reality of the Ben Brown match up - is that it doesn't really matter who you play on him if you allow enough space for him to lead and don't put enough pressure on the ball to stop the ball coming in to him easily. If Brown has space and the ball is coming in to him on the lead, then he kicks goals. He isn't going to take pack marks and beat us that way - although he will get hammered in the press this weak for his pathetic efforts vs Hawthorn so may at least be more competitive in the air.

Against Sydney, there were periods in the game where their small players were getting hit up on the lead. It is a backline that doesn't have much experience playing together.

Pretty important that we can get the upper hand in the middle, and pretty important that when we get it into our front half, that we're able to keep it there.
    Yeah the game pretty much all comes down to this. Unfortuantely it hasn't been our strong point lately. Even last week we allowed Papley quite a few marks on the lead. We didn't do too bad but it was also on the small SCG where space is even more hard to come by. At the larger Marvel it will be even more critical that our mids and backs be disciplined as Brown will carve us a new one if he's allowed space to lead into. Remember we are the bulldogs. Who tall, gangly, low talent forwards thrive against.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Ins: Schache, Weightman, Dickson
    Outs: Naughton, Vandermeer, Lloyd

Not sold on Vandermeer a nice sidestep and mark and goal is great but a 7 disposal game against Sydney was damning. He's not overly quick, strong or aggressive, bit of an almost player to me with a penetrating kick. Try him again later in the season if we have injuries.

I'd play Weightman across half forward.
    Say what? He's one of the quickest players we have.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Cavarra is available, Wood and Jong are a test so may come in?