Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  83
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bevo and our efforts

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    We've spoken about assistants before, do we lack a fresh voice? I get covid puts pay to that for the short term but watching Essendon v the Swans I could clearly see Caracella's influence on their game style they really setup well behind the play.
    In an ideal scenario we need a contrast to Bevo's style much like a Brett Montgomery might offer
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes Grantysghost, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

its such an interesting topic.

Bevo is a different cat, always has been, and at times such a different cat that other different cats thought "gee he's really different"

in saying that, what I feel at the minute is that the club has gone from "comrades in arms" in 2016 to "A workplace" there's no passion, no sticking up for each other, just a whole bunch of people going about their jobs quite un-remarkably.

I don't have an issue with trying out players like Gardener and Gowers. who knows you may find another Matty Boyd, however, you can only give them so much of a chance, and clearly that chance has expired. You need to cut your losses, accept the sunk cost as a write off and move forward.

Ive got no doubt we need a change in leadership, but to me, its not Bevo, its the assistant coaching brigade, Bevo is a great leader of people, but that doesn't make a brilliant coach, that is where he needs some help.

Right now, we are the most "non-bulldog" we've been since Rhode. That has to change. We have a great list, we really do. lets not waste it.

4. Likes azabob, Grantysghost, 1eyedog, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    We've spoken about assistants before, do we lack a fresh voice? I get covid puts pay to that for the short term but watching Essendon v the Swans I could clearly see Caracella's influence on their game style they really setup well behind the play.
    Probably off topic, but who is coaching Essendon - serious question as its not Worsfold
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Probably off topic, but who is coaching Essendon - serious question as its not Worsfold
    Looked like Rutten and Caracella.

7. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Just on Bevo's pressers and his 'Bevo Brief' message today.
    Do they do anything to inspire some confidence for supporters and dare I say the playing group that we have things in hand or does it come across as a coach struggling to pinpoint what the problem is?

Once again, this isn't a go at Bevo and I get and accept that his style is a bit different to most but it's not instilling in me the thought we are closer to a fix.
    It's not inspiring me with confidence.

I referenced earlier in this thread the type of language he used in 2015 and 2016 is a total 180 to now.

He seemed to spend a bit of time in the coaches box straight after the final siren, quiet perplexed and trying to process what the heck just happened out there.

The scary thing for me is, we have had a whole summer and then a further 8 odd weeks to figure this all out.

We are no closer to an answer.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

In an ideal scenario we need a contrast to Bevo's style much like a Brett Montgomery might offer
    Unfortunately it is what is needed, and it has been needed for a few years...
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    It's not inspiring me with confidence.

I referenced earlier in this thread the type of language he used in 2015 and 2016 is a total 180 to now.

He seemed to spend a bit of time in the coaches box straight after the final siren, quiet perplexed and trying to process what the heck just happened out there.

The scary thing for me is, we have had a whole summer and then a further 8 odd weeks to figure this all out.

We are no closer to an answer.
    Agree with this. He looks devoid of a solution.

What he needs to do is get back to fundamentals; what does a good side look like? What is typically proven? Philosophies such as having a big key defender (Trengove) supported by agile second/third talls (Keath, either Young/Wood etc), adequate ruck support and forward pressure (McLean, Cav, West and likely Weightman all offer something more in this space than the trio of Lloyd/Dale/Gowers).

If you continue to try to be the smartest guy in the room, you'll continue to fail.

11. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Agree with this. He looks devoid of a solution.

What he needs to do is get back to fundamentals; what does a good side look like? What is typically proven? Philosophies such as having a big key defender (Trengove) supported by agile second/third talls (Keath, either Young/Wood etc), adequate ruck support and forward pressure (McLean, Cav, West and likely Weightman all offer something more in this space than the trio of Lloyd/Dale/Gowers).

If you continue to try to be the smartest guy in the room, you'll continue to fail.
    Whilst I agree, Cav West and Weightman have played 1, 3 and zero games. I guess we can give them a go and see how it works out. Can't do any worse than the current.

Total tackles by Lloyd/Dale/Gowers was 3,1,1 so for starters the young brigade can beat this.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Can I just say, this thread and the Game Day thread together sum up what is most valuable about WOOF: one the one hand, pure heated passion and raw emotion; on the other, mostly calm, thoughtful and genuinely insightful reflections on our situation and possible solutions.

God, I hope Bevo is reading this! And really thinking about where we might go from here.

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know a guy.

His name is Matthew, an assistant coach at Collingwood. Was rookied from Frankston seconds, scraped together a pretty decent career, then re-invented himself as a defender to extend that career by a few years. Nose like a boxer. I think he fits our requirements. Knows a bit about midfield craft and defensive structures.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Since 2016 however, we have underachieved.
    Have we though? Are we actually that talented?

There is regular "talk" about the talent on our list...but please, can someone tell me outside of Bont and maybe Naughton who would cause the opposition any concerns at match committee? JJ I guess...but the answer to that puzzle is a simple one - "Play someone on him". Who else? Macrae is a good player, Dunks is a good player - neither strike fear into the heart. Ditto Hunter. Crozier is a good player - but a defender who plays ON someone so how 'scarey' is that?? Who else?

There was a heap of talk at the end of last year about how our recruiting was 'on point' and would send us up the ladder...I didn't see it then (I like both Bruce and Keath but still don't understand why they were important given the recent selections of Schache and Le Young respectively) and - further to that, didn't really see either as adding to our 'A-grade' talent.

2016? Murphy and Suckling MISSED THAT TEAM due to injury. Jong the same. Our back line included a couple of guys who are genuine GREATS of our club in Matty Boyd and Morris. Great players, great competitors and GREAT leaders. We talk a lot about the Eade sides and how they "fell short" - personally I think both the 2008 and 2009 teams were better, more consistent teams than 2016. They didn't win - but they also ran into a pretty amazing Saints team that nearly won the whole thing.

Bevo is fine. He seems like a good coach. I am pretty bummed right now because we are leaking transition goals again (just like this time last year) but I don't really think he is working with quite the same level of playing group as a lot of other people do. Am I surprised the Saints recruiting led to the result yesterday? Sure. But Brad Hill is a really (really) good player and - Bont aside, as good as anyone on our side. Zac Jones was terrific - hard running, committed...I loved his game. I guess Bailey Smith put forth a similar level of effort but not too many others. They are two genuinely positive inclusions for them...how did our inclusions go?

I don't know. I kind of sympathise with the coaches a little because it is so hard when you have to coach the 'game' and also coach 'the effort'. We want Bevo to be better tactically but at the same time want him bringing the passion and motivation? At what point does he focus on the game style and process and the players look after the effort stuff themselves? What is holding the players back? Talking to other coaches, they barely speak to their players at all on game day...and effort is self driven. Watching Bevo try to urge a response out of the players at half-time via the telecast? I just thought that was sad...why is he leading this? He should be providing the pathway - THEY should bring the energy to walk along it.

I just think - and have for a while - that we have a group of players who have basically achieved nothing however somehow all of them have assigned themselves a portion of the 2016 premiership.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Can I just say, this thread and the Game Day thread together sum up what is most valuable about WOOF: one the one hand, pure heated passion and raw emotion; on the other, mostly calm, thoughtful and genuinely insightful reflections on our situation and possible solutions.

God, I hope Bevo is reading this! And really thinking about where we might go from here.
    While I think the real time game day thread posts should be taken with the grain of salt (especially my ramblings), I agree that the post match reflections are top notch. We're all feeling pretty crook about what we're producing on field, yet it seems we are able to put aside the emotion and provide some quality insights.

Long live WOOF.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I know a guy.

His name is Matthew, an assistant coach at Collingwood. Was rookied from Frankston seconds, scraped together a pretty decent career, then re-invented himself as a defender to extend that career by a few years. Nose like a boxer. I think he fits our requirements. Knows a bit about midfield craft and defensive structures.
    I can recall at club functions and before he was a captain it was Boyd who split up the groups of players by redirecting them and getting them to do the things they were supposed to be doing anyway

He's not one to walk past a problem and leave it to someone else
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Have we though? Are we actually that talented?

There is regular "talk" about the talent on our list...but please, can someone tell me outside of Bont and maybe Naughton who would cause the opposition any concerns at match committee?
    Spot on mjp I said the same thing

I think as Bulldog supporters we always over rate our players. We think we are world beaters and have the best A graders in the AFL. I have said this over the past few years but always the coach and the MC is blamed for our poor performances. The players have to take some responsibility and stand up.
    I think our recruiting hasn't been as good as it should have been over the past couple of seasons. eg: GVGjr, has spoken a lot about our efforts or lack of, to recruit another ruckman, and I remember you your self said many years ago, we should always have a young ruckman either rookied or drafted as insurance.

The other area of concern in recruiting is getting another A grade mid, with some leg speed to help out on the outside. We have too many inside slow mids with Dunks, Libba, Wallis.

I want to see major culling come this end of year:

Gardner
    Gowers
    Greene,
    Lynch,
    Porter
    Dickson (retired)
    Lloyd (retired)
    Suckling (retired)

Post Thanks / Like

I want to see major culling come this end of year:

Gardner
    Gowers
    Greene,
    Lynch,
    Porter
    Dickson (retired)
    Lloyd (retired)
    Suckling (retired)