Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  83
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bevo and our efforts

Agree with today’s posters. Still think we will have problems when we face a good/great ruck eg Grundy, Goldy. Not sold we can keep this intensity up for season and think we need to somehow address ruck conundrum. Will be fascinating to see what Bevo does against North.

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair to those of us that were critical, many of the issues outlined have been rectified (ball carrier pressure leaving forward 50) or directly addressed (selection).
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

3. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I said in another thread that last night was the closest we've come to our 2016 style, just in terms of pressure, fast handballing and running off half back.

It looked like a side that could compete with the best teams in the league.
    That is the quality and opportunity we have in us. That's why my expectations are high and we should be absolutely rabid for success. They are good enough, now. Not in 5 years. Not next year. Now.

These fluctuations in effort, cohesion and selection are infuriating. It's like experiencing mania. We're up, way up. We're down, way down.

5. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    To my untutored eye, the difference between our bad patch and the last two games has been the intensity and pressure all over the ground. When we bring that, we can beat anyone. But when that drops away, we look like a rabble.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    To be fair to those of us that were critical, many of the issues outlined have been rectified (ball carrier pressure leaving forward 50) or directly addressed (selection).
    Do we thank GWS? We knew the sort of pressure they were going to bring and we had to step up, and we did.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the issues around intensity, pressure around the contest and on the carrier, defending the ground properly were between the ears of the players. Little wonder the coach looks frustrated when these areas turn to mush, because these areas have seen the biggest change in the way we've played these past couple of rounds and they're largely out of his control.

However, we still have the structural issues we did in previous weeks that will be exposed by the best teams. But, most teams do and we're not quite one of the best teams as yet.

The stubbornness around not playing Trengove and a few other things will at times come back to haunt us throughout the season so I don't think we're out of the woods just yet.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Bevo and our efforts

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Do we thank GWS? We knew the sort of pressure they were going to bring and we had to step up, and we did.

Great idea BAD. Let's send them a Christmas in July card. Hopefully it will give them the shits with us even more than they have now!

We could even send them a rattle and some toys to throw out of the cot for the next time we play them.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a Freo game we lost last year where Bevo seemed to snap out of his malaise and the whole club followed. I think last night's press conference he was really enjoying. Watching it again, there's some good signs for me around his frame of mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    There was a Freo game we lost last year where Bevo seemed to snap out of his malaise and the whole club followed. I think last night's press conference he was really enjoying. Watching it again, there's some good signs for me around his frame of mind.
    I liked when the journo asked him if that was Bont's best game ever and Bevo just burst out laughing, then quickly composed himself so as not to embarrass the dolt.

He did seem in a good space.

Even the footage after the game where it was clear he was singling out players for praise, and the whole group was laughing. It looks like they've found some connection on and off field.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

After the Saints game, Bevo came out and said we had to tweak a few things in defence and around stoppages. I don't know what he did, but it has worked. We also have a better balanced team with some genuine speed.

Make no mistake, Bevo is a great coach, and supporters may not agree with some of the players he brings in, or drops, but there is always a reason that we are not aware of.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    After the Saints game, Bevo came out and said we had to tweak a few things in defence and around stoppages. I don't know what he did, but it has worked. We also have a better balanced team with some genuine speed.

Make no mistake, Bevo is a great coach, and supporters may not agree with some of the players he brings in, or drops, but there is always a reason that we are not aware of.
    That might be true, doesn't mean those reasons make any sense though
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Most of the issues around intensity, pressure around the contest and on the carrier, defending the ground properly were between the ears of the players. Little wonder the coach looks frustrated when these areas turn to mush, because these areas have seen the biggest change in the way we've played these past couple of rounds and they're largely out of his control.

However, we still have the structural issues we did in previous weeks that will be exposed by the best teams. But, most teams do and we're not quite one of the best teams as yet.

The stubbornness around not playing Trengove and a few other things will at times come back to haunt us throughout the season so I don't think we're out of the woods just yet.
    I'm coming around to the Keith / Cordy partnership if Cordy can maintain this form - though Sydney lacked a dominant big man that a Trengove could lock down...and our mids + Tim really stepped up.

Hmmm
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Rd 2 - s#$% selection, s#$% result
    Rd 3 - good selection good result.
    Rd 4 - reasonable selection, more confidence from previous week, good result.

17. Likes SonofScray, The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    I'm coming around to the Keith / Cordy partnership if Cordy can maintain this form - though Sydney lacked a dominant big man that a Trengove could lock down...and our mids + Tim really stepped up.

Hmmm
    I think the English to defence and up and down the ground is great on rucks of the quality faced the past two weeks. Goldstein has a fantastic tank as do a few others and he won't be unopposed to the extent he was this past fortnight.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a major concern - we play a taxing style of football that is prone to "burnout". I hope we can maintain it, and with the rotation of players through form and injury we need to hope that keeps us physically and mentally fresh enough to do so.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I have a major concern - we play a taxing style of football that is prone to "burnout". I hope we can maintain it, and with the rotation of players through form and injury we need to hope that keeps us physically and mentally fresh enough to do so.
    Whilst I agree, the same can be said for any side of quality. No contending side does it easy - that's why it's hard to maintain strong form and win finals.

I'm more concerned about our inexperience/kids fading through the year.