Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

'It's going to be a big one': Dogs plan to get physical against arch-rival

'It's going to be a big one': Dogs plan to get physical against arch-rival

Western Bulldogs star Josh Dunkley wants his 0-2 side to make a statement on Friday night

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge wasted no time turning his players' attention to Friday night's much-anticipated rematch with the Giants after slumping to 0-2 on Sunday.

Greater Western Sydney has beaten Beveridge's side four times in five chances since their memorable 2016 preliminary final that preceded the Bulldogs' fairytale premiership triumph.

The rivalry reached a new crescendo in September last year, when a physical Giants outfit bullied the Bulldogs out of the finals race after the latter had won seven of their last nine games.

Bulldogs star Josh Dunkley noted the way both Collingwood and St Kilda approached playing his team since, with their suffocating pressure curbing the Dogs' high-octane ball movement.

However, Dunkley said they needed "to embrace that physical nature and push forward".

With their season already slipping away – sitting on the bottom with a paltry percentage south of 50 – the much-hyped Bulldogs are gearing up for a significant response under the Friday night lights.

"We've obviously had some history with the Giants, and 'Bevo' did mention that after the game," Dunkley told SEN radio on Tuesday.

"We've got to sharpen the tools and it's going to be a big one – and we will come out with an intent and (be) physically fierce against the opposition.

"Hopefully, that transforms into our footy and we play with some freedom and get a win."

Dunkley was confident the horror start to the season had not dented his teammates' belief but he admitted to feeling "sorry" for new captain Marcus Bontempelli.

"I think he's going OK. It's been a tough few months for him, going through all the COVID-19 (pandemic), the break and things like that," Dunkley said.

"He's done a really good job in keeping the group really tight-knit. I feel sorry for him at times … to see what 'Bont' has been through is quite tough.

"But he's the ultimate professional and the best leader we've got at our footy club, so we're right behind him and we hope going forward he's going to be good for us."

Dunkley also revealed the personal toll of the strict lockdown conditions the players were living under – even after they eased for the rest of the public – as the Bulldogs struggled on-field.

As of Monday, footballers can now visit immediate family and engage in recreational activities, such as golf, tennis, surfing and fishing.

"We've pretty much been in lockdown since returning to training, so players have not been allowed out of your house other than for essential reasons," he said.

"It's tough when we're 0-2 and I haven't been able to see my direct family for quite a while.

"(There are) mental battles you go through and the footy life isn't easy – if it was easy, a lot of people would be doing it.

"So it's important to be able to get out now and clear the head a little bit, get away from footy when you can and really focus back in when you get that opportunity, too."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 'It's going to be a big one': Dogs plan to get physical against arch-rival

This is going to age well I'm sure.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    No more comments required.

End Thread.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

4. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gawd we didn't need this headline
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

It's exactly what was needed to be said and describes the attitude we need to bring to the contest

Looking forward to game.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The headline is a bit misleading of what Dunkley actually says. But I still cringed a bit.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Even if we drink some proverbial concrete and turn up with our chests puffed out they're just as likely to torch us with actual footy anyway ... If I'm the Giants I'm quietly content my opponents are distracting themselves with the prospect of a street fight.

Beating them would be a far sweeter peach than simply standing up to them.

If nothing else we're going to find out how much self-respect the group has.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

What's this bit about?

'Dunkley was confident the horror start to the season had not dented his teammates' belief but he admitted to feeling "sorry" for new captain Marcus Bontempelli.

"I think he's going OK. It's been a tough few months for him, going through all the COVID-19 (pandemic), the break and things like that," Dunkley said.

"He's done a really good job in keeping the group really tight-knit. I feel sorry for him at times … to see what 'Bont' has been through is quite tough.

"But he's the ultimate professional and the best leader we've got at our footy club, so we're right behind him and we hope going forward he's going to be good for us."'
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

If there is any game I want to win, its this one.

Show some fight Dogs!! literally
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

"But he's the ultimate professional and the best leader we've got at our footy club"

I hope Josh is a glass half full kind of guy

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortuantely this was the narrative all offseason and it resulted in two putrid performances. Why should we expect anything different this time around?

Here's hoping for a complete 180 in performance but this time i'll wait to see it before believing it.

Post Thanks / Like

You can listen to Dunkley here and see what he really said.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Well, we'll make a statement of some sort, that's for sure.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

We have gone down media street once again with the same 'redemption' message since last year's finals capitulation. Fine. The players are 0-2 in terms of acceptable on-field response since then. If it becomes 0-3 then some player's careers have to be on the line.

Walk the walk.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

16. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    We have gone down media street once again with the same 'redemption' message since last year's finals capitulation. Fine. The players are 0-2 in terms of acceptable on-field response since then. If it becomes 0-3 then some player's careers will be rightly on the line.
    Have you listened to the actual interview? The written article especially the heading, is totally misleading