Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Jong happy to be back

link

Lin Jong pulled on the red, white and blue for the first time in 666 days on the weekend.

There were a few nerves for Lin Jong leading into Sunday night’s clash with St Kilda.

Even he didn’t realise how long it had been between AFL games.

The 27-year-old had last pulled on the red, white and blue in round 22, 2018 – an interruption caused largely by injuries.

The tough midfielder finished with 17 disposals in an impressive individual return, despite the Dogs’ disappointing loss to the Saints.

“I didn’t realise I hadn’t played for that long,” Jong said post-game.

“It was a special sort of game to me, having come back for a while and especially after last year with the injuries and taking time off.

“I was really nervous coming into the game

“But it was really good to play with the boys – obviously not a great result, but the enjoyment and passion is there which I’m really happy about.”

Just as Jong looked set to have a full pre-season behind him in 2020, injury struck again.

A serious hamstring injury looked set to sideline him for the first two to three months of the season, before the season was put on hold due to COVID-19.

“I was going to miss the first eight to 12 rounds and I’ve ended up missing one round, so I was probably one of the lucky ones that benefitted from the break,” Jong said.

“I don’t want to say the break was good because everyone struggled. But that was a little silver lining for me.”

After taking time off for mental health reasons towards the end of 2019, Jong says he has recaptured his love of the game.

“That time I took off I really got to prioritise my mental health and take time away from the club and playing football, which sometimes can heighten symptoms of depression and anxiety,” Jong said.

“Finding my love for the game and playing to have fun – I know it sounds a bit corny, but not putting that pressure on yourself and not thinking you’re less of a person because you might play a bad game of football.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jong happy to be back

Was stoked to see Lin (or Jong Ling if you're Eddie McGuire) back. He was pretty good too!

One significant fumble in the middle (for which he immediately atoned) and a generally piss poor performance by most of the other players shouldn't dim what's a great story. He could be the answer on the non-Hunter wing, and even if not having a guy who actually tackles in the forward line is a refreshing and literal change of pace.

A lot has admittedly changed but he was damn good in 2016 and would've been a premiership player if not for a poorly executed tackle.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Agree. He was one of our best on Sunday. He played his role and gave his all which we need more of from his teammates

Post Thanks / Like

Gives his all and glad he is back. Go Jongy!!

Post Thanks / Like

Understandably he ran out of puff in the last quarter, but I thought he did well.

If the mids are getting done, I would like to see him thrown into the centre, but in any case, good luck for the season. Fingers crossed no injuies.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we can comfort ourselves with always knowing what we're going to get with Jongy; a red hot crack peppered with sins of commission with ball in hand, and that's fine for the time being.

It's mostly pleasing to see someone playing like they're grateful to be out there.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    I think we can comfort ourselves with always knowing what we're going to get with Jongy; a red hot crack peppered with sins of commission with ball in hand, and that's fine for the time being.

It's mostly pleasing to see someone playing like they're grateful to be out there.
    I listened to his press conference and had forgotten he had gone through some mental health issues. When he played poorly it really did effect his mental health. He said he is now loving the game again, and so glad to be back.

Post Thanks / Like

With Jong's history of injuries. How wise is to to play him off a five day break?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    With Jong's history of injuries. How wise is to to play him off a five day break?
    Obviously its easy for me to reply to this now, but I think the more games we get into Jong the better. He needs matches to get match hardened. Keep playing him if his form and fitness warrants it.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I have never been a Jong fan.....but I am liking his first couple of games. The thing is that Jong in the team means you can't have a Gowers as their brain freezes

Post Thanks / Like

Fingers crossed he gets a decent run now
    Especially with Dunkley out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    I think they will .

Post Thanks / Like

Jong was having a very good year 2016 (not that he was alone) if he can get back to that standard he'll keep his place.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I'll readily wear Jongy's hot-potato approach with pill in hand while he's flinging himself at contests like he has of late.

He adds a bit of kamikaze to our on-ball mix which unsettles the other mob and creates opportunity for our smoother movers who are a little less inclined in that department.

The way he attacks contests helps set a certain tone we need on a more consistent basis. Be a lovely outcome for him and us if he can stick.
    BORDERLINE FLYING