Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is expectation our most feared opponent?

Going back through history it appears that our footy club has seemed to have performed best when seen as the underdog with a backs to the wall, us against the world type of mentality. Who can forget the magic of season 1997 after the abomination that was 1996 or the revival in 2015 after the mass off season departures at the end of 2014. Even 1990 under Terry Wheeler after we all thought the club had died in 1989. Our sweet premiership in 2016 was achieved when no one gave us any hope. However defending premierships and meeting expectations after them have been disappointing to say the least. Do we rely on flying under the radar to be successful and is the fear of expectation real?

2. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is expectation our most feared opponent?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    Going back through history it appears that our footy club has seemed to have performed best when seen as the underdog with a backs to the wall, us against the world type of mentality. Who can forget the magic of season 1997 after the abomination that was 1996 or the revival in 2015 after the mass off season departures at the end of 2014. Even 1990 under Terry Wheeler after we all thought the club had died in 1989. Our sweet premiership in 2016 was achieved when no one gave us any hope. However defending premierships and meeting expectations after them have been disappointing to say the least. Do we rely on flying under the radar to be successful and is the fear of expectation real?
    It’s a good question and something I’ve been thinking about lately. 2016 was the classic example as we had ZERO expectations in each and every game. And I’m sure most of us at the start of this season had an inkling of doubt due to the heavy expectations of top 4 placed on us.

What’s strange is that this has been a thing for decades. It doesn’t make any sense that it would flow through generations of players. Some will say it’s cultural. I’m not so sure. I suppose what’s most disappointing is we thought after 2016 we’d rid that persona of underdog. But here we are 4 years later still talking about it

4. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We are perpetual blue collar underdogs and always have been. I remember listening to Terry Wallace at a members night in the late 90s talking about this very issue. He was saying that one of his biggest challenges was reversing the psychology at the club that near enough was good enough. He was sick of close finishes and us just falling short at the last hurdle. I remember thinking at the time that the club did not have that self entitled expectation that it would / could win any game and would / could win a flag at the start of every season like the power clubs do. We have been so economically limited through our history that all of our energy has been focused more on pure survival before success. Any success was a fortunate by-product of existing as a football club.

FWIW I think we need more of a killer instinct and would like us to start playing like GWS played against us in last year's finals. I want to play unsocial football, similar to the Hawthorn's of the past and similar to how we played with the likes of Garlick, Libba Snr, Southern etc. You can still play with a hard edge within the legal limits of the game.

We're more stable financially, have a flag under our belts and for the first time in a very long time are attracting very good players in their prime. My opinion is that our last three games have been lost between the ears and if we can recapture some self-belief and develop a harder edge to how we play we can match anyone.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

6. Likes bornadog, The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thread Mitcha and it seems so true. I remember back in 1985 not having any expectations and thinking at the start of the season, we will probably win most of our home games and that is about it. 1985 became for me, one of the most enjoyable seasons ever (2016 apart). We were an unbelievable unit and every game was so good.

2010, Smorgon came out and said we would win the premiership, and expectations were high and in the end we fell short in another prelim - so disappointing.

There is a bit of the negative culture embedded in our club, and it really comes out when we are losing and have our backs to the wall. You just have to look at the negativity in the posts and other social media when we are losing, with posts like - that is just a Bulldog thing, oh we have plenty of rucks in Jong, Dunkley etc, oh we chose the wrong team, oh put Caleb on Jeremy Cameron.

When losing, you need to look at why you are losing, what went wrong and analyse that. Terry Wallace did try and get rid of the loser mentality, and I thought 2016 would erase some of the things like sack the coach, oh there must be player decent, something is wrong down there, the coach has lost the players.

Anyway, I digress. I am hoping the back to the walls fight comes out tonight and not expecting a win, we actually defeat GWS.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread Mitcha and some well reasoned responses above.

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    FWIW I think we need more of a killer instinct and would like us to start playing like GWS played against us in last year's finals. I want to play unsocial football, similar to the Hawthorn's of the past and similar to how we played with the likes of Garlick, Libba Snr, Southern etc. You can still play with a hard edge within the legal limits of the game.
    Agree with this. Ironically, we actually had this in 2016 - it served the platform of which our Premiership was won off. Players like Morris, Boyd, Picken, Libba, Dahlhaus and Clay were fearless and never took a backward step. Even Cordy could be included in that group despite his age at the time. There's no doubt the former mentioned helped the likes of Bont, Macrae, Hunter, JJ etc.

Unfortunately it just evaporated after 2016 and we've since replaced these types of players with the likes of Gardner/Young, Williams, Lipinski, Hayes, Dale, Lloyd, Schache etc. Some of these kids have some natural talent but their mental fortitude and sheer refusal to lose is NOWHERE near the above list.

I'm a firm believer that we have too many nice guys on our list. Too many well spoken, passive footballers who really struggle to rise up when physically challenged as we've seen numerous times in the last 1-2 years.

Bailey Smith is a brilliant addition to our list - absolutely EVERYTHING we need. But we need more.

9. Thanks bulldogsthru&thru thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog, Grantysghost, Max469, Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Great thread Mitcha and some well reasoned responses above.

Agree with this. Ironically, we actually had this in 2016 - it served the platform of which our Premiership was won off. Players like Morris, Boyd, Picken, Libba, Dahlhaus and Clay were fearless and never took a backward step. Even Cordy could be included in that group despite his age at the time. There's no doubt the former mentioned helped the likes of Bont, Macrae, Hunter, JJ etc.

Unfortunately it just evaporated after 2016 and we've since replaced these types of players with the likes of Gardner/Young, Williams, Lipinski, Hayes, Dale, Lloyd, Schache etc. Some of these kids have some natural talent but their mental fortitude and sheer refusal to lose is NOWHERE near the above list.

I'm a firm believer that we have too many nice guys on our list. Too many well spoken, passive footballers who really struggle to rise up when physically challenged as we've seen numerous times in the last 1-2 years.

Bailey Smith is a brilliant addition to our list - absolutely EVERYTHING we need. But we need more.
    It's a good point.

I just saw a photo on Facebook (I won't post here as it's a bit offensive) of a coach holding a whiteboard at a local footy game. Written on the board in big black letters was "BE A C***" - seemingly a directive at one of the quarter breaks. If you have ever played footy you know you need players in your team like this. Not belting people but little things here and there that upset the opposition and make your teammates walk taller. You want to be difficult to play against and get under your opponents skin.

As big a dickhead as Mitch Robinson seems I think he has been great for that young Brisbane side.

11. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s interesting that through all the threads this week trying to identify the root cause of our current issues I think the last couple of posts are a HUGE part of the problem. We do have too many meek and mild players. We just aren’t an intimidating side to play against. Who really fears us? 2016 those players mentioned above willed us to each contest and allowed the cream to rise to the top. I suppose some of that is the foundation of contested footy BMac was building. But where is it now. Who on our list would you now look to to battle and grind at each contest and strike a bit of fear in the opposition?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    It's a good point.

I just saw a photo on Facebook (I won't post here as it's a bit offensive) of a coach holding a whiteboard at a local footy game. Written on the board in big black letters was "BE A C***" - seemingly a directive at one of the quarter breaks. If you have ever played footy you know you need players in your team like this. Not belting people but little things here and there that upset the opposition and make your teammates walk taller. You want to be difficult to play against and get under your opponents skin.

As big a dickhead as Mitch Robinson seems I think he has been great for that young Brisbane side.
    The closest is Libba, Cordy and Bailey is getting there and Mitch Wallis won't take any shit either.

Other than that, no one else is flexing their muscles.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Could also explain a long history of the Dogs causing ‘upsets’ but failing when we appeared certain contenders.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

15. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The closest is Libba, Cordy and Bailey is getting there and Mitch Wallis won't take any shit either.

Other than that, no one else is flexing their muscles.
    I was happy for Wallis to give away that 50 last Sunday - you had a St Kilda player driving his elbow into our players head (can't remember who it was now) and Mitch dragged him off - nothing silly but not standing for that crap. Stupid umpire should have called it even and let the Saints player take his kick but instead paid 50.

17. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was happy for Wallis to give away that 50 last Sunday - you had a St Kilda player driving his elbow into our players head (can't remember who it was now) and Mitch dragged him off - nothing silly but not standing for that crap. Stupid umpire should have called it even and let the Saints player take his kick but instead paid 50.
    Naughton's head, the free should have been reversed.

19. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Me too I applauded it.
    What happened to the rising Sir Bont taking on North that day (Firrito?) when they tried to provoke him a couple of seasons ago. i remember thinking at the time wow, not only is this guy good he rises higher when targeted. Maybe losing some of the aforementioned guys has meant he doesn't feel like he has the backing any more. Not sure.

Just an small anecdote re Michael Firrito. A group of friends and I after a long day at the cricket spotted him at a bar, not only did he chat to us and spend time in our group he bought us drinks. Loved him ever since!

Post Thanks / Like

Who on our list can fill the aggression void?

I think Bruce and Naughton can/should be able to and have shown signs in previous years. For whatever reason, neither have asserted themselves in R1 & R2.

B Smith is already doing it, Wallis does to a degree too. Libba back helps and though I'm critical of Cordy as a player, he doesn't step backwards.

I think we need some of our small/mid forwards to give us more and I want to see more from our mids. We really lack presence down back too (Duryea helps).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Who on our list can fill the aggression void?

I think Bruce and Naughton can/should be able to and have shown signs in previous years. For whatever reason, neither have asserted themselves in R1 & R2.

B Smith is already doing it, Wallis does to a degree too. Libba back helps and though I'm critical of Cordy as a player, he doesn't step backwards.

I think we need some of our small/mid forwards to give us more and I want to see more from our mids. We really lack presence down back too (Duryea helps).
    I think CD can be a really good player and a pest at the same time, seems a bit meek though. We know Cordy dosn't take any jive, Smith or Libba either. Hunter's not bad at trash talk but that's about it. Applauded Wally for standing up for his team mate last week as well, only person I directed my fury at re. the 50 was the umpire. Who else? I'd like to see Richards be true to his red hair and fire up, again, appears he has an introverted on-field personality. Naughts should be throwing his weight around with Bruce having a directive to back him up.

Daniel is the one.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

How influential are older figures within footy clubs today?

GWS were reported to be the most mouthy upstarts who were losing 75% of their games early on, and I remember reading we copped it for being a … club etc. ...now that's straight from Sheedy I'm guessing. You can only imagine the hubris around Essendon in the 80-90s. They saw themselves as winners, and Sheedy was trying to instill that at the Giants.

Then there's Elliott and the 'tragic club' comment. Can only imagine how above almost everyone they used to feel.

Can't imagine we ever had that to draw on - spite / dislike, yep. We're the winners? ….

But does that still play much of a role? Footballers have an aura about them, whether they play for GCS or Collingwood. People with regular human frailties, and not supermen/women by any means, but they do carry themselves differently.

We didn't take a 'nothing to lose' mentality through 2016, it was 'why not us?' Perfect for the moment, but it's use by date was winter 2017.

Back in the old days, we did win a heap of home games taking opponents out of their comfort zone.....feels like we're too nice now.

Good topic to ponder.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs