Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  36
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Libba: the legacy

If we were truly fortunate, we'd have Tom Liberatore finishing his career with 250 plus games.
    He won't. It's a shame. Move on.
    Tom's knee's have conspired to prevent this.
    He can still have an enormous impact however, perhaps longer than his career.
    I reckon if he can produce what he did tonight for the next 3 years, then he has the ability to make a massive contribution to Bailey Smith's development.

Bailey has mongrel and skill.....Libba can nuance heavily the skillsets within the mongrel range.

2. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Libba: the legacy

Libba’s legacy at this point, is Libba.

A gun. He’s an unreal footballer who should be in the first few picked each week.

4. Likes Sedat, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tonight makes you realise how much we've missed him when he's fit and focused.

Post Thanks / Like

Echo the sentiments. Very important player.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

7. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To me it's simple, Libba executes the fundamental skills of the game as a priority. He makes sure his kicks hit targets, he makes sure his hands do as well, and he tackles and positions hard and properly.

He's a very very skillful player, much more so than the focus on his hardness allows us to think about or remember. Sure he brings hardness to the side, but his elite skills bring more.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    To me it's simple, Libba executes the fundamental skills of the game as a priority. He makes sure his kicks hit targets, he makes sure his hands do as well, and he tackles and positions hard and properly.

He's a very very skillful player, much more so than the focus on his hardness allows us to think about or remember. Sure he brings hardness to the side, but his elite skills bring more.
    Spot on. You just know he is going to do the right thing. Some footballers you trust to get it done. On field Tom Liberatore has done that his entire career.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

10. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thread - even though we know, its been hard to remember how good he was - tonight gave us that glimpse - elite midfielder without the reputation

Super to have him back - the Liberatores have been the spiritual leaders of the footy club

Given the longevity of his father - Im not closing the door on 250 yet

Post Thanks / Like

Libba has only just turned 28. Sure he has question marks over his knees but Shaun Burgoyne had worse knees at the same age and is still going like a Rolls Royce at age 37 today. The legacy I'd love to see from Libba is to help us reach the holy grail again and stay with us for another 5 years at least - he is absolutely capable of doing so.

Take out his 2017 season and his body of on-field work for us has been outstanding and remarkably consistent since his debut in R1 2011. He is a superb player who makes us infinitely better when he is fit and healthy. He has one-touch hands in heavy traffic, fantastic vision, elite hand/foot skills and unsurpassed decision making under pressure. Added to that he has that competitive mongrel that only the best champions possess and is also a much loved teammate - these qualities are not common all together and far outweigh his lack of foot speed. None of the likes of Greg Williams, Sam Mitchell, Jimmy Bartel, Lenny Hayes and Scott Pendlbury would win a Stawell Gift but they are loinised as champions of the game - Libba sits very comfortablly in that company IMO, and is only not considered at that level by some footy pundits because he is quirky and has a collection of weird hairstyles and tatts.

I absolutely love him and feel so much more confident when he is on the team sheet.
    Last edited by Sedat; 20-06-2020 at 10:53 AM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

13. Likes DOG GOD, azabob, EasternWest, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve thought since start of last year that he is our most important player when fully fit and fully Libba

15. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he's just as important as any player we have the club.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

17. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Luke Beveridge reveals he feared star Dog would never play again

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has revealed he doubted Tom Liberatore would ever play senior football again after a horror run with injury.
    Liberatore ruptured his right ACL in Round 1 of 2018, before more surgery was requited in 2019 after cartilage damage. He continued to have trouble with the knee over the off-season and missed the Round 2 restart before his selection for Friday night.

Speaking to Fox Footy, Beveridge gave an insight into just how bad the 28-year-old’s injury struggles were.

“I must admit for a long period of time, even up until probably a month ago I had my doubts that he’d ever play AFL footy again,” he said.

“He’s been through such an ordeal coming back from knee reconstructions and if you were in the inner sanctum and watched him limp around, he’s back he’s in rehab and then you think he’s almost back to full fitness and still there’s a limp, you’d have significant concerns.

“What’s transpired over the last three weeks is probably a bit of a surprise for me.

“Didn’t feel like he was totally right last week, he was talked about. But after his session last Saturday we had to pick him and as you mentioned he made a huge difference.

“He’s one of those teammates that you love playing with. The boys as soon as they hear he’s picked grinned like cheshire cats. He was really important for us last night.”

Liberatore was an important player for the Dogs on Friday night, getting 18 touches, kicking a goal and making several efforts to hinder Matt De Boer’s efforts to clamp down on Marcus Bontempelli.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

19. Thanks azabob, Remi Moses thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All

I had to pass comment on Tom's performance last night. As a North supporter, I don't follow the Bulldogs nearly as closely as you all surely do, indeed I had implicitly presumed he had retired due to ongoing injuries. I was stunned to see him on the field last night, and even more stunned to see the quality of his play.

Tom has now ascended to being my favourite player to watch. God forbid another injury, so that we can all enjoy his sublime skills, concomitant with genuine toughness and game generalmanship.

The OP opined that "Libba can nuance heavily the skillsets within the mongrel range". Encapsulates it beautifully!!

Cheers
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe_G View Post
    All

I had to pass comment on Tom's performance last night. As a North supporter, I don't follow the Bulldogs nearly as closely as you all surely do, indeed I had implicitly presumed he had retired due to ongoing injuries. I was stunned to see him on the field last night, and even more stunned to see the quality of his play.

Tom has now ascended to being my favourite player to watch. God forbid another injury, so that we can all enjoy his sublime skills, concomitant with genuine toughness and game generalmanship.

The OP opined that "Libba can nuance heavily the skillsets within the mongrel range". Encapsulates it beautifully!!

Cheers
    Greg
    Thanks Greg, he is a little beauty. We all have our fingers crossed those wretched knees hold up. He is also very popular amongst his team mates.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

22. Likes Roscoe_G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe_G View Post
    All

Cheers
    Greg
    Good to hear from you Roscoe.
    "It's over. It's all over."

24. Likes Roscoe_G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

“He’s one of those teammates that you love playing with. The boys as soon as they hear he’s picked grinned like cheshire cats. He was really important for us last night.”
    This quote right here sums up what Tom means to not only the fans but the club. Must have in our midfield.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016