Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  33
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: We beat the Giants - Has anything "REALLY" changed?

Just watched the replay of the first half and there's a few points that need to be mentioned.

Both Bruce and Dale did excellent team oriented things in the first quarter, while neither hit the scoreboard their acts were precisely what we needed. Particularly the Bruce tackle after the Wallis miss kick to even the contest and allow Richards to get it to Smith for a goal. Dale's hard running to shepherd Smith on the wing.

Toby played an excellent second quarter, in lieu of playing an excellent first quarter. Not huge numbers but important all over the ground, but noticeably between the defencive arc and centre.

English's first couple of decisive defencive possessions were with Jacobs within the screen shot, which says to me he had a job to run him ragged. However, for a half his major impact would have been forward of centre or between the arcs had he converted two very gettable opportunities to goal.

JJ has been excellent, sure he's a bit pudgy but for a slight touch on the ball he'd have a goal and a missed advantage where Bont may have kicked it out on the full anyway. His work around the ground aerially and in the ground dispute was very good.

Libba's impact over the replay seems to be less in the first half that I remember apart from some excellent moments early.

Additionally there's no real stage in the game where to this point GWS seem remotely as dangerous as we do. At the half we're a few goals up, have kicked a couple more points than the Giants have and we've also left two or three short.

Will be interesting to see if the second half follows trend, it's always great to watch the replay a few days after the game once things have cooled and perspective kicks in.

Pro tip - get watchafl.com international pass and use VPN to stage being out of country for on demand replays.
    Last edited by jeemak; 21-06-2020 at 10:50 PM.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Likes azabob, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Second half observations.....

Defended the ground well and dished up so many opportunities for GWS when we didn't need to.

Bruce put together two or three efforts when his chances came that were OK, and the delivery to him was pretty putrid. Our entire team is struggling in getting ourselves into transition and his form for mine is a symptom of that. Hopefully we and he can turn it around soon.

Libba was huge in the third. Not even touching it, just being in the contest sometimes had an impact. Eventually he did make an impact with his handling.

I don't get the drop Dale sentiments. He snagged one, coolly hit a player for a goal assist, played up ground and put a good shepherd or two on. He stays for mine.

Lloyd is in a bit of trouble. He didn't do enough across the quarters, and I feel he should be edged out.

English neutralised the ruck contest, and again, it seemed he ran Jacobs ragged.

4. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Jeemak it’s great when we win to watch replay is less emotional and hence objective.

I also watched replay again this evening and think I was a bit harsh on Dale. Will be fascinating to see what MC decide. On replay I though Maclean was very good and tough. And initially I had Dunkley in my votes then swapped him for Libba. Dunkley was good across all quarters. Daniels and Smith were pure class 2nd time around too. Cordy did some nice things and uses his body well to shepherd our on ballers. He must be relieved we have Keath to take pressure off him a bit.

If Whitfield, Kelly and Thug Greene had played who knows what would have happened. Guess it would have been a lot closer on score board but I reckon we would still have been very competitive and in with a real chance (60:40?/50:50?).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    See - I don’t think he really played as a ruckman. He played spare behind the ball but ‘take the hitouts’...I’m not even sure that is a position but it sure help block things up defensively.
    Scott Wynd just threw up!

English had two shots on goal, although yes he was clearly behind the ball far more than in recent weeks. If we remember JLT we experimented with keeping English between the arcs and having a KPP contest the ruck from throw ins. That wasn't a great success.

Everyone except Bevo seems to think English needs support. I do have a few Josh Fraser concerns about Tim - a young gun being thrown to the wolves, and has the body of a 40 year old by the time he's 25
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Given how vulnerable our defensive group is, I'm more than happy for English to play the 7th defender role.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm neither half full or half empty at the moment.

Friday Night was encouraging with a much better structure put in place / much better effort, but I thought our ball use was poor and our inability to kick straight is an ongoing concern.

We also have a number of players who are still out of form.

The next 2 weeks will tell us a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I'm neither half full or half empty at the moment.

Friday Night was encouraging with a much better structure put in place / much better effort, but I thought our ball use was poor and our inability to kick straight is an ongoing concern.

We also have a number of players who are still out of form.

The next 2 weeks will tell us a bit.
    Worryingly, the players out of form are experienced and the next in line are kids - we need more experience, not less.

Suckling may be facing the cliff and Lloyd efforts were there, he was just ineffectual. I really like Lachie Young (for Suckers) and Lloyd's replacement could be a Dickson which is like for like and experienced, but the other contenders are a Schache/Caverra/Weightman.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I don't get the drop Dale sentiments. He snagged one, coolly hit a player for a goal assist, played up ground and put a good shepherd or two on. He stays for mine.
    Jeemak also said:

Re: WB Game Day V GWS Giants R3 2020
    I can't defend Dale after that.

He needs to go
    "It's over. It's all over."

11. Likes azabob, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Jeemak also said:

Re: WB Game Day V GWS Giants R3 2020
    I can't defend Dale after that.

He needs to go
    That was before I saw the replay of him taking the ground first. Everyone's done it!

13. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That was before I saw the replay of him taking the ground first. Everyone's done it!
    No one can be held to account to anything said in the gameday thread during the game.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

15. Likes Twodogs, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    No one can be held to account to anything said in the gameday thread during the game.
    Yep. There is a reverse statute of imitations that applies to the match day thread.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    That is why I stay clear now of the game day thread. I check in at half time, but that is about all.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol.

I thought Dale was ok too, but I'd like to see more from him.
    "It's over. It's all over."

19. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Lol.

I thought Dale was ok too, but I'd like to see more from him.
    I think he needs to be dropped. Just not good enough for a forward who had access to 40 plus inside 50s and not one tackle.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think he needs to be dropped. Just not good enough for a forward who had access to 40 plus inside 50s and not one tackle.
    And 1 across 3 games. Toss a coin with he and Lloyd. Dale has slightly better goal output Lloyd has 9 tackles.