Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  33
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: We beat the Giants - Has anything "REALLY" changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Unfortunately Tim has progressed very little with his ruck craft.

I do get he is very good as the mobile tall and I really liked how he covered the ground and contributed as a marking player, but if we persist with Tim as the ruckman we need to be prepared to start the game from half back if we can't shark opposition hit outs.

The best team we can put out probably concedes the ruck, but we need strategies to overcome the deficiency and that requires Tim to be very good in other parts of the ground.
    We can’t possibly approach games with this mentality. Failure oriented isn’t acceptable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I just dont see it. He is OK reading the play a kick behind the game, but we are talking about a position that no-one in the entire league plays well right now...
    English is a natural CHF.

When he can focus on the ball he usually positions himself so he gets it.

He took 7 marks on Friday (most for the team), moved beautifully, and can easily kick 50m.

I have more faith in him kicking at goal than the forwards we have tried this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I just dont see it. He is OK reading the play a kick behind the game, but we are talking about a position that no-one in the entire league plays well right now...
    Agree that he takes his marks floating into the pack rather than leading into it, though the sample pot is still limited.

More that I'm trying to think how else we can utilise English without shooting ourselves in the foot. I guess the question is, do we think he can become a good ruck? I'm not sold.

What would you do MJP?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    last year he kicked 8 goals 10. Pretty accurate for a beginner.
    That's not accurate by any metric.

He's also not a beginner. He's a late developing ruckman but was playing football before his growth spurt so I'm sure he's played forward and taken plenty of set shots. He just doesn't seem to be good at them. We also don't seem to be able to improve that aspect of players games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That's not accurate by any metric.

He's also not a beginner. He's a late developing ruckman but was playing football before his growth spurt so I'm sure he's played forward and taken plenty of set shots. He just doesn't seem to be good at them. We also don't seem to be able to improve that aspect of players games.
    I cannot understand why professional footballers can’t be trained to kick straight (most of the time) with a 40m set shot.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot understand why professional footballers can’t be trained to kick straight (most of the time) with a 40m set shot.
    That is one of the biggest mysteries of the game.

Post Thanks / Like

There we find common ground. Fatigue is the best answer I can muster. I don't believe it holds up to intense scrutiny though

Post Thanks / Like

It’s probably only how I see things but for me, we have similar issues to most teams playing at the moment.

1) we have players who look unfit (Bruce in particular)
    And
    2) players who are going through the motions and look disinterested.

This year, anyone can beat anyone on any given day. AFL is a lot of mindset, and they way I’m seeing it, there are more than “a few” players in each team who look to have the “blah” mindset about season 2020. Imagine training, hubbing, doing what ever the hell the AFL demand of you to probably have the season suspended again or even abandoned.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    It’s probably only how I see things but for me, we have similar issues to most teams playing at the moment.

1) we have players who look unfit (Bruce in particular)
    And
    2) players who are going through the motions and look disinterested.

This year, anyone can beat anyone on any given day. AFL is a lot of mindset, and they way I’m seeing it, there are more than “a few” players in each team who look to have the “blah” mindset about season 2020. Imagine training, hubbing, doing what ever the hell the AFL demand of you to probably have the season suspended again or even abandoned.
    $$$ they are paid to care and if they are being “blah” they risk losing their job and career.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    $$$ they are paid to care and if they are being “blah” they risk losing their job and career.
    Yep. Lists get cut to 35 (?) at the end of this season so you'd think that would be enough to focus most players' minds.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Twodogs;680386]Yep. Lists get cut to 35 (?) at the end of this season so you'd think that would be enough to focus most players' minds.[/?QUOTE]

Is 35 a certainty?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yep. Lists get cut to 35 (?) at the end of this season so you'd think that would be enough to focus most players' minds.[/?QUOTE]

Is 35 a certainty?
    No, there hasn't been an announcement
    Last edited by bornadog; 26-06-2020 at 10:21 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering how they were going to be able to do it with existing contracts. I'm glad I'm wrong and hope it doesn't happen
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I was wondering how they were going to be able to do it with existing contracts. I'm glad I'm wrong and hope it doesn't happen
    TD, you are neither right or wrong. HQ still thinking about it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

English is a natural CHF.

When he can focus on the ball he usually positions himself so he gets it.

He took 7 marks on Friday (most for the team), moved beautifully, and can easily kick 50m.

I have more faith in him kicking at goal than the forwards we have tried this year.
    I don't see it. I could agree a natural CHB, but I really like what he is doing in the ruck. He is effectively playing as a defensive ruck rover. That is going to work against some teams.