Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  90
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Carlton R6 2020

I only watched until half time as I'm a very early starter for work, it was probably a good thing I switched off. I kind of knew it was gone when Betts got another Joe The Goose with 15 seconds left. We had them on the ropes but when we had a chance to get closer we dropped a mark or the ball slipped through our hands etc. Just those few little mistakes cost us dearly on the rebound. We just weren't clean when it counted.

I can't comment on the 2nd half but was the last quarter a case of the game is over, put the cue in the rack?

It's about where this team is at IMO. Our scalps are GWS who were underdone/injured, Sydney who look like they're on their footy trip already and Norf who did have quite a few out as well. I know we're not exactly at full strength either but we've been soundly beaten in every other contest we've had. I don't think we're good enough for top 8.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Interesting hearing Hardwicks comments regarding their game against Sydney.

He mentioned Sydney essentially flooded their forward line and that despite the tigers having repeat forward 50 entries they just couldn't score because of all the congestion. He also mentioned Sydney were never going to score as a result.
    My question: Carlton employed a similar tactic to Sydney against us. Yet for whatever reason we allowed Carlton PLENTY of chances to score on the counter whereas Richmond did not allow that against the swans. There's no chance Carlton are world beaters and that much better than the swans. So what gives? Is it simply we pressed to high? Seriously i can't stomach that as an answer.
    Sydney flooded the Richmond forward line. We flooded our own. They all ran into the same space, how often did we see someone run into the open?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Interesting hearing Hardwicks comments regarding their game against Sydney.

He mentioned Sydney essentially flooded their forward line and that despite the tigers having repeat forward 50 entries they just couldn't score because of all the congestion. He also mentioned Sydney were never going to score as a result.
    My question: Carlton employed a similar tactic to Sydney against us. Yet for whatever reason we allowed Carlton PLENTY of chances to score on the counter whereas Richmond did not allow that against the swans. There's no chance Carlton are world beaters and that much better than the swans. So what gives? Is it simply we pressed to high? Seriously i can't stomach that as an answer.
    Its a combination isnt it? We pressed too high but also Sydney flood completely back. There should be a happy medium to find there against teams like Carlton. The high press can work really well but Carlton have embarrassed us in the last 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Its a combination isnt it? We pressed too high but also Sydney flood completely back. There should be a happy medium to find there against teams like Carlton. The high press can work really well but Carlton have embarrassed us in the last 3 years.
    Richmond definitely setup deeper behind the ball too. Look at Essendon now theyve adjusted with Caracella on board and are very Richmond like.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...eaways-round-6

Key takeaways: Round 6
    Recap the hot topics and talking points from the Bulldogs' loss to Carlton at Metricon Stadium.

1. Blues breach Dogs’ defence

After conceding less than 40 points in the previous three games, the Bulldogs’ defence was exposed by Carlton.

The Blues’ ability to transition quickly and get goal-side proved too much for the Bulldogs to handle.

They had just 41 inside-50s compared to the Bulldogs’ 53, but crucially when they went forward they capitalized – generating 23 scoring shots from those entries.

Remarkably, it was the third consecutive game the Blues have cracked a ton against us – following on from both games in 2019, which were split one apiece.

2. Hunter’s seamless return

You wouldn’t have known Lachie Hunter hadn’t played AFL footy for four weeks.

He was one of the Bulldogs’ most impactful players on Sunday night in greasy conditions, alternating between wing and forward roles.

Hunter collected 27 disposals and generated 475 metres gained – both game highs – and his eight score involvements were a team high.

Here’s hoping for more of the same against the Bombers in five days’ time.

3. The kids are alright

Not for the first time this year, the Bulldogs fielded one of the youngest teams in the competition – second this round, behind Sydney.

And if there’s a positive from the disappointment of the result, it’s this:

The kids are alright.

Bailey Smith was arguably best afield for the Bulldogs with 26 disposals (10 contested), four tackles and six clearances.

Equally impressive was Laitham Vandermeer in just his fifth game, kicking a pair of goals, and second-gamer Louis Butler had 16 touches down back.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Coaches votes

Carlton v Western Bulldogs
    8 – Jack Martin
    5 – Ed Curnow
    5 – Jack Macrae
    4 – Eddie Betts
    3 – Alex Keath
    2 – Harry McKay
    2 – Michael Gibbons
    1 – Bailey Smith

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Coaches votes

8 – Jack Martin
    5 – Ed Curnow
    5 – Jack Macrae
    4 – Eddie Betts
    3 – Alex Keath
    2 – Harry McKay
    2 – Michael Gibbons
    1 – Bailey Smith
    Can someone decipher these votes for me?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Coaches votes

8 – Jack Martin
    5 – Ed Curnow
    5 – Jack Macrae
    4 – Eddie Betts
    3 – Alex Keath
    2 – Harry McKay
    2 – Michael Gibbons
    1 – Bailey Smith
    Is this saying Martin was clearly best on ground?

I thought he was a little way behind Vandermeer, although it always helps if you already have a reputation.

Post Thanks / Like

5- Macrae
    5 - Curnow
    4- Martin
    4 - Martin
    3 - Betts
    3- Keath
    2 - McKay
    2 - Gibbons
    1 - Betts
    1 - Smith

Really interesting votes - each coach's BOG wasn't in the other coach's top 5.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

10. Likes soupman, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Only Martin and Betts got votes from both coaches, and Betts only just qualifies for that too.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right