Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

Vale John Kennedy sr

Hawthorn"s first premiership coach John Kennedy sr has passed away at the age of 91.

In addition to being a 3 time premiership coach Kennedy played 165 games and kicked 27 goals.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vale John Kennedy sr

Extra emotional for Josh tonight with his grandfather passing away and his 250th game.

"Do. Don't think, Mick, don’t hope. Do."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Extra emotional for Josh tonight with his grandfather passing away and his 250th game.

"Do. Don't think, Mick, don’t hope. Do."
    I told my mum that John Kennedy sr had died. She said "who's he?" I said "the football coach" Mum said "Who did he coach?" I said "Hawthorn-coached them to three flags" Mum said "Nup, don't know him" So I told her that he coached them to the 1961 flag against us but she still didn't know who I meant.

So I thought for a bit and then yelled "Don't think, DO. Do SOMETHING" and she said "Oh him. Oh that's a shame"

4. Likes bornadog, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Top coach of his era. RIP.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

When we played our home games at Optus and Paul Hudson was playing with us Peter Hudson used to come to our games to watch him. I was an AFL member back then and one day I was sitting in the stand when Peter Hudson and John Kennedy sr came and sat directly in front of me. I thought all my Christmases had come at once and things couldn't get any better until Alan Jeans walked past, stopped and yelled out "is there room for one more up there?" I learned more about footy that day than I've learned in all my other days combined.

7. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the fathers of football, made it what it is today.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Although a club like Hawthorn pride themselves as not being about individuals, Kennedy was the one that turned them into the most successful club over the last 50 years. Hawthorn had been easybeats throughout their vfa/vfl history up until the 1950's. Kennedy as a player helped change that. Rip john.

10. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Although a club like Hawthorn pride themselves as not being about individuals, Kennedy was the one that turned them into the most successful club over the last 50 years. Hawthorn had been easybeats throughout their vfa/vfl history up until the 1950's. Kennedy as a player helped change that. Rip john.
    Our General Manager is a Hawthorn member and said exactly the same today. Met him years ago in a lift at Cabrini Hospital. Lovely man.
    I bleed Red,White & Blue

Post Thanks / Like

One of the legends in the game.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"