Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 4, 2020, vs Sydney Swans

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    I know this cannot possibly be correct so feel free to correct me:

After the first four games with the Bulldogs Bruce is yet to kick the ball a dozen times (for 2 goals).

If it is correct, please complete the following:

The last full forward to do this was .......

(in the first 4 games with Richmond last year Lynch kicked the ball 30 times for 15 goals)
    I’m not being smart but is Bruce taking away the best backman and letting Naughton have some freedom ?
    If so he is doing his job.
    By the way the overweight thing seems to be just people saying it, have t heard the club or anyone else (media) mentioning it, he is a big boy but I think that’s a furphy.
    Did anyone notice after Naughtons injury he came into the game more?
    We did start to look for him and he presented , yeah he missed one he should have got but which bulldog player didn’t on the night ?
    Every club seems to struggle to kick what seems like easy goals.
    I’m sticking by him and I think it’s scapegoat stuff.
    Last week he was interviewed and actually praised for just being a presence and using his size.
    He will have his days in the sun the minute we look for him more ( which could be sooner than later ) with Naughton injured.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I’m not being smart but is Bruce taking away the best backman and letting Naughton have some freedom ?
    By the way the overweight thing seems to be just people saying it, have t heard the club or anyone else (media) mentioning it, he is a big boy but I think that’s a furphy.
    We did start to look for him and he presented , yeah he missed one he should have got but which bulldog player didn’t on the night ?
    Last week he was interviewed and actually praised for just being a presence and using his size.
    He will have his days in the sun the minute we look for him more ( which could be sooner than later ) with Naughton injured.
    Lol you only have to look at him to know he's carrying extra weight.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    ????
    last year Schache started better (not great- 5 goals in 4 games) and was dropped for 8 games.

Post Thanks / Like

On Bruce, I've been really really unimpressed with him....BUT....would also say that we have made the investment in him, we owe it to ourselves to stick with him I think. With Naughton out - we need Bruce as a focal point, and hopefully he hits the scoreboard during the time Naughton is out and gets some confidence and connectedness with his new team mates.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    On Bruce, I've been really really unimpressed with him....BUT....would also say that we have made the investment in him, we owe it to ourselves to stick with him I think. With Naughton out - we need Bruce as a focal point, and hopefully he hits the scoreboard during the time Naughton is out and gets some confidence and connectedness with his new team mates.
    Yeah, I agree he needs to play, for the reasons you suggested and also because if he's dropped, he'll only blow out more.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Who are the tall forwards actually having an impact this season?
    Charlie Dixon who is getting A-grade supply. Anyone else?

The game just doesn't suit tall forwards right now, but they are still vital structurally.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

7. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Who are the tall forwards actually having an impact this season?
    Charlie Dixon who is getting A-grade supply. Anyone else?

The game just doesn't suit tall forwards right now, but they are still vital structurally.
    All bar Dixon are struggling. Go in with a smaller line-up might become the trend
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    All bar Dixon are struggling. Go in with a smaller line-up might become the trend
    Look at Collingwood - Mihocek is a mid-sizer playing tall, they get a spare-parts tall (Cox/Cameron) as the "get out" option, and their genuine mid-sizers are doing the damage (Stephenson/De Goey).

We seem to be doing things remarkably different - defenders or midfielders doing as much scoring as forwards who spend as much time defending the rebound as they do attacking. Bont may and up in our top 5 goal scorers again despite playing 95% of his time in the centre.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I have been paying a lot of attention to this lately and it seems teams are just bombing the ball into the forward line hoping for the big mark.

Is it the way they are bringing the ball down the ground, or is it because forwards aren't able to lead into space due to congestion?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Look at Collingwood - Mihocek is a mid-sizer playing tall, they get a spare-parts tall (Cox/Cameron) as the "get out" option, and their genuine mid-sizers are doing the damage (Stephenson/De Goey).

We seem to be doing things remarkably different - defenders or midfielders doing as much scoring as forwards who spend as much time defending the rebound as they do attacking. Bont may and up in our top 5 goal scorers again despite playing 95% of his time in the centre.
    I'm not sure they seem to be playing in a similar vein to us. Everything happens off half back and while they've had a reliable target (Mihocek) must of their goals have also come from their mids (Brown, Adams). De Goey has been a witches hat so far this year.

As an aside I don't think Collingwood can win a flag without Howe.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.