Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  32
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you have learned-round 4 v the Swannies 2020

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Although Wallis has this bizarre ability to get caught in a wrestle with his opponent and then effectively get punched in the gut by the footy when it arrives. Amazingly unique marking style.
    He is an excellent contested mark in exactly the way you mention. Whereas Picken was exceptional overhead Wallis leaves things to the last minute to out position his opponent in a wrestle and as you say, get punched in the gut by the footy.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Does feel like he's been around for a good 8-10 years!
    It does, doesn't it.

Played in GF in his 11th game at age 19
    Last edited by bornadog; 27-06-2020 at 01:19 PM. Reason: accuracy
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Best thing the MC did, he has been very good the past two weeks.

Funny how we call him a senior player when he is only 23.
    Cordy having played in a premiership so early in his career has probably meant that he hasn't been the beneficiary of the sort of patience and understanding a young (somewhat undersized) key back would normally get. His sheer competitiveness makes the team better, perhaps the 1 game out of the side, is the push he needed to be back playing on the edge.

4. Likes Testekill, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It does, doesn't it.

Played in GF in his 13th game at age 19
    Wow i must admit that is a real eye opener for me. Completely overlooked how young he actually is

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Although Wallis has this bizarre ability to get caught in a wrestle with his opponent and then effectively get punched in the gut by the footy when it arrives. Amazingly unique marking style.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He is an excellent contested mark in exactly the way you mention. Whereas Picken was exceptional overhead Wallis leaves things to the last minute to out position his opponent in a wrestle and as you say, get punched in the gut by the footy.
    Was I seeing things last night or did Wally headbutt the ball? He was tackled from behind and he didn't have time to handball the ball so he just sort of bounced it off his forehead instead to a player a couple of metres in front of him. It was in the second half.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

7. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It does, doesn't it.

Played in GF in his 13th game at age 19
    Actually only his 11th!!! (sorry to be picky!). Games 8,9,10,11 were the finals - fair initiation!! And we had Dunkley playing his 17th, and Mclean is 19th. Feels like they've all been around forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Daniel was a 33 game veteran by the time the grand final rolled around, Hamling had played a whopping 22 games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Cordy having played in a premiership so early in his career has probably meant that he hasn't been the beneficiary of the sort of patience and understanding a young (somewhat undersized) key back would normally get. His sheer competitiveness makes the team better, perhaps the 1 game out of the side, is the push he needed to be back playing on the edge.
    I have always liked his mongrel. He's not overly violent or a thug, He doesn't go out of his way to start fights or pick players off but if he has to hurt somebody then he will. He doesn't big note himself like a faux tough guy but he's just the type of player that I wouldn't want to find myself between the ball and him.

It's a really rare quality in a player. There are heaps of players who glory in the tough stuff and there are a lot more who are just out and out thugs. Zaine's quality is different though.With him it's like it's nothing personal and he doesn't glory in the violence. For Zaine it's just the price of doing business.

I think that's what went missing out of his game. That sense of mongrel and players asking themselves where the hell Zaine Cordy is as they ran to a contest.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Bont’s mark set the scene . Follow me
    2. Kept Sydney to their lowest ever half time score . Two weeks running
    3. Bevo backs the kids in , and always has

Post Thanks / Like

1. Westy looks to be a good one on one player too, and will only get stronger. Good hands like Libba. Learn the craft around half fwd with mid rotation and he will play ALOT of games.

2. The interrupted preseason/break etc has not helped Bruce. Can’t even get off the ground. He needs a diet.

3. The last 2 games we have showed hunger, determination and team work. Just goes to show what can be accomplished when everyone is on the same page.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    He also thought Lipinski was Josh Bruce. Poor Patrick
    At least twice!! I was astounded.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    1. Rhyee West was certainly not subject to any mix-up at the hospital as a baby

2. Dropping Cordy for a game was a masterstroke. He looks hungry again

3. Bont will never run onto a football field without a tag again. What the hell was Horse thinking in the first half?
    Cordy has been great since being dropped agree. The question is though should it happened last year?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Cordy has been great since being dropped agree. The question is though should it happened last year?
    With respect, that's a question for last year.

I get starting a response with "with respect" means no respect is forthcoming, but that's not the case here. It's a new year, he was dropped and he's seemingly come back.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Hit outs are the most over rated stat in modern football. I would rather have what Tim English did at ground level on Thursday night compared to the three Swans talls input. Back the midfielders in to win the contested footy regardless of who gets the tap. Most ruckmen get towelled up by Grundy , it's no disgrace, he's only 22 and will only get better.
    2. Our kids are exciting but most importantly look at home immediately, they add some dash (Butler, Vandermeer) and some toughness (Smith, West). I know some like to compare Rylee to his old man which is entirely fair but to me he plays like Jack Viney and will eventually get some midfield minutes but more than happy with him playing as a contested pressure forward until that time comes.
    3. Our fitness levels are impressive. We had the youngest 22 over the round and were playing our third game in 11 days with 2 soldiers down and yet were still running on top of the ground at the final siren.
    Last edited by Mitcha; 27-06-2020 at 01:42 PM.

17. Likes bornadog, Max469, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. English is a very skilled big man. Definitely headed for a long career at the top.
    2. West is tough and will cement his place in the team this year.
    3. Our pressure was the best it has been for a long time.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."