Thanks Thanks:  46
Likes Likes:  203
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Essendon R7 2020

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    One of my old friends is a so called Essendon supporter, but fair weather one. Will only go when the team is doing well and won't buy a membership when they are down. Doesn't know any players either. I try to avoid him when we are going to play Essendon, but last year, I couldn't get out of it as he arranged the tickets. I ended up sitting amongst all the Essendon supporters and I thoroughly enjoyed the belting we gave them.

If only we beat Carlton last week it would have been the treble of clubs I hate with GWS.
    It's one of life's great pleasure when you get stuck in area filled with the opposition supporters and the Bulldogs are on
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's one of life's great pleasure when you get stuck in area filled with the opposition supporters and the Bulldogs are on
    and one of the worse experiences when you are losing.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I've never met a truly decent Essendon supporter.
    I do know a few Essendon supporters and some are terrific people. They are all obviously improved from knowing a genuine person who barracks for the Bulldogs.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

5. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I do know a few Essendon supporters and some are terrific people. They are all obviously improved from knowing a genuine person who barracks for the Bulldogs.
    Yes, you've obviously rubbed off on them. It's the only possible answer.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yes, you've obviously rubbed off on them. It's the only possible answer.
    I know.
    I take pleasure in improving the lives of others
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Most Essendon supporters I know are lovely people who are totally irrational in their views about football; exactly how it should be.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

9. Likes Bulldog Joe, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I did some work telemarketing for a firm whose customers include AFL clubs several years ago. I sold raffle tickets etc to Essendon supporters from the clubs membership list.
    I felt sad for some of them. They were loyal, would fork out for their club but were angry at the admin for destroying their club.
    I can't stand the club but many of the true supporters are good people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Just got a text from a mate with some interesting runs.

1974-1977 we beat Fitzroy 7 times in a row

1972-1974 we beat Geelong 5 times in a row including 2 wins at Kardinia Park

1984-1986 we beat North six times in a row.

Interesting read about the first of the Geelong wins:

https://australianfootball.com/artic...oo+hoodoo/1373
    Mic Rees is a very good writer.

That 1972 game is my earliest Bulldog memory. Listened to the game on the radio and when said it was our first win their since 1945, i found it unfathomable.

12. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post

That 1972 game is my earliest Bulldog memory. Listened to the game on the radio and when said it was our first win their since 1945, i found it unfathomable.
    The mighty Bruce Neish played that day. He was never in a losing Bulldogs side that played at Kardinia Park. In fact he never played in a losing Bulldogs team. He must have wondered what all the fuss was about.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

14. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So glad I picked the Bombers game to go to and not the Carlton one.
    It's the first time I've been to Metricon; it's a lovely boutique stadium. Great viewing from up on the 2nd level. Can see play at both ends easily. We were perched 65 metres out to the end the Dog's kicked to in the first.

Some observations.
    I'm not well versed in the modern positional tactics, so maybe others can explain. But what I saw was that whilst both sides pressed up their defense, we seemed really motivated all game to ensure our last line stretched from either side, were all behind the Essendon opponents, and each were constantly looking to their left and right and adjusting where the stood, very deliberately. With guys glancing and then either stepping back or forward, or to the left or right depending on what the guys around them were doing. We seemed real keen on blocking up the middle.
    Almost always, whenever a bomber would try and move behind them, the whole line would adjust, and someone would drop back (often Caleb Daniel) would move 5 or 10 metres behind the Bomber who'd tried to drop behind the line of Dogs.

What was also noticeable was how quickly that defensive line would turn tail and run back when the ball was turned over. They seemed really switched on to maintain whatever structure it was they were seeking to deploy.

I can't remember when it happened, but after a point in time, JJ moved and really worked hard to stick with Saad whenever they had the ball, and when the opportunity presented to get off him when we were attacking.

The one negative thing and maybe helps explain why our forwards seem to make hard work of forward entries. They all seem to get tangled up with each other, and often 2 or three will make leads that converge on each other, and consequently bring with them more opposition players. Previously I thought our main problems were delivery from upfield... I'm not so sure now. Bailey Dale seemed to be constantly impinging on hard leads from other players. Weightman did it a couple of times (understandable- he's new), but Wallis too did it a few times. And when you have both Dale and Wallis doing it, when Bruce in particular was in a strong leading position, it just looks ordinary and not smart.

Macrae, and Libba in particular were so tough last night. Lots of work, they just never stopped moving, and trying to get to as many contests as possible.

Lipinski a couple of times, had more time than he thought, but just didn't show confidence to take a step and assess before getting rid of the ball. A couple of chances ruined by offloading and putting the next bloke under more pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I know.
    I take pleasure in improving the lives of others
    Just like Vinny says at the end of Lock, Stock. "It's been emotional"

He's a terrific writer and a terrific bloke. So long as you're not an opposition supporter stupid enough to get into an argument with him at the football.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    The mighty Bruce Neish played that day. He was never in a losing Bulldogs side that played at Kardinia Park. In fact he never played in a losing Bulldogs team. He must have wondered what all the fuss was about.
    Had never heard of Neish. Just looked him up and found he only played a single game for us. What a legendary game to be a part of!
    Sorry this is a digression from last night's game. Although he also played with the bombers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    So glad I picked the Bombers game to go to and not the Carlton one.
    It's the first time I've been to Metricon; it's a lovely boutique stadium. Great viewing from up on the 2nd level. Can see play at both ends easily. We were perched 65 metres out to the end the Dog's kicked to in the first.

Some observations.
    I'm not well versed in the modern positional tactics, so maybe others can explain. But what I saw was that whilst both sides pressed up their defense, we seemed really motivated all game to ensure our last line stretched from either side, were all behind the Essendon opponents, and each were constantly looking to their left and right and adjusting where the stood, very deliberately. With guys glancing and then either stepping back or forward, or to the left or right depending on what the guys around them were doing. We seemed real keen on blocking up the middle.
    Almost always, whenever a bomber would try and move behind them, the whole line would adjust, and someone would drop back (often Caleb Daniel) would move 5 or 10 metres behind the Bomber who'd tried to drop behind the line of Dogs.

What was also noticeable was how quickly that defensive line would turn tail and run back when the ball was turned over. They seemed really switched on to maintain whatever structure it was they were seeking to deploy.

I can't remember when it happened, but after a point in time, JJ moved and really worked hard to stick with Saad whenever they had the ball, and when the opportunity presented to get off him when we were attacking.

The one negative thing and maybe helps explain why our forwards seem to make hard work of forward entries. They all seem to get tangled up with each other, and often 2 or three will make leads that converge on each other, and consequently bring with them more opposition players. Previously I thought our main problems were delivery from upfield... I'm not so sure now. Bailey Dale seemed to be constantly impinging on hard leads from other players. Weightman did it a couple of times (understandable- he's new), but Wallis too did it a few times. And when you have both Dale and Wallis doing it, when Bruce in particular was in a strong leading position, it just looks ordinary and not smart.

Macrae, and Libba in particular were so tough last night. Lots of work, they just never stopped moving, and trying to get to as many contests as possible.

Lipinski a couple of times, had more time than he thought, but just didn't show confidence to take a step and assess before getting rid of the ball. A couple of chances ruined by offloading and putting the next bloke under more pressure.
    Thanks YHF. It's great to read your observations. You're our man on the ground in the Sunshine State so expect reports not only from the matches but also training sessions and players performance on the surfboards and golf course.

19. Thanks Yankee Hotel Foxtrot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great write up YHF.
    The forward line leads are why i want Schache to okay, he is smart and he and Bruce were never in each others way

21. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks YHF. It's great to read your observations. You're our man on the ground in the Sunshine State so expect reports not only from the matches but also training sessions and players performance on the surfboards and golf course.
    I hope I get permission to see a few more....I'm burning up loads of crddits going on my annual camping trip next weekend with my mates, leaving her at home with the two kids!

23. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post