Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our Ruck Direction

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    But what do we gain versus sacrifice if we bring Sweet in? Tim's played his best footy around the ground these past couple of weeks, do we bring Sweet in just for the stoppages and let Tim rove? What does Sweet do when we actually have it and when we don't, and there's no ruck contests to contest?

Who goes out for Sweet? Our team defence backed by English playing behind the ball at times has been excellent the last two weeks, how does Sweet actually add to that?
    Naughton
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Think we need to reconsider having at best a threat to bring the ball to ground and at worst a total novice in a key forward position against the Roos (especially when the "good" key forward would be Bruce), who's backline is actually pretty dynamic and dangerous at rebounding the ball. I'd prefer Schache or even Dickson to come in to force some greater accountability rather than bring in Sweet and hope for the best.

Also no one @ me with "Sweet beat Goldstein in the pre-season" because I looked it up and Goldstein had 47 hitouts to 25, which I'm pretty sure should be enough evidence for the only one among us to bring it up.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

3. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Catch 22

we can’t possibly play Sweet in any capacity
    because
    we haven’t played Sweet in any capacity.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess this is the week we find out if English has progressed or has just faced some shit rucks.

His goal in the ruck must just be to limit Goldsteins influence in the hitouts, and match his influence around the ground. Both are hard tasks. English's recent form around the ground means the latter is feasible, but if he can limit the hitout dominance of an actually good ruck it will be a major step forward.

I did like the idea of bringing in Trengrove to help wear down good opposition ruckmen, but with the shortened quarters I don't think it's feasible to pick him as a second ruck, although Ben Brown is one of the three nearly perfect physical matchups for him.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Think we need to reconsider having at best a threat to bring the ball to ground and at worst a total novice in a key forward position against the Roos (especially when the "good" key forward would be Bruce), who's backline is actually pretty dynamic and dangerous at rebounding the ball. I'd prefer Schache or even Dickson to come in to force some greater accountability rather than bring in Sweet and hope for the best.

Also no one @ me with "Sweet beat Goldstein in the pre-season" because I looked it up and Goldstein had 47 hitouts to 25, which I'm pretty sure should be enough evidence for the only one among us to bring it up.
    actual stats -

Dogs v North 2019

Goldstein: disposals 28 hitouts 57
    English: Disposals 11 hitouts 7

Goldstein best on ground, match winning performance.

Marsh cup

Goldstein: disposals 14 hitouts 47
    Sweet : Disposals 13 hitouts 25

Goldstein behind Bont, Macrae and Hunter. Dunkley just behind him

In short, Sweet was beaten but restricted Goldstein’s impact and allowed our midfielders to dominate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    actual stats -

Dogs v North 2019

Goldstein: disposals 28 hitouts 57
    English: Disposals 11 hitouts 7

Goldstein best on ground, match winning performance.

Marsh cup

In short, Sweet was beaten but restricted Goldstein’s impact and allowed our midfielders to dominate.
    Lmao got him
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

8. Likes EasternWest, jeemak, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Lmao got him
    Just completing the (incomplete) picture you painted, glad to be of assistance.

Post Thanks / Like

Marsh cup

You forgot the most important stat - we thrashed North, plus it was a practise match.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You forgot the most important stat - we thrashed North, plus it was a practise match.
    I don’t understand the comment.

I said it was the Marsh cup (preseason comp), and when our 4 midfielders are in the 5 best on the ground we usually win.

And against North, if we hold Goldstein we usually win.

for example: 2017

Campbell 12 disposals, 1 goal, 49 hitouts.
    Goldstein 15 disposals, 1 goal, 25 hitouts.

we win.

Post Thanks / Like

Just completing the (incomplete) picture you painted, glad to be of assistance.
    It's a twofer!

Just ragging Danjul. I enjoy reading your posts, I'm always happy to consider a different viewpoint.
    "It's over. It's all over."

13. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t understand the comment.

I said it was the Marsh cup (preseason comp), and when our 4 midfielders are in the 5 best on the ground we usually win.
    Marsh Cup = praticise match

Post Thanks / Like

What I love about Tim is his game sense to drop back and help out the defence and that his marking is becoming a real feature of his game.

I think with Naughty out, it gives us the opportunity to play Sweet because of Tims flexibility and if you're ever going to play both this seems like the week to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    What I love about Tim is his game sense to drop back and help out the defence and that his marking is becoming a real feature of his game.

I think with Naughty out, it gives us the opportunity to play Sweet because of Tims flexibility and if you're ever going to play both this seems like the week to do it.
    Some of his work below his knees was Hudson-esque. He's showing some good signs around the ground like a midfielder but his ruck work still needs some improvement. He's still learning his craft
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

We have a ruck direction?
    BORDERLINE FLYING

18. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This week would be the week to consider a Sweet/English combo with Naughton out, although it's worth noting North may have both Cunnington and Ziebell out which is a hell of a lot of ball-winning capacity to lose.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers