Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  17
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our Ruck Direction

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    This week would be the week to consider a Sweet/English combo with Naughton out, although it's worth noting North may have both Cunnington and Ziebell out which is a hell of a lot of ball-winning capacity to lose.
    North can't win without Cunnington.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    In last weeks injury update, he was marked down as TEST, so he may be available.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    He is a very underrated. Just so elite at such an important facet of footy and plays within his limitations elsewhere. Terrific player.

Depending on how good/bad his tank is, I would be very tempted to play. Like how much ground can he cover and for how long? If he isn't a complete liability, I would love to see English playing in a role that doesn't involved having to compete in hitouts. I think he can really help fill the void left by Naughts as a higher tall forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In last weeks injury update, he was marked down as TEST, so he may be available.
    He was named to play yesterday but was a late withdrawal so who knows? Probably a fair chance to play unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

We have seen since 2015 that Bevo doesn't rate the traditional ruckman - Grundy/Goldy/Gawn are not traditional ruckmen. Think about who he has used in the ruck role - Ayce Cordy, Boyd, Roughie, Dunks, Trengove, English to name a few.

In effect the way Bevo sees the ruck is a 50-50 contest that can give you an advantage if you win it. But if the best a ruckman can do is win the 50-50 contests then that is not enough. They have to contribute around the ground and at the stoppages. Watching foootage of English over the last 2 weeks, what impresses me about him is not that he plays a kick behind the play, but that he is a link up player going forward, providing a viable target and running the opposition ruckman off their feet. Doesn't always work - Grundy out ran English, but against the Sydney sides he was awesome.

6. Likes bornadog, Mofra, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We saw today Tim was given a different role. Taking most of the centre bounce ruck work then slipping down to the forward line to rest and stretch the Crows backline. In the end Dunks took most of the ruck work around the ground.

Of course this won't work against a Max Gawn, or Grundy, but was very effective today as the mids cleaned up the clearances, (well Bont did)

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We saw today Tim was given a different role. Taking most of the centre bounce ruck work then slipping down to the forward line to rest and stretch the Crows backline. In the end Dunks took most of the ruck work around the ground.

Of course this won't work against a Max Gawn, or Grundy, but was very effective today as the mids cleaned up the clearances, (well Bont did)
    You are doing a disservice to Libba. He did the in and under on Sunday, as well as plenty of the skilful bits, especially when "resting" on the half-forward line. Should have kicked the goal when he got the 50 though.

I don't think he has ever played a game in the seconds either? If so, it would have been later with his injuries but he has been there since Round 1, 2011 in the middle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WBFC4FFC View Post
    You are doing a disservice to Libba. He did the in and under on Sunday, as well as plenty of the skilful bits, especially when "resting" on the half-forward line. Should have kicked the goal when he got the 50 though.

I don't think he has ever played a game in the seconds either? If so, it would have been later with his injuries but he has been there since Round 1, 2011 in the middle.
    Sorry, I don't understand your response. I didn't talk about Libba at all?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I don't understand your response. I didn't talk about Libba at all?
    Re-reading my post I sounded harsh but i was not trying to be. Apologies if it came across that way.

It was in reference to your last sentence, where you inferred that Bont got all the clearances on Sunday. I just thought Libba and Macrae played their stock-standard games, with Smith doing better than his already high average as well.

Having said all that, there is nothing to get carried away about. The Crows Mids are their weak-point and they made the Dog's look like a million bucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re-reading my post I sounded harsh but i was not trying to be. Apologies if it came across that way.

It was in reference to your last sentence, where you inferred that Bont got all the clearances on Sunday. I just thought Libba and Macrae played their stock-standard games, with Smith doing better than his already high average as well.

Having said all that, there is nothing to get carried away about. The Crows Mids are their weak-point and they made the Dog's look like a million bucks.
    I didn't think it was harsh. I was confused but now realise what you are talking about. Yeah Libba is a clearance king.

13. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He played 3 games for Footscray in 2017.