Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Hypothetical.

I would never do this because it's a NBA 2K trade that could stuff any sense of culture that we have built in the group, but indulging this for a second;

The best possible way to get a pantheon level superstar is to draft them and get to develop them from day dot, with as little interruption as possible. Cripps, Fyfe, Bont, Dustin, four of the best five players in the game, all have this in common, and the other one, Dangerfield, largely got the same opportunity before being dealt as a complete package.

From a purely asset point of view it's a sideways move, and in reality it would be a schismatic change for two young players that could really hurt their development and set both teams back.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Is this a retrospective thread from the 70’s when we lost players willy nilly
    The negativity on here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    You don't think the same of Bazlenka?
    Absolutely and I love Baz but I REALLY like what Clug does forward of centre. He's played 50 more games granted but he's top 3 in the league on score involvement and goal assists. I mean that's mad.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Absolutely and I love Baz but I REALLY like what Clug does forward of centre. He's played 50 more games granted but he's top 3 in the league on score involvement and goal assists. I mean that's mad.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Baz reaches or exceeds Clug in another 50 games.

Clug also has the benefit of a team that has feasted on some easy kills in the first 4 weeks, Baz hasn't had that luxury.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    From a purely asset point of view it's a sideways move, and in reality it would be a schismatic change for two young players that could really hurt their development and set both teams back.
    Are you referring to the Schacke situation
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be surprised if Baz reaches or exceeds Clug in another 50 games.

Clug also has the benefit of a team that has feasted on some easy kills in the first 4 weeks, Baz hasn't had that luxury.
    All good points. Also Clug has a fair bit of work put into him as well regardless of the opposition.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh yes I remember how well it worked out last time we low balled a future gun.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Ahh yes I remember how well it worked out last time we low balled a future gun.
    We ended up with Jack Macrae???
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

We ended up with Jack Macrae???
    I love Jack Macrae but I'd trade him for Callan Ward in a heartbeat.

Well maybe not a heartbeat, but I'd love Ward back.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I can't answer this sensibly as I'm in love with Baz and haven't seen much of Brisbane given I was out of the country last year and really only made sure I was across Dogs games.

However, I'm calling the bluff. Not talking about low-balling, if we offer what's fair and reasonable and it's rejected then so be it. Sure what's fair and reasonable is subjective and what's available on the market versus what's available within a club filled with some blue chip players rarely aligns, but you need to avoid paying overs to some and unders to others.

Baz alone isn't going to win us a flag, subbing him out and bringing someone of McCluggage's quality in is going to be a relatively neutral outcome on that front. A good list structure, a good playing culture and an even spread of quality in your bottom 16-18 regular players will have more of an impact.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

11. Likes The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I love Jack Macrae but I'd trade him for Callan Ward in a heartbeat.

Well maybe not a heartbeat, but I'd love Ward back.
    Now there's a good idea for a sliding doors review. I love Jacko, he's been great for us in some really big games though Ward if given the opportunity could have been as well.

I wonder what Jacko's output/ status in the GWS environment would have been like compared to what he's been able to produce in ours.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

1/. I don't know anything.
    2/. This is just a bit of fun.

There has been a bit of Bailey Smith love around my Bulldogs "people" lately and - much like a back in the day thread I remember proposing a hypothetical "Mitch Hahn for Jason Akermanis" trade, I thought I would use the same two clubs and put something up.

Please don't think I am saying Smith is leaving or McCluggage is coming...don't take it so literally...it's just a conversation about the outright VALUE of a football player...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    1/. I don't know anything.
    2/. This is just a bit of fun.

There has been a bit of Bailey Smith love around my Bulldogs "people" lately and - much like a back in the day thread I remember proposing a hypothetical "Mitch Hahn for Jason Akermanis" trade, I thought I would use the same two clubs and put something up.

Please don't think I am saying Smith is leaving or McCluggage is coming...don't take it so literally...it's just a conversation about the outright VALUE of a football player...
    Would you do the swap?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Would you do the swap?
    LOL. Ummm. No.

I wouldn't trade Bailey Smith for anything or anyone. I wouldn't trade Bailey Smith for the Great Southern Stand (mind you, that has probably dropped in value since, well, there aren't any actual crowds!).

He is John Platten re-incarnate. He is in and under, take the game on, tackle hard, cop it back, keep smiling and do it again. McCluggage is class and I love watching him play...but Smith represents the type of footballer I always wished that I could have been (stylistically talking of course).
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

16. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Me too, I would never trade Smith, but I have a feeling they will be coming for him soon, so we better be prepared.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.