Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  16
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Hypothetical.

Jacko should be a dual All Australian by now, teams put a lot of work into him weekly and he still menaces them with earning the hard ball, and being creative both by hand and by foot. I love what Baz could bring to the table in the future but we don't know whether he can reach Jacko's level, then do it consistently, and deliver what Jacko did in a GF where many close watchers think he should have won the Norm Smith.

Seemingly still underrated by some, Jack has put together unbelievably consistent and creative football over many years now and I think he is the type of player you really miss when he's not there. I'm not saying Baz can't be that player, and I'm extremely excited to see what he can do, but once he's dealing with the week to week grind and pressure Jack does at the coal face we can then judge in my view.

We don't need a Cameron to win a flag, and I wouldn't give up Jack to test the hypothesis. I'd prefer to not give up Dunkley either, but if I had to choose.....
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Jacko should be a dual All Australian by now, teams put a lot of work into him weekly and he still menaces them with earning the hard ball, and being creative both by hand and by foot. I love what Baz could bring to the table in the future but we don't know whether he can reach Jacko's level, then do it consistently, and deliver what Jacko did in a GF where many close watchers think he should have won the Norm Smith.

Seemingly still underrated by some, Jack has put together unbelievably consistent and creative football over many years now and I think he is the type of player you really miss when he's not there. I'm not saying Baz can't be that player, and I'm extremely excited to see what he can do, but once he's dealing with the week to week grind and pressure Jack does at the coal face we can then judge in my view.

We don't need a Cameron to win a flag, and I wouldn't give up Jack to test the hypothesis. I'd prefer to not give up Dunkley either, but if I had to choose.....
    Totally agree, Macrae is a hard working mid that is not appreciated, and now it seems by our own supporters.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Totally agree, Macrae is a hard working mid that is not appreciated, and now it seems by our own supporters.
    I think he's definitely appreciated, it's just possible he's a touch underappreciated and what Baz has shown is really exciting.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry - I thought we were taking about gws Cameron (Yuk including that horrible moustache). Charlie Cameron is a great player but I think I would want to keep Bailey Smith if I had to choose. I think he is going to be Dangerfield/Dusty level good.

Agree Bont, Naughton and B Smith are at present our untouchables. If we keep them all for 5 or more years I reckon we can win another flag - maybe two.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he's definitely appreciated, it's just possible he's a touch underappreciated and what Baz has shown is really exciting.
    Yep, this. Maybe Macrae realising he is third in line and that could even go back to fourth depending on Dunkley's development would be pragmatic enough to want to go elsewhere. Then again maybe he's the type that is happy not to be the main man.

Going to another club isn't the end of the world. When I was a kid a couple of times local cricket clubs came knocking on the door to talk to the old man wanting to know whether I'd be interested in changing clubs. I said yes once and I said no once because I was happy where I was. But it was nice to know that other clubs were interested.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yep, this. Maybe Macrae realising he is third in line and that could even go back to fourth depending on Dunkley's development would be pragmatic enough to want to go elsewhere. Then again maybe he's the type that is happy not to be the main man.

Going to another club isn't the end of the world. When I was a kid a couple of times local cricket clubs came knocking on the door to talk to the old man wanting to know whether I'd be interested in changing clubs. I said yes once and I said no once because I was happy where I was. But it was nice to know that other clubs were interested.
    That's not my point at all.

I don't think Dunkley will ever surpass Jack. I think Baz will have to work his arse off to get to Jack's level and stay there. He's a fair bit off it, although, he's taking the right steps to get there.

The point of what I was saying is that Jacko is a freak and it's only because we have Bont that we underappreciate him. There's only a handful of spots for players of his type in the league that can fit in an AA side and he's done it once and should have done it twice (apparently Shane Edwards had a better season in 2018). Even Bont has only ever done it twice.

He's also completely unique in the way that he plays, there's no other player in the league who can hit targets by hand and foot the way he does on both sides when he's on song. A midfield of quality contains players of differing attributes, what Jack brings can't be replicated by anyone on our list let alone anyone in the league, and it delivers unbelievable value. Dunkley is a freak in his own right but doesn't come close to Jack.

Again, if Baz gets to his level of influence then great, but have some respect for the body of work Jack has put in over time.

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't Macrae the no 1 midfielder in the competition for assists last year?
    He also leads the club from scores per inside 50 entries. It's an interesting stat as some suggest his footskills aren't that much of a weapon, but the stats say otherwise.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Wasn't Macrae the no 1 midfielder in the competition for assists last year?
    He also leads the club from scores per inside 50 entries. It's an interesting stat as some suggest his footskills aren't that much of a weapon, but the stats say otherwise.
    Macrae is on my no trade list, although I do have some concerns that he does not contribute on our really bad days and I wonder if he doesn't always embrace the team ethic.

However, if we needed to trade out one of our regulars for the right talent, I would start my offer with Caleb Daniel.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Macrae is on my no trade list, although I do have some concerns that he does not contribute on our really bad days and I wonder if he doesn't always embrace the team ethic.

However, if we needed to trade out one of our regulars for the right talent, I would start my offer with Caleb Daniel.
    Oh wow ok I wouldn't be going there personally what a jet. He'd be my next keeper after Bont and Naughts. He's so influential when he's playing well, such a marvellous footy brain will be as good as Sam Mitchell when he's 25. I guess that means he has collateral to some.

I'd be devo if we traded him.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Macrae is AA and elite. Smith is an exciting prospect. Anyone thinking about trading them for C Cameron or anyone else is on another planet even in another galaxy imo.

12. Likes bornadog, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Oh wow ok I wouldn't be going there personally what a jet. He'd be my next keeper after Bont and Naughts. He's so influential when he's playing well, such a marvellous footy brain will be as good as Sam Mitchell when he's 25. I guess that means he has collateral to some.

I'd be devo if we traded him.
    I guess it does show that everyone sees things from a different perspective.

In my view Caleb is too easily exposed despite his attributes.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it does show that everyone sees things from a different perspective.

In my view Caleb is too easily exposed despite his attributes.
    Exposed how? You mean how Bevo plays him or a deficiency in his skill set?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Exposed how? You mean how Bevo plays him or a deficiency in his skill set?
    Well, I don't want this to be a discussion on Caleb and perhaps it would be better moved to a thread dedicated to him.

He gets by on footy nous, but he does have deficiencies.

The way Bevo is playing him uses his strengths but he could be easily exposed in a mismatch if the opposition coach decided that was a viable tactic.

Post Thanks / Like

All good just asking questions because you put his name up. I'll move on.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I don't want this to be a discussion on Caleb and perhaps it would be better moved to a thread dedicated to him.

He gets by on footy nous, but he does have deficiencies.

The way Bevo is playing him uses his strengths but he could be easily exposed in a mismatch if the opposition coach decided that was a viable tactic.
    But I think that's the point, it's not viable to try and run a forward system to isolate one defencive player in lieu of defences relying less on one on one defending.

Caleb's an elite runner with excellent skills. We're playing him where we think he adds the most value for now, though he can play further up the ground.

Now would I trade him for Cameron? Possibly, though Caleb's just about to turn 24 and has some more improvement in him.