Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  16
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Hypothetical.

I would be signing him up on a 10 year deal now with a couple of clauses in the contract for a little bit of protection.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    LOL. Ummm. No.

I wouldn't trade Bailey Smith for anything or anyone. I wouldn't trade Bailey Smith for the Great Southern Stand (mind you, that has probably dropped in value since, well, there aren't any actual crowds!).

He is John Platten re-incarnate. He is in and under, take the game on, tackle hard, cop it back, keep smiling and do it again. McCluggage is class and I love watching him play...but Smith represents the type of footballer I always wished that I could have been (stylistically talking of course).
    I really like this description.

Bailey Smith has got me as excited as any player we have ever drafted and we have been spoiled by the draftees in recent years.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Me too, I would never trade Smith, but I have a feeling they will be coming for him soon, so we better be prepared.
    I'm sure every gun youngster is considered by 17 other clubs.
    I'm also sure we will have the cap space to sign him up to a juicy, long term deal from next year. Trengove + Suckling are on $750-800k between them and with three kids likely coming to us (JUH, Raak, McPherson) that's three base-salary players for the next two years.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'm sure every gun youngster is considered by 17 other clubs.
    I'm also sure we will have the cap space to sign him up to a juicy, long term deal from next year. Trengove + Suckling are on $750-800k between them and with three kids likely coming to us (JUH, Raak, McPherson) that's three base-salary players for the next two years.
    It's cool to think that players like JUH are signed on base level deals. It isn't so. That's why so many high picks 'extend' their contracts before they even play a single game.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I would not even think about trading Smith for one second.

Post Thanks / Like

How about instead of McLuggage, it was Charlie Cameron on the table?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Charlie is still only 25 years old - seems he has been around a long time.

I would still stick with Smith.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    It's cool to think that players like JUH are signed on base level deals. It isn't so. That's why so many high picks 'extend' their contracts before they even play a single game.
    IIRC We can't pay them more than their mandated salary in their first two years, hence the restriction on payment in the first year of Tom Boyd's monster deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    That's a no brainer. I mean I have Bulldog-coloured glasses on too but Cameron is just what we need.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    That's a no brainer. I mean I have Bulldog-coloured glasses on too but Cameron is just what we need.
    Not sure Cameron gets it done in finals, where the space is not there. He is a cream on the cake type, not someone who really influences results at the pointy end of the season. By contrast, players like Bailey Smith with their inside/outside skill set are worth their weight in gold come the high pressure environment of finals.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

11. Likes azabob, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Man, you're underrating a kid that could end up in the Danger/Dusty echelon.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Not sure Cameron gets it done in finals, where the space is not there. He is a cream on the cake type, not someone who really influences results at the pointy end of the season. By contrast, players like Bailey Smith with their inside/outside skill set are worth their weight in gold come the high pressure environment of finals.
    Agreed. Charlie is good but he needs the structure beneath him that gets the ball to him. No point trading out that structure player in order to get him. If we put Smith up forward and left him there then he would kick as many goals and provide the same pressure as Cameron. If we put Cameron into the middle he wouldn't provide half of what Baz provides.

Baz has it all. He's inside/outside, uses the ball well, never panics, loves to tuck the ball under his arm and run, he lives for a challenge and he kicks goals. When a player twice his size pushes him over then he's back on his feet in an instant and he pushes him right back and while he might not sit the other bloke on his arse (not yet anyway) the wicked smile on his face says it all.

Baz is top 5 on our list already and I will be disappointed if he isn't top 5 in the competition in a couple of years. Baz and The Bont will be destroying teams for years to come. Other clubs will come for him in the future and they will be offering a lot more than Hugh McCluggage.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

14. Likes dadsgirl16 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

TBH I'd prefer McCluggage to Cameron, and Baz to both.
    A genuine ball winner who can burst away from the stoppages is rare, especially when they can actually kick the damn thing.

I suspect Max King ends up the bet player form the draft with Baz a close second.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    TBH I'd prefer McCluggage to Cameron, and Baz to both.
    A genuine ball winner who can burst away from the stoppages is rare, especially when they can actually kick the damn thing.

I suspect Max King ends up the bet player form the draft with Baz a close second.
    Ben King is better than Max, IMO.

17. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I don't know, maybe. He was good against us in 2015, played a blinder in 2017 I think and was injured in Brisbane's second final last year. I think he goes alright.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.