Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  16
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are we lacking? What do we need most to progress in 2021?

Sorry if it's been said - Tim to improve his ruck craft. Fantastic he has blossomed around the ground play, however his ruck work is still a major flaw for us. Also think we need Lewis Young to blossom too, as I reckon we are a bit light on in backline for talls. God help us if Cordy or Keith go down seeing as Trenners is on the outer.

I reckon West & Weightman will help fill that small forward role soon and I'm still hoping Green gets another go and can remain off the injury list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Not only did I read that as Cordy I for some reason thought of Ayce
    Being as we are locked down I've been reading a heap of footy books.* Earlier this week at Highpoint I picked up a book about F/S players at different clubs through the years. There isn't one for each club but there is a bulldog combination. It's not the Whittens or the Liberatores or even the Wallaces

It's the Cordys. It is an interesting lens to tell the premiership story through though. Brian plays 144 (I think) games with one finals series, Ayce plays 27 games and no finals, Zaine's 13th game is a winning grand final.

*Seeing as you asked On The Take the story of the 1910 Carlton bribery scandal has been far and away the best so far.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

3. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I would play Naughton in defence, Schache forward and Young as someone who can play as more of a utility who can go forward or back or chop out in the ruck.

My ideal side is something like:

FB: Daniel Naughton Crozier
    HB: JJ Keath Cordy
    C: Richards Dunkley Hunter
    HF: West Schache Libba
    FF: Cavarra Bruce Wallis
    R: English Bont Macrae

And interchange from Weightman, Lipinski, McLean, Dale, Young, Butler, Vandermeer or Hayes with a focus on running ability
    I don't see how Cavarra gets a game ahead of any of the guys on the bench. Dale has him covered and he wouldn't make my bench with a fully fit team. I think you have to fit Wood into the team somehow.

My bench is Wood, Lipinski, McLean and Vandermeir.......Jong unlucky, Lou Young if one of the other guys falls over.

To answer the question posed by the OP, as to what we need to progress.....the team to get lucky with injuries. If we have this 27 players available come Sept (or whenever it is) then we will go deep into Sept.

Post Thanks / Like

An emerging tall defender who can run would bolster our defensive stocks

A midfielder who can switch between uncompromising defensive duties and attacking roles

A back-up ruckman/tall forward
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    An emerging tall defender who can run would bolster our defensive stocks
    It has been mentioned in this forum before and I agree Noah Balta would be a good fit.

A midfielder who can switch between uncompromising defensive duties and attacking roles
    Could that player be Toby McLean?

A back-up ruckman/tall forward
    Trengove? Does the arrival of Jamarra next year allow us to use Schache this way? I hope not.

I would like to see another genuine bullocking ruckman on the list
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    It has been mentioned in this forum before and I agree Noah Balta would be a good fit.

Could that player be Toby McLean?

Trengove? Does the arrival of Jamarra next year allow us to use Schache this way? I hope not.

I would like to see another genuine bullocking ruckman on the list
    I can't see us using Trengove much going forward and if that is the case we need to find someone capable of filling a couple of roles

Regarding Ugle-Hagan, he will arrive at our club without the benefit of a season of TAC footy behind him and I think we will need to be more patient with him throughout 2021 and perhaps 2022

McLean is an interesting proposition, I still rate his attacking abilities and I'm not convinced yet on his ability to shut out opponents week after week. We might know more about this later in the year if Bevo uses him that way

Re Balta, the fact that we seem to prefer KP players from other clubs might make him a target but I suspect Richmond will begin realise he's very much a required player. He hasn't done much from what I have seen
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Still think we could do with a quick, high pressure crumbing forward. Weightman seems more of an Elliott marking type, not sure Cavarra is good enough/has enough tricks.

Bruce and Naughton will rarely be outmarked but there's nobody who is a natural crumber. Dale/Schache/Dickson/Lloyd/Gowers are all better leading up at the footy and none of them are quick by mind in tight situations.

I know finding a Charlie Cameron isn't exactly an easy task, but surely finding a dangerous small forward is one of the easier things to do via the draft.

9. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just on Balta, just because you are big does not make you good. Know people that dealt with him in pathways programs and he was a man child but they wondered if there was any development left in him. Thought he knew it all and by all accounts thinks he is it and a bit, it's a solid no from me.

11. Thanks Twodogs, Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The same Balta that threw a tantrum after Naughton took his 9th contested mark on him? No thanks

He's obviously an outstanding athlete but seems to have a total lack of game sense or footballing nous. Don't see what makes him any better or different than Lewis Young, who we already have and can't get a game.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

13. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen enough of Balta to make an informed call but apparently played well yesterday, 20 possessions, 8 marks and 409 metres gained is impressive for a KPD - even against the rabble that is the Melbourne forward line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I haven't seen enough of Balta to make an informed call but apparently played well yesterday, 20 possessions, 8 marks and 409 metres gained is impressive for a KPD - even against the rabble that is the Melbourne forward line.
    Melbourne don't really have a big forward. I am with HD, a pass for me
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I don't at all agree with Naughton going to defence. It is so hard to find players with Naughton's attributes to take contested marks forward. And we've seen how important it is to have a big presence to compete in the forward line in big games against the big teams. The defensive set up is in pretty good shape at the minute, and my preference is to have talented players in the front half.

17. Likes GVGjr, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    The same Balta that threw a tantrum after Naughton took his 9th contested mark on him? No thanks

He's obviously an outstanding athlete but seems to have a total lack of game sense or footballing nous. Don't see what makes him any better or different than Lewis Young, who we already have and can't get a game.
    I agree. We already have an emerging tall - need patience and for him to take the opportunities that are presented

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Personally, I don't at all agree with Naughton going to defence. It is so hard to find players with Naughton's attributes to take contested marks forward. And we've seen how important it is to have a big presence to compete in the forward line in big games against the big teams. The defensive set up is in pretty good shape at the minute, and my preference is to have talented players in the front half.
    I have been advocating Naughton to play in defence, however, seeing how the backline functioned against albeit out of form or incompetent opposition on the weekend has possibly tempered that.

Let's see how our defence goes over the next few weeks, and again, how our forward line functions over the same time. Against decent opposition I fear things may be stretched a bit and it's also rare that we keep everyone on the park at the same time anyway so flexibility is important.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.