Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What are we lacking? What do we need most to progress in 2021?

What are we lacking to take the next step into being a credible contender?

The midfield group on paper looks strong with the likes of Bont, Smith, Macrae, Dunkley, Hunter, Libba etc. We could do with another genuine winger but it's rare to have all bases covered.

The forward group on paper has ability/structure with the likes of Naughton and Bruce as our two keys. We've got some mid sized types who are inconsistent but dangerous in Dale/Lloyd (Dickson soon to retire) and then some untried smalls (Cavarra and Weightman). We're just as likely to 'click' in a game and kick 20 goals as we are to be stifled and kick 5. The ability to lock down the opposition through pressure is a key ingredient missing - maybe Weightman is the small we need. You could argue we need another strong marking medium (Dale/Lloyd/Dickson/Schache are all leading forwards).

The defensive group on paper is an area of concern. Keath is a good pick-up but better suited to being the second tall/CHB, JT/Young are not seen as options at this point. Wood and Duryea can be important senior pillars but have injury concerns to get through a season, Crozier is probably our best defender, JJ is a threat but can be shut down. Williams has been a welcome addition and likely top 10 in our B&F to date.

Ruck stocks are thin as we know. English is great around the ground but struggles in the ruck, Sweet is raw and that's all we've got.

Most sides, as good as they are, will still have 'holes'. It's impossible to fill every hole .....

BUT, what do we need most to progress in 2021 and beyond?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are we lacking? What do we need most to progress in 2021?

Naughton into defence.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Naughton into defence.
    How would you juggle Young and Schache - do they fit into the side in any way?

Post Thanks / Like

A genuine wingman to partner with Hunter.

As an aside, Lake is the only KPP in the last 30 years to win the Norm Smith. I think we can cobble together a defence as we did in 16, but the team that out-runs the other team generally wins.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

6. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    How would you juggle Young and Schache - do they fit into the side in any way?
    I would play Naughton in defence, Schache forward and Young as someone who can play as more of a utility who can go forward or back or chop out in the ruck.

My ideal side is something like:

FB: Daniel Naughton Crozier
    HB: JJ Keath Cordy
    C: Richards Dunkley Hunter
    HF: West Schache Libba
    FF: Cavarra Bruce Wallis
    R: English Bont Macrae

And interchange from Weightman, Lipinski, McLean, Dale, Young, Butler, Vandermeer or Hayes with a focus on running ability
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I have said before that we lack midfield depth, even though everyone seems to (incorrectly) think we have depth in spades. Talented and deep midfields win premierships in the modern game, so I'd love to add some more elite talent to the mix. Bailey Smith had been a godsend for our midfield and I hope we can add another couple more high quality pieces of the puzzle.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I have said before that we lack midfield depth, even though everyone seems to (incorrectly) think we have depth in spades. Talented and deep midfield win premiership in the modern game, so I'd love to add to the mix with some.more wlite talent there. Bailey Smith had been a godsend for our midfield and I hope we can add another couple more high quality pieces of the puzzle.
    A fit Libba and a developing West will be a big factor in our success over the next few years.

Post Thanks / Like

I said it last year and I'll say it again

small/medium goal kicking forwards.

A ruckman

A bit of grunt
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

11. Likes westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A fit Libba and a developing West will be a big factor in our success over the next few years.
    Yep, really liked what I saw of West last week in and around the contest. He looked very comfortable and capable.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, really liked what I saw of West last week in and around the contest. He looked very comfortable and capable.
    Very good by hand. Dare I say it - West like.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

A ruckman

A bit of grunt
    What do you make of our current small/medium forwards Doc?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

A ruckman

A bit of grunt
    I’ll go with:

- a plan for the ruck when English is being smashed and the willingness to follow said plan.
    - some consistent grit and an ability to play a solid game when things aren’t going all our way.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I’ll go with:

- a plan for the ruck when English is being smashed and the willingness to follow said plan.
    - some consistent grit and an ability to play a solid game when things aren’t going all our way.
    MJP, do you think our personnel is good enough to challenge and it's a matter of tinkering as you've noted above, or is it a combination of both?

Post Thanks / Like

I have said before that we lack midfield depth, even though everyone seems to (incorrectly) think we have depth in spades. Talented and deep midfields win premierships in the modern game, so I'd love to add some more elite talent to the mix. Bailey Smith had been a godsend for our midfield and I hope we can add another couple more high quality pieces of the puzzle.
    I agree, mids win games and I think until the babies grow up a bit, I would love a Josh Kelly type. Someone with speed and outside run.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I would play Naughton in defence, Schache forward and Young as someone who can play as more of a utility who can go forward or back or chop out in the ruck.

My ideal side is something like:

FB: Daniel Naughton Crozier
    HB: JJ Keath Cordy
    C: Richards Dunkley Hunter
    HF: West Schache Libba
    FF: Cavarra Bruce Wallis
    R: English Bont Macrae

And interchange from Weightman, Lipinski, McLean, Dale, Young, Butler, Vandermeer or Hayes with a focus on running ability

Your ideal side does not contain Bailey Smith ??????