Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are we lacking? What do we need most to progress in 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by Twice Bitten View Post
    Your ideal side does not contain Bailey Smith ??????
    A Dusty / Danger protege!
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn, I knew I missed someone.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    You traded him
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I recon we need a hard as nails winger like a Mitch Robertson, then a hard as nails back flanker like a Luke Hodge (replace JJ).

I think with our list and the likes we are committed to in the upcoming draft. We just need two big bodies that can dish it out and do t take a backward step.

I think the recruiters have filled the holes and that gives time fir the pups to blossom so we are in good shape, I would think we could lose some depth players at years end like Wood and Trengrove
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

6. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    I recon we need a hard as nails winger like a Mitch Robertson, then a hard as nails back flanker like a Luke Hodge (replace JJ).

I think with our list and the likes we are committed to in the upcoming draft. We just need two big bodies that can dish it out and do t take a backward step.

I think the recruiters have filled the holes and that gives time fir the pups to blossom so we are in good shape, I would think we could lose some depth players at years end like Wood and Trengrove
    Talking about HBF, Williams is getting quite solid now and I would almost put him in the tough as nails class. As he matures he will get stronger.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Talking about HBF, Williams is getting quite solid now and I would almost put him in the tough as nails class. As he matures he will get stronger.
    Lol there's another one I missed.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol there's another one I missed.
    Just goes to show we run deep, if they keep these guys together over the 2 and 3 years we will be a Powerhouse
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m also in the minority about moving Naughton to defence. Other than the “odd game” he hasnt ’t shown any sort of consistancy with his marking or kicking ability. Yes he took “X” amount of marks and goals against Richmond. The MC obviously has an issue with Schache, and this alone will keep Naughton in the fwd line.

But yes, we need a tough, runner for the wing (Kelly would be fantastic), another strong ruckman, and 2 strong marking mid fwds who are dead eye dicks at the goals.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    What do you make of our current small/medium forwards Doc?
    It lacks star power.

I don't see a Cameron, Betts, Papley standard player or potential player on our list at present. We have good players but I doubt they would cause opposition coaches too many nightmares.

Here is the form of our small/medium forwards over the last 5 games incl the elimination final last year;

Bailey Dale: 2 goals

Sam Lloyd: 2 goals

Tory Dickson: 0 goals

Mitch Wallis: 3 goals

Rhylee West: 1 goal

Ben Cavarra: 1 goal

Laitham Vandermeer: 2 goals

Fergus Greene: 0 goals

Cory Weightman: 0 goals

Ed Richards: 3 goals

Pat Lipinski: 0 goals

Toby McLean: 1 goal

We have played some good teams in those 5 games but the output of our smaller forwards is disappointing to say the least. I acknowledge that some of these players are capable of higher production but consistency is an issue. We lack a bit of creativity up forward and don't really have any goal conjurors. I still think Dickson is our best but he is constantly injured and in all likelihood in his last season.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

13. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a bad miss...drop and give us 50
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

15. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Libba, Picken, M.Boyd( off HB), and Morris are the 4 players we have missed the most since the Premiership.

Whether its grunt, leadership, that Bulldog spirit it's hard to describe but they are just not easy to replace. You can tell the boys are walking a little taller with Libba back in( Got to love him and his father ).

Someone said it above and I never thought I'd say it, but a Mitch Robinson type agree would be handy for this group.

They are only young but I think West and Vandermeer have shown some signs recently that they might have some of these attributes which the group really needs. I actually think Jongy has it in spades also would love to see him get a decent run of luck. Naughty with his straight lines at Whitfield and even his attack on the footy when he injured himself against Sydney is another example.

Mitch Wallis could/should be in that group but for mine, he just gets too comfortable with where he is at I've always thought he thinks he is better than he is. A Mitch Wallis who plays on edge week to week is absolutely valuable I just hope he realizes what he needs to bring before its too late.

Caleb should be moved to the wing and replaced by La Young who I think could be even more effective than Wood with his disposal off half-back. He also adds that ability to come across and help out the key defenders like Williams and Crozier currently do.

Outside of that, I'd love to replace Loyd( is not the answer forward) with Papley ideally. I've never seen Cody play let's hope he is more rounded than Lloyd.

Oh and one more thing. Bevo needs to work out what his best side is, we can't be going into 2021 and start again searching for our best side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I’m also in the minority about moving Naughton to defence. Other than the “odd game” he hasnt ’t shown any sort of consistancy with his marking or kicking ability. Yes he took “X” amount of marks and goals against Richmond. The MC obviously has an issue with Schache, and this alone will keep Naughton in the fwd line.

But yes, we need a tough, runner for the wing (Kelly would be fantastic), another strong ruckman, and 2 strong marking mid fwds who are dead eye dicks at the goals.
    I thought he was the spark as a forward in the first 15 minutes against the Swans.

On Mitch he's all set up as an enforcer, the genes, the guns, the wild eyes and hair but (while he's fearless), he unfortunately doesn't have the killer instinct his Dad did.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I would play Naughton in defence, Schache forward and Young as someone who can play as more of a utility who can go forward or back or chop out in the ruck.

My ideal side is something like:

FB: Daniel Naughton Crozier
    HB: JJ Keath Cordy
    C: Richards Dunkley Hunter
    HF: West Schache Libba
    FF: Cavarra Bruce Wallis
    R: English Bont Macrae

And interchange from Weightman, Lipinski, McLean, Dale, Young, Butler, Vandermeer or Hayes with a focus on running ability
    Smith, Wood and Williams all say hi! However, whilst you have omitted Smith and Williams by accident I doubt this is the case with Wood and it's my view that's a touch premature, however I'm also on record as saying I want Naughton in defence so perhaps with him there the importance of Wood diminishes.

To the OP, I actually think we have enough quality to match it with anyone if everyone is fit. To Sedat's point we're probably a little lean in the midfield if anywhere, though I think with Baz's improvement to date, the reintroduction of Libba and McLean playing good footy we have cover. Add in West and we have pretty solid rotations with even Wallis an occasional back up.

Getting the combinations of complementary players and the chemistry right is a big factor, as is what's going on between the ears of the players week to week.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

19. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cody Weightman at his full potential.
    Last edited by BornInDroopSt'54; 06-07-2020 at 06:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Cody at his full potential.
    Not only did I read that as Cordy I for some reason thought of Ayce

22. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post