Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Revealed: These 7 Vic clubs are already exposed by COVID outbreak – but all 10 may be forced interstate

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/coup...ad64ed3ce195e5

Revealed: These 7 Vic clubs are already exposed by COVID outbreak – but all 10 may be forced interstate
    July 01, 2020 3:27pm
    Tom Morris
    FOX SPORTS

St Kilda, Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Richmond, North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs all have at least one coach or player who will need to move homes by midnight on Wednesday.

Foxfooty.com.au understands the three clubs not impacted are Geelong, Melbourne and Hawthorn.

At lunchtime on Wednesday, clubs were told players living in Melbourne’s COVID-19 hotspots would need to relocate to be eligible to play games in New South Wales.

Kayo is your ticket to the 2020 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Watch every match of every round Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly

The ruling left clubs, players and coaches scrambling for options amid widespread uncertainty. It‘s understood at least two Victorian clubs conducted an emergency meeting with players early in the afternoon. Approximately 50 players and staff who are currently in the bubble are said to be impacted by the decision that blindsided clubs.

Even though clubs have not been officially told they will enter a hub in Sydney, the AFL made it clear it requires maximum flexibility for fixtures from Round 6 onwards.

For the Western Bulldogs – who have already played both Sydney teams – it means some players still need to move homes immediately in the unlikely event the club gets sent to New South Wales next week.

The league has offered to put players up in hotels as a temporary option.

Health officials in NSW made it clear that any Victorian coming into the state from a COVID-19 hotspot would face an $11,000 fine and as many as six months in prison.

It’s understood the 10 Victorian clubs are expecting to move interstate next week, though they are yet to be told officially.

St Kilda expects to be relocated to Sydney, while the Dogs are more likely to be sent to Perth, Adelaide or Queensland.

The benefit of Sydney and Queensland as hubs is because the two states have multiple AFL standard venues, whereas Perth and Adelaide have just one.

One AFL approved stadium is fine for four teams in a hub, but a hub with six or more clubs would likely require two stadiums.

Each player and coach who moves accommodation before midnight on Wednesday will need to have their new accommodation assessed by a club Covid officer or the club doctor.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Revealed: These 7 Vic clubs are already exposed by COVID outbreak – but all 10 may be forced interstate

Interesting. Is NT completely off the table? They have the least restrictions in the country.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

3. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Revealed: These 7 Vic clubs are already exposed by COVID outbreak – but all 10 may be forced interstate

Doesn't make alot of sense. Having already played GWS and Sydney we are not going to Sydney.

Also strange that SA, WA and Queensland will allow players from these hotspots when they have more stringent rules than NSW?

Post Thanks / Like

Libba lives in Brunswick West.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Doesn't make alot of sense. Having already played GWS and Sydney we are not going to Sydney.

Also strange that SA, WA and Queensland will allow players from these hotspots when they have more stringent rules than NSW?
    Based in Sydney we can play the QLD teams, plus any others flying in and out or based there.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Sydney is important for two reasons:
    - can play interstate teams
    - can play in SA or Qld after two weeks in NSW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Not anymore.

But then again the entire club is 250m from a COVID boundary so maybe it'll all be moot soon anyway.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

9. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Not for a while now. Is somewhere inner west now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Interesting. Is NT completely off the table? They have the least restrictions in the country.
    I hope NT is seriously considered as a base for some of the Vic teams. There will be less restrictions and more normality there than any other proposed hub location.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Ok explains why I haven't seen him on Sydney Road buying dim sims for ages.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I hope NT is seriously considered as a base for some of the Vic teams. There will be less restrictions and more normality there than any other proposed hub location.
    Crazy, the heat up there is not easy to get use to, even if it is the dry season you are still looking at 22, 23 at night and daytime will be average around 28 to 33 when they are training.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Crazy, the heat up there is not easy to get use to, even if it is the dry season you are still looking at 22, 23 at night and daytime will be average around 28 to 33 when they are training.
    They will be able to freely mingle wth society up there and not be stuck in their resorts the whole time. They will also be able to play to capacity crowds in both Darwin and Alice Springs. From a holistic level, it would also be wonderful for the AFL to give something tangible and enriching back to the indigenous communities up there over the course of multiple weeks - they would be able to conduct a lot more mid week footy clinics and also other initiatives to assist the indigenous communities away from training and match days.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

15. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    They will be able to freely mingle wth society up there and not be stuck in their resorts the whole time. They will also be able to play to capacity crowds in both Darwin and Alice Springs. From a holistic level, it would also be wonderful for the AFL to give something tangible and enriching back to the indigenous communities up there over the course of multiple weeks - they would be able to conduct a lot more mid week footy clinics and also other initiatives to assist the indigenous communities away from training and match days.
    Can't argue with that but playing and training in the heat is not ideal. I wouldn't like to see our boys doing that, it will take alot out of them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Can't argue with that but playing and training in the heat is not ideal. I wouldn't like to see our boys doing that, it will take alot out of them

I'm admittedly a dumbass idiot but I honestly believe that those games we played in Darwin between 2008-2010 played a part in costing us premierships in those years.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Not for a while now. Is somewhere inner west now.
    Kingsville I believe.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"