Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  76
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: High praise for Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    All this because of a disagreement over a calf injury...

Hunter to play Crows, trade speculation 'made up': Beveridge

Lachie Hunter will return to the Western Bulldogs' side for Sunday's match against Adelaide, with coach Luke Beveridge saying the former vice-captain won't be leaving in 2021 despite reports linking him with the Brisbane Lions.

Footy Classified reported earlier this week that the Lions were interested in Hunter, and that the player's relationship with his club was currently strained.

Beveridge said on Friday morning that the report was "a made-up story".

"I don't know where it's come from. It has either come from his management or [Footy Classified] ... I am sure Lachie is not shopping himself around," Beveridge said.

"It's a non-issue, he is contracted ... he is happy, content and he has no desire to leave our footy club.

"Lachie is red, white and blue through and through."

In April Hunter was suspended for four weeks for allegedly breaching the AFL's coronavirus lock down rules. He returned for two games and has then missed the last four due to personal reasons.

Beveridge said Hunter was initially told he would be selected before the last game but he was then withdrawn from the team with a calf problem. However, he did play in a scratch match.

"We had Lachie lined up to play but he had a little bit of an issue with a calf during training," the 2016 premiership coach said.

"As it turned out he felt pretty good post-session so as part of his journey to get back we played him in the scratch match anyway but we didn't want to take that risk after he'd been out for so long into a [senior] game."

Beveridge also confirmed 2016 Norm Smith Medal winner Jason Johannisen (ankle) would miss after a mishap at training.

The coach said his club's current focus was not on making finals, it was simply to improve their consistency over four quarters which has been missing all season.

"We haven't been able to establish that [consistency] yet," he said. "Sunday is another opportunity to go to work on that, concentrate on it.

"The Crows are improving, they have challenged teams in recent times.

"We understand we are playing a team that is desperate for its first victory and if we are off we are vulnerable.

"What we haven't controlled well enough is our output and our energy for the whole game often enough. We will be aware of the background noise that the Crows are creeping up on their first victory.

"We've just got to make sure it doesn't happen."
    That's an interesting thing to say.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Football managers are in it for themselves. Pretty sure Bevo doesn't have one and despises the leeches.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I imagine the club are still pissed off at Connors for the role he played in the drink driving incident.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the statements don't really put the speculation to bed for me at all at this point in time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Yeah, the statements don't really put the speculation to bed for me at all at this point in time.
    He is in the team. Many were criticising Bevo yesterday and talking about the perceived grudge being held.

Now that he is selected we still aren't satisfied?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I imagine the club are still pissed off at Connors for the role he played in the drink driving incident.
    I don't know what happened, but I am speculating Connors told him to go to Gowers place. Pretty sure the club wouldn't say that.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    He is in the team. Many were criticising Bevo yesterday and talking about the perceived grudge being held.

Now that he is selected we still aren't satisfied?
    I'm satisfied that he is in the team.
    But just because Bevo says that Lachie isn't going to Brisbane, or shopping himself around, doesn't mean that it has been put to bed 100%. I doubt this is the last we hear of the speculation - is what I'm suggesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I'm satisfied that he is in the team.
    But just because Bevo says that Lachie isn't going to Brisbane, or shopping himself around, doesn't mean that it has been put to bed 100%. I doubt this is the last we hear of the speculation - is what I'm suggesting.
    Agree on both counts. Doesn’t squash the rumour for me. Him being named is great - but also expected at this point if he is fit and available.

Regardless of subtext, I’m glad that was the narrative at the press conference.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is Bevo's actual press conference.

Around the 2.30 mark he talks about Lachie's injury and around the 6 min mark Beveridge is asked directly (asked extremely poorly by the journo) on the trade rumor.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/v...=1597375929001
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

Around the 2.30 mark he talks about Lachie's injury and around the 6 min mark Beveridge is asked directly (asked extremely poorly by the journo) on the trade rumor.

I want to be at that caravan park! Deck chair out the front, couple of beers, watch the boys train....heaven.

11. Likes azabob, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

For me its convincing. A mountain out of a mole hill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I want to be at that caravan park! Deck chair out the front, couple of beers, watch the boys train....heaven.
    Amen! I’ll bring the chips and a bottle - could sit there all day.

14. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    For me its convincing. A mountain out of a mole hill
    Hunter's reaction today said enough I think. Unless there was a bit of Brad Hardie in it, which I doubt.

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Hunter's reaction today said enough I think. Unless there was a bit of Brad Hardie in it, which I doubt.
    Nah, he would have taken it off and waved it at the coach's box

After the game he said he was letting everyone know how much the club means to him.

Stick that up your jumper Media

Post Thanks / Like

His work rate is second to none
    Highlighted in the call

19. Likes Eastdog liked this post