Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  76
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: High praise for Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I think I may not have quite gotten across that my comment on Dahlhaus was pretty light hearted.

Was merely saying that Dahlhaus used to beat his chest and grab his jumper whenever he kicked a goal for us, and then as soon as he got to Geelong started doing the same thing.
    No worries, thanks
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

But seeing as it has been discussed a bit....Dahlhaus spoke a few times about his love for the club and how we gave him a chance and how he'd do whatever he could to repay the faith. And he and many other players and coaches have spoken like that over the years.
    The reality is that the AFL business can be pretty fickle, and attitudes and can swing pretty abruptly with wins, losses, selection and form - and clubs, players and coaches all craft their message pretty carefully to protect themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    But seeing as it has been discussed a bit....Dahlhaus spoke a few times about his love for the club and how we gave him a chance and how he'd do whatever he could to repay the faith. And he and many other players and coaches have spoken like that over the years.
    The reality is that the AFL business can be pretty fickle, and attitudes and can swing pretty abruptly with wins, losses, selection and form - and clubs, players and coaches all craft their message pretty carefully to protect themselves.
    Without knowing what's really happening behind the scenes, I'm glad that Lachie is talking up his love for the club and Bevo is also publicly affirming his importance to the side. Much different to the Stringer approach.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Likes Ozza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dahlhaus didn’t get near it after 2016
    Good move for both parties .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Dahlhaus didn’t get near it after 2016
    Good move for both parties .
    My hazy recollections are Dahl got a reasonable amount of ball but butchered it more than normal. Agree it was time to part ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Caroline Wilson is wrong far more than she is right. Without a doubt.

Post Thanks / Like

The wing kings: Check out the top 12 based on 'pure' numbers

IT IS one of the game's most important roles, but who are the best at it?

The wingman is each club's connector: the hard-running, usually skilful, vital member of the midfield who can be a defensive cog as well as an attacking force.

But it is often a job neglected in the Virgin Australia AFL All Australian team, with inside-the-centre midfielders usually pushed out to a wing role when the best 22 is selected every season.

Last year's All-Australian wingmen, Western Bulldogs' Marcus Bontempelli and Geelong's Tim Kelly, spent 1.2 per cent and 9.7 per cent of their respective seasons playing as wingmen.

But if this year's team included pure wingmen, who would get the spots?

Champion Data has scoured the competition to find 12 of the AFL's best wingmen – some established, some emerging and some who do their work across the ground – to assess who would have claims on an All-Australian spot.

Lachie Hunter (Western Bulldogs)
    In fewer matches than other contenders the premiership Bulldog continues to show his class. Spending 75 per cent of his game time on the wing, Hunter is perhaps the competition's best. He leads the group for disposals, and is ranked elite in uncontested possessions, metres gained, score involvements, disposals and AFL Player Ratings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The wing kings: Check out the top 12 based on 'pure' numbers

Lachie Hunter (Western Bulldogs)
    In fewer matches than other contenders the premiership Bulldog continues to show his class. Spending 75 per cent of his game time on the wing, Hunter is perhaps the competition's best. He leads the group for disposals, and is ranked elite in uncontested possessions, metres gained, score involvements, disposals and AFL Player Ratings.
    Pre mid 2019 I under appreciated and underrated Lachie Hunter.

His onfield leadership, football IQ and gut running is few and far between in our team.

I think it is fair to say he is potentially in our top five most important players.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Pre mid 2019 I under appreciated and underrated Lachie Hunter.

His onfield leadership, football IQ and gut running is few and far between in our team.

I think it is fair to say he is potentially in our top five most important players.
    Thanks for agreeing with me

I have said it a few times he is elite and an important player for us.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes azabob, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

His a vital cog but he can also frustrate at times.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Never really understood why Hunter hasn’t been as highly rated as he should be by Bulldogs supporters. If there is a player we don’t want to lose I would argue he is probably number 1 in terms of importance. Huge in all 3 phases of the game and a critical on field leader, incredible football IQ and constantly organising on field.

15. Likes azabob, SquirrelGrip, Mofra, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Never really understood why Hunter hasn’t been as highly rated as he should be by Bulldogs supporters. If there is a player we don’t want to lose I would argue he is probably number 1 in terms of importance. Huge in all 3 phases of the game and a critical on field leader, incredible football IQ and constantly organising on field.
    Yeah I'm pretty big on him. I guess it's his dinky kicking style making him look almost lazy when he gets rid of it, especially when he doesn't hit the target, which is funny because his work rate is actually phenomenal.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Yeah I'm pretty big on him. I guess it's his dinky kicking style making him look almost lazy when he gets rid of it, especially when he doesn't hit the target, which is funny because his work rate is actually phenomenal.
    That’s a perception, he is often linking up and then looking ahead to see an out number. Very clever kick with ability to weight the ball or kick with different trajectory based on what’s ahead of him. Often has to hold the ball and wait for options to present etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a better appreciation of him seeing what we missed when he was not playing and how much he has contributed since his return. Along with Naughts, Bont , Daniel, Keath & Macrae (and x fingers we can add Tim soon) amongst our most important 6 players.

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs star Lachie Hunter’s fiancee posts heartbreaking Instagram message

The fiancee of AFL star Lachie Hunter has gone public with her emotional decision to walk away from treatment after heartbreaking news.

Western Bulldogs star Lachie Hunter’s fiancee Maddison Sullivan-Thorpe has revealed her heartbreaking battle with IVF in an emotional Instagram post.

The couple, who celebrated their engagement last year, have announced their decision to walk away from parenthood after enduring five failed rounds of the in vitro fertilisation process.

Sullivan-Thorpe made the news public over the weekend where she revealed she has had 149 injections administered over the two-year journey of their attempts to fall pregnant.

Despite giving up for now, the post also makes it clear the couple haven’t given up hope of becoming parents one day.

“Man this has sucked, sucked so much of my time, energy and emotional capability,” Sullivan-Thorpe wrote on Instagram.

“It’s made me face my two greatest fears, constantly feeling weak and helplessly out of control.

“But man it’s made me tough and emotionally I know now nothing can break me.

“Motherhood sounds so f***ing magical, I’m sure it is every bit as lovely and brilliant as everyone describes.

“But... I’ve also met and spoken with some pretty happy, loved up women who for a variety of reasons have not had children; and you know what they seem to have found some pretty darn special magic in their lives too.

“2 years since all this began and I am finally at peace with whatever the future holds for me.

“Kids don’t equal happiness and it’s so damn comforting for people like me, crippled by uncertainty to know that.

“To my people thank you for always being patient, understanding, empathetic and equally for snapping me out of it when I was being a straight up sook!

“Lastly to Dr Rachael Knight without whom I would have most certainly given up — thank you for your continual guidance and transparency, but most of all thank you for always ALWAYS being gentle, empathetic and understanding.

“Time to put down the needles and start living my best life.”

Sullivan-Thorpe and Hunter have already received supporting messages from former AFL WAG and Instagram influencer Abbie Gilmore — as well as Hunter’s teammates Mitch Wallis and Josh Bruce.

The couple also revealed their conception battles last year when Sullivan-Thorpe posted a photo of her during her third round of IVF treatment.

“It’s not been easy to share, most times it’s felt uncomfortable and very ‘me me me’, but I wanted to fight the shame and resentment I (and many others) feel towards their bodies,” she wrote on Instagram.

“IVF isn’t embarrassing, not every baby comes from the birds and the bees textbook, and while it feels heartbreaking and unfair, it’s life.

“I don’t know how this round will go, but I do know that whatever path we land on I have an incredible little tribe around me.

“To the women and men who walk this path, I feel so deeply for you — it’s one hell of a fight, physically, emotionally and financially. But remember we are only given what we can handle.”

It comes after Hunter was this year embroiled in a police matter where he was fined for breaching public health orders after he allegedly drove a vehicle into several parked cars on a suburban street.

He was sentenced to a $1000 fine and a 12-month licence disqualification without a conviction recorded. He was also hit with a $5000 fine by the Western Bulldogs and received a four-game suspension.

It was reportedly revealed at the time a row with Sullivan-Thorpe was the trigger behind Hunter’s incident.

The Herald Sun reported Hunter and his childhood sweetheart were involved in a big fight. According to friends quoted by the newspaper, Hunter then left to seek an escape from the dispute and was travelling to teammate Billy Gowers’ house when he allegedly crashed a Toyota SUV into parked cars in the suburb of Middle Park.

The Herald Sun reports the argument with Sullivan-Thorpe “rocked” Hunter and left him in an out-of-sorts headspace.