Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  57
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: High praise for Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I think I may not have quite gotten across that my comment on Dahlhaus was pretty light hearted.

Was merely saying that Dahlhaus used to beat his chest and grab his jumper whenever he kicked a goal for us, and then as soon as he got to Geelong started doing the same thing.
    No worries, thanks
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

But seeing as it has been discussed a bit....Dahlhaus spoke a few times about his love for the club and how we gave him a chance and how he'd do whatever he could to repay the faith. And he and many other players and coaches have spoken like that over the years.
    The reality is that the AFL business can be pretty fickle, and attitudes and can swing pretty abruptly with wins, losses, selection and form - and clubs, players and coaches all craft their message pretty carefully to protect themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    But seeing as it has been discussed a bit....Dahlhaus spoke a few times about his love for the club and how we gave him a chance and how he'd do whatever he could to repay the faith. And he and many other players and coaches have spoken like that over the years.
    The reality is that the AFL business can be pretty fickle, and attitudes and can swing pretty abruptly with wins, losses, selection and form - and clubs, players and coaches all craft their message pretty carefully to protect themselves.
    Without knowing what's really happening behind the scenes, I'm glad that Lachie is talking up his love for the club and Bevo is also publicly affirming his importance to the side. Much different to the Stringer approach.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Likes Ozza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dahlhaus didn’t get near it after 2016
    Good move for both parties .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Dahlhaus didn’t get near it after 2016
    Good move for both parties .
    My hazy recollections are Dahl got a reasonable amount of ball but butchered it more than normal. Agree it was time to part ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Caroline Wilson is wrong far more than she is right. Without a doubt.

Post Thanks / Like

The wing kings: Check out the top 12 based on 'pure' numbers

IT IS one of the game's most important roles, but who are the best at it?

The wingman is each club's connector: the hard-running, usually skilful, vital member of the midfield who can be a defensive cog as well as an attacking force.

But it is often a job neglected in the Virgin Australia AFL All Australian team, with inside-the-centre midfielders usually pushed out to a wing role when the best 22 is selected every season.

Last year's All-Australian wingmen, Western Bulldogs' Marcus Bontempelli and Geelong's Tim Kelly, spent 1.2 per cent and 9.7 per cent of their respective seasons playing as wingmen.

But if this year's team included pure wingmen, who would get the spots?

Champion Data has scoured the competition to find 12 of the AFL's best wingmen – some established, some emerging and some who do their work across the ground – to assess who would have claims on an All-Australian spot.

Lachie Hunter (Western Bulldogs)
    In fewer matches than other contenders the premiership Bulldog continues to show his class. Spending 75 per cent of his game time on the wing, Hunter is perhaps the competition's best. He leads the group for disposals, and is ranked elite in uncontested possessions, metres gained, score involvements, disposals and AFL Player Ratings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The wing kings: Check out the top 12 based on 'pure' numbers

Lachie Hunter (Western Bulldogs)
    In fewer matches than other contenders the premiership Bulldog continues to show his class. Spending 75 per cent of his game time on the wing, Hunter is perhaps the competition's best. He leads the group for disposals, and is ranked elite in uncontested possessions, metres gained, score involvements, disposals and AFL Player Ratings.
    Pre mid 2019 I under appreciated and underrated Lachie Hunter.

His onfield leadership, football IQ and gut running is few and far between in our team.

I think it is fair to say he is potentially in our top five most important players.
    #BeMoreBulldog

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Pre mid 2019 I under appreciated and underrated Lachie Hunter.

His onfield leadership, football IQ and gut running is few and far between in our team.

I think it is fair to say he is potentially in our top five most important players.
    Thanks for agreeing with me

I have said it a few times he is elite and an important player for us.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes azabob, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

His a vital cog but he can also frustrate at times.
    There are plenty of talented people in the world. As you already know, talent is not enough. Some of the athletes with the most potential never pan out. What separates the good from the great is determination and work ethic.

Post Thanks / Like

Never really understood why Hunter hasn’t been as highly rated as he should be by Bulldogs supporters. If there is a player we don’t want to lose I would argue he is probably number 1 in terms of importance. Huge in all 3 phases of the game and a critical on field leader, incredible football IQ and constantly organising on field.

15. Likes azabob, SquirrelGrip, Mofra, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Never really understood why Hunter hasn’t been as highly rated as he should be by Bulldogs supporters. If there is a player we don’t want to lose I would argue he is probably number 1 in terms of importance. Huge in all 3 phases of the game and a critical on field leader, incredible football IQ and constantly organising on field.
    Yeah I'm pretty big on him. I guess it's his dinky kicking style making him look almost lazy when he gets rid of it, especially when he doesn't hit the target, which is funny because his work rate is actually phenomenal.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Yeah I'm pretty big on him. I guess it's his dinky kicking style making him look almost lazy when he gets rid of it, especially when he doesn't hit the target, which is funny because his work rate is actually phenomenal.
    That’s a perception, he is often linking up and then looking ahead to see an out number. Very clever kick with ability to weight the ball or kick with different trajectory based on what’s ahead of him. Often has to hold the ball and wait for options to present etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a better appreciation of him seeing what we missed when he was not playing and how much he has contributed since his return. Along with Naughts, Bont , Daniel, Keath & Macrae (and x fingers we can add Tim soon) amongst our most important 6 players.