Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  39
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: So, we are off to the GC hub

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Everyone's circumstances are different of course but you'd imagine most footy WAGs are set up to handle it better than most.
    Fair enough I'm being selfish. I want another flag.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Josh Bruce is going because family can go too. As far as he is aware all the players are going now that partners and kids and all the bald headed little babies can go too. Josh said it made better sense for his partner to be up there in the sun with all the support of the other mums and dads than down here on her own with her support network stuck in Canberra. Well not exactly that but pretty much.

I would think that even if he stayed in Melbourne with the grandparents in Canberra it would be a tough gig just for the two of them. When we had our kids our great West Footscray neighbours rallied around and made us meals and mowed lawns and stuff even though our parents were driving distance away. We've done the same. If you are cooking for a family it's easy enough to make two or three more servings and drop them off. Although I don't know how that would work right now.

That saying that it takes a village to raise a child is spot on in so many ways.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Let's not forget that all AFL players in Victoria have been locked down in their own houses for the past few months. The opportunity to go to Queensland, where they can actually get out and spend time together (after the initial quarantine), can't be understated for their mental health.

As for taking families, I can't believe that people are questioning it. I applaud all of the players in the comp who took a stand and said they wouldn't travel without their families. I think that is actually an easy decision.

beyondthevalleyofthedog Guest

Every chance the whole of Melbourne will be in lockdown within a couple of weeks so I'd be getting all those who want to go up there asap

5. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will our players that have injuries where they might be missing for 4 weeks or more be better served by doing their rehab at the club or going to the GC hub along with their team mates?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Will our players that have injuries where they might be missing for 4 weeks or more be better served by doing their rehab at the club or going to the GC hub along with their team mates?
    I get the point you are making, but I would prefer they all go as we need our medical staff in the hub.

With a team environment I think it is better to be inclusive, rather than find reasons to leave someone out.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

8. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Definitely in the hub with access to our medical team. One in, all in.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

For the first time in over 100yrs NSW will close its border with Victoria from midnight tuesday. Vic teams better get out today! We have become isolated whether we like it or not

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    For the first time in over 100yrs NSW will close its border with Victoria from midnight tuesday. Vic teams better get out today! We have become isolated whether we like it or not
    I believe we are flying up today.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

All teams have flown out of Victoria.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    All teams have flown out of Victoria.
    Not yet, pretty sure we are leaving around 1:00pm-1:30pm this afternoon with Richmond.

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge is driving optimism and a “sense of adventure” around his club’s trip to Gold Coast.

Every Bulldog will attend and Beveridge encouraged all “six or seven” players with young families to take their loved ones as the club embraces the hub set up as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

They fly north at 1pm on Monday, sharing a flight with Richmond.

“That’ll be great to have the girls along and have the toddlers and the infants and a couple more that are a little bit more grown up,” Beveridge said.

“You blink and they’ve changed. You pick them up in the morning and they look different, and you wouldn’t deny that (bringing family) of any young man.”

Premiership captain Easton Wood is taking pregnant wife Tiffany and daughter Matilda while forward Mitch Wallis is bringing wife Emily and newborn daughter Charlotte.

Spearhead Josh Bruce’s pregnant wife Pip and daughter Poppy will also be on the plane while utility Jackson Trengove’s partner Stephanie and their kids Sopgia, Isaiah and Zalia are also likely to attend.

Norm Smith Medallist Jason Johannisen and Tom Liberatore had children in the off-season with Johannisen’s partner Logan having baby girl Lola and Liberatore’s partner Malia giving birth to their son Oscar.

Bruce was relieved the AFL approved his request because the couple has no family in Victoria and potential border closures could’ve left his Canberrian wife stuck here.

The AFL is footing the bill for all travel, meals and accommodation costs in the knowledge that the mega expense will be a lot cheaper than failing to get games played.

Bruce said golf clubs and surfboards would be driven up after about 12 days so players weren’t tempted to break quarantine rules.

Link

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Not yet, pretty sure we are leaving around 1:00pm-1:30pm this afternoon with Richmond.
    I read somewhere that all teams had flown out but of course looks like that is wrong.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I read somewhere that all teams had flown out but of course looks like that is wrong.
    From what I've read, we're flying out within the next two hours.
    All players, as well as a ton of wives and kids, complete re-location of the club to QLD
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a good approach and all the players should be up there feeling supported by the club. No chance of performing poorly and using the hub/being away from family as an excuse.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.