Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  39
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: So, we are off to the GC hub

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yep, it only takes a few injuries and then you'll run into complications of getting replacements in from Victoria. Just bring the entire playing group and rotate the players as needed.
    Plus imagine being told there is no foreseeable circumstance in which you would be required for the next five games. Telling that to guys like Lynch and Trengove is essentially telling them to clean out their lockers. Would be awful for morale.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Of course we have to take our full compliment. Many, many reasons:
    - restricted coaches meaning training would be heavily compromised
    - scratch matches
    - injuries
    - morale

Post Thanks / Like

Surely we take the full list.

Anything else is just not acceptable.

We should also be taking family where we can, to normalise life for them as much as possible.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Surely we take the full list.

Anything else is just not acceptable.

We should also be taking family where we can, to normalise life for them as much as possible.
    Didn't Port take 32 players?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I might be mistaken but I thought I heard recently Port took all their players.

Beveridge mentioned in yesterdays press conference he wants to take all our players as it will be a great opportunity to bond, but obviously depends if everyone wants to go.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I might be mistaken but I thought I heard recently Port took all their players.

Beveridge mentioned in yesterdays press conference he wants to take all our players as it will be a great opportunity to bond, but obviously depends if everyone wants to go.
    I'm sure I heard Plough say they took 32, I might be wrong though

Port unlikely to take full squad to GC hub

Port Adelaide football manager Chris Davies says the Power are unlikely to take their full squad to the AFL's Gold Coast hub.

The two South Australian teams will resume their season with a Showdown in Adelaide next Saturday before heading to the Gold Coast, with the Power playing Fremantle, West Coast and Brisbane in Queensland.

It had been expected teams would relocate their full football operations to the hubs but Davies said the Power were "leaning towards" leaving some players back in Adelaide.

"We're probably leaning at the moment towards not taking the entire squad," Davies told ABC Grandstand radio.

"Certainly, there are pros and cons to that. Obviously splitting up the group is one of the most obvious things that we're mindful of.

"But at the same time, we've probably got a group of players who are either ... injured or a couple who would have been developing in the SANFL.

"But we might have a chance to put two and a half really good weeks of development on a different program (into those players) than maybe what the AFL team or squad would actually be (going) through.

"So that's one (pro), obviously having a squad up in Queensland who are totally focused on winning at AFL level is probably another one of the pros as well.

"We'll make final decisions on that over the next couple of days but I think probably right now I'd say that we're leaning towards not taking the whole squad."

Davies was confident the Power could keep those players left in Adelaide hungry and match fit while the rest of the squad was on the Gold Coast.

"We'll play against Adelaide most likely in a match simulation type session next week in the lead up the AFL teams (playing) at Adelaide Oval," Davies said.

"Then, look, we're confident in our high performance team to put together a program that will make sure that those guys are match fit.

"Obviously if we're only up there for two weeks then that would mean the guys have realistically only missed a couple of weeks of whatever footy they would be able to play anyway.

"I think most clubs are contemplating not playing a trial game every week anyway so you know it will be more about the way that the borders open up.

"We'll make sure that the rest of the squad are ready and raring to go if that time comes."
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

They did, and they are the poster boy for how to handle hub life thus far in 2020. I'm surprised other clubs haven't followed their lead and taken reduced lists.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Oh damn Bruce isn’t going?
    Not confirmed at this stage.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Port's situation is (as I see it) completely different.

They were only ever going for 4 weeks, but also likely to be able to call on any player still in Adelaide immediately.

Victorian clubs need to be prepared to be out of Melbourne for the rest of the season. Additionally there is no opportunity to call on anyone left behind as there will still be a 2 week mandatory isolation for anyone that was needed to be added.

It just doesn't work without taking everyone they can.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

10. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Port's situation is (as I see it) completely different.

They were only ever going for 4 weeks, but also likely to be able to call on any player still in Adelaide immediately.

Victorian clubs need to be prepared to be out of Melbourne for the rest of the season. Additionally there is no opportunity to call on anyone left behind as there will still be a 2 week mandatory isolation for anyone that was needed to be added.

It just doesn't work without taking everyone they can.
    Yep. We have to assume that this will be the only opportunity we will have to get our players out of (or into) Victoria and therefore the plan has to be to take the whole list. Maybe even the LTI guys because if the medical team travels with the playing squad then it makes sense for them to go too.

I'd be leaning to more players, not less.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo mentioned that maybe some fathers won't make the trip as we have seven fathers. Personally I find it amazing that they can't rely on the club and family to help out with laundry, companionship, cooking whatever for the six or whatever weeks. Women used to give birth and be back in the fields that afternoon. With video links etc I would have thought there is no need to withhold your services unless there are complicating circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll be going to as many of the matches as possible.

Bit of a silver lining in all this mess, for us Brisbane based fans!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Bevo mentioned that maybe some fathers won't make the trip as we have seven fathers. Personally I find it amazing that they can't rely on the club and family to help out with laundry, companionship, cooking whatever for the six or whatever weeks. Women used to give birth and be back in the fields that afternoon. With video links etc I would have thought there is no need to withhold your services unless there are complicating circumstances.
    Really? I would have thought being with your family would be the first consideration in all this. if I was in their situation I would certainly know where priorities would be.

Post Thanks / Like

Not going interstate cause you're a new Father is a bollocks excuse.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Really? I would have thought being with your family would be the first consideration in all this. if I was in their situation I would certainly know where priorities would be.
    But what about the crops?

17. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post