Likes Likes:  37
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you have learned-round 5 v the Northerners 2020

Love having confidence in a defender and Keath is that for us

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Easton Wood is reborn without carrying an unreasonable load.

Schache needs to play.

Alex Keath looks like a perennially pissed off high school PE teacher.
    I literally have no idea how someone could as comprehensively nail something that I didn't but definitely knew all at once and bring it to my attention. Well done.

1. With McLean playing defencively and Libba chipping in we may not look as smooth moving in the middle but we are very competitive with Bont down and Dunkley out.

2. If Easton Wood said last year he's been playing taller in recent years and with that effectively being confirmed by the coach throughout the game, perhaps some of the negativity towards him has been unwarranted, on that performance at least.

3. West is a very very stylish footballer. Not in the classic sense, but whilst his hardness is obvious he has very good tricks.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

3. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Bruce is a gun at AFL and also a cool guy in great shape who I would love to hang out with

2. Ben Brown is useless when the game isn’t totally on his terms LOLJK I ALREADY KNEW THAT (if I’m eating it about the one I got wrong I get to brag about the one I got right those are the rules)

3 I was cooking burgers for my mates during the first half instead of watching with my full attention. Hand diced steaks make for way better patties than mince.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

5. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have some backpedalling to do, and this is based on the last three games together not just one win against a truly atrocious Norf.

1. English may actually be the messiah. I am still hugely sceptical on his ability to influence games in the ruck but he has demonstrated in three games (and now also against a good ruck in Goldstein) that he can stop his opponent from being overly influential there. And considering his around the ground stuff has been phenomenal that means he is finally an asset and not a liability.

2. Libba is still very capable. I didn't see him being a valuable part of the side anymore apart from as a professional antagonist, but he has shown that he still has a part to play in our midfield rotations and his career has life yet. I'm glad because nothing makes me happier than seeing his stupidly adorned body hobbling round the footy field.

3. Easton Wood, wow. If his hands were just a touch stickier tonight he has all three nominations for mark of the round/year. He was vintage Easton tonight, dominant in the air, assured with ball in hand, and interviewing well. I was worried he wasn't even best 22 anymore, but tonight he was beautiful.

Bonus one that doesn't involve backpedalling:
    4. Laitham Vandermeer, impressive. It turns out Laitham is not at all the player I thought he was before he made his debut. I had seen glimpses here and there of the VFL but in my mind he was kind of a JJ/Brad Lynch/Jason Tutt hybrid. A pacy and thin half back/wing with a nice kick and an aversion to being tackled. Now the likeness I keep coming back to is Liam Picken. He just has such great intensity and desperation about him, he really throws himself into contests and has such great endeavour in everything he does. Also love that he has a bit of attitude for the opposition, as discussed in previous less successful weeks we have a very nice group of players so need a few disrupters who can bring the fire, and Laitham seems to be one of those. I was excited about seeing what Vandermeer was like, but i am so excited now that I've seen some of the stuff he can do.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

7. Likes jeemak, The Bulldogs Bite, Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    1. Bruce is a gun at AFL and also a cool guy in great shape who I would love to hang out with

2. Ben Brown is useless when the game isn’t totally on his terms LOLJK I ALREADY KNEW THAT (if I’m eating it about the one I got wrong I get to brag about the one I got right those are the rules)

3 I was cooking burgers for my mates during the first half instead of watching with my full attention. Hand diced steaks make for way better patties than mince.
    Really? They still stick together OK though?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Easton missed out on fourth in the Sutton medal last year by fourteen votes. Many around here didn't think he was best 22, it's been proven to be nonsense in his games this year.

10. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Tim English might be what tips us over the edge to get that 2nd premiership in what I call 'the Bontempelli era' - where I've been convinced we SHOULD win 2. He is a star.

2. JJ is just so underrated by our own in my opinion. I can't believe teams don't hard tag him each and every week - because one of the most significant difference in our team the last three weeks, from the disasterous St.Kilda game has been JJ not being tagged. He is low flying at the moment, had 8 score involvements as a defender, 4 i50's and 4 rebound 50s....not sure how many metres gained. After he set the tone, Daniel also became hugely influential after quarter time and had a staggering 10 score involvements from defence.

3. Easton Wood could be our best 'recruit' of the year. Perhaps handing over the captaincy - and perhaps having a 'senior' type tall defender like Keath is freeing Woody up to be back closer to 2015/2016 form. I was told by a club insider during trade period "if we can get Keath - one of the biggest things will be what he allows Wood to do"....we're all quick to kick the coaches/staff/list managers when things don't work - but credit where due, admittedly a small sample size, but the possibilities are there and our defence is humming.....

Breaking rules and adding extras;
    -so glad we kept Bailey Williams and he backed himself to stay and become a best 22.
    - I hopefully posted during the week that Naughton being out and Bruce being the main-man might give him a chance to get more involved and get a confidence boost. Thank f^%$ for that happening.
    - Bailey Dale again played a more complete game with goals, tackles, and some strong efforts. Good on him.
    - Rhylee West's father NEVER lost a ground ball contest. Rhylee inferited this. His involvements were huge.

12. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good post Ozza.

Thanks for the info as well on Wood's new lease on life.

I really struggle with how much he has been marginalised over the past two or three years. He has given up All Australian capability (year wise, and given his game today in his previous role) to fit into a structure doesn't suit him and has been bagged too often in my view.

Post Thanks / Like

1. I don't appreciate Caleb Daniel enough. He just has so many moments of brilliance but he's so quick of mind and hand that it's over before you know it. He might be the most skilled, smartest player in the league. The fact he is so much smaller than everyone else and is a critical part of our team but not in the standard 'small guy' goal sneak role is testament to his outrageous ability.

2. Bruce and Schache might be a better combination than Bruce and Naughton, because Schache is a more natural leading forward who drags defenders away and creates space for the big Juice. You also know that Schache is going to convert his set shots which is so important for momentum.

3. After we beat GWS, I asked how we'd go without 3 top line mids and with Dunkley out, Baz effectively done early on and Bont non-existent, we got some answers. The likes of Libba, Lipinski, West & McLean all went up a gear & it was great to see.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

15. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Our on-field footy IQ is stronger than we think: Caleb Daniel, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Hunter, Mitch Wallis and now Rhylee West. It's vital we keep the above players in the team.

2. No Naughton, Dunkley, Hunter, No Influence from Bontempelli or Smith who would've thought we'd win by 8+ goals?

3. Season is back on track. Ahead on the wins and losses ledger and % now above 100. The club as a whole should be feeling pretty good about themselves heading into the hub. If we can win 3 out of 4 games in the hub it will be an outstanding result.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Easton Wood is reborn without carrying an unreasonable load.

Schache needs to play.

Alex Keath looks like a perennially pissed off high school PE teacher.
    I really liked how Bruce and Schache worked together and looked to complement each other. Better even perhaps Bruce played with Naughton - perhaps these two are just too similar? Given the time we have put into Naughton as a forward, I can’t see him going back any time soon - nor perhaps do I want him to go back. But I’m not sure we can play all three in the one side without giving up too much ground ball support. Question if and when all three are fully fit - should we adopt a horses for courses / rotation policy and pick which two of the three to play depending on matchups?

also fully agree re Keath!

Post Thanks / Like

1 Keath does much more than just intercept and close down defenders. The impact him being there has on wood and cordy is great

2 Watching us dominate a team we’ve had so many close encounters with recently without Bont or Macrae having their usual influence was amazing

3 Bailey Williams looks like he is back. 3 great games in a row - his agility, kicking, decision making and movement has provided another great target to release us from defensive pressure

————

I can’t not mention Rhylee West’s work in traffic. Outstanding - they literally couldn’t tackle him!

Oh - and vandemeer being one step away From a JJ to Bont prelim line breaking run out of D50. So close

Post Thanks / Like

1. How quick things change. Collingwood were flying 3 weeks ago and we were awful. Roles have reversed. Credit to our entire club, both coaches and players, for turning it around.

2. Young pups are delivering. Vandameer was exceptional, English had his best game for the club v Goldy, West has been so important and has improved significantly.

3. Back half looks brilliant. Keath has been in our top 2-3 for the year, Williams again outstanding. Thought JJ was very good and Daniel's class and IQ is off the charts - incredible how good he is. Cordys in career best form and Wood played his best game in 4 years. Our backs suddenly look exciting and are covering well for one another in the air and on the ground.

Special mention to Brucey he was on arguably the best KPD in the league and kicked 6. Thought he and Schache worked so well together. For his competitive flaws which have improved, Schache is a good footballer who creates space and brings others into the game.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Rhylee West is now best 22. Even with players back, he stays.

2. Wood when allowed to intercept makes us so much better.

3. Schache covers so much ground and plays selfless football, dummy leading constantly to help our other forwards
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

1. Macrae is still criminally underrated. Even on here. I thought he was huge last night. Was the first at every contest and then provided as a linkup in the same sequence.

2. Keath is recruit of the year. He is sooo important to our defensive structure and it’s been added to with the freedom Wood is going to get.

3. Other have summed it up well regarding the impacts of JJ, Daniel, Libba, Bruce, Schache, Wood, West, Vander, English, Lipinski....I could basically name the whole list. It was a fantastic performance last night. Yes against a poor opponent but you couldn’t ask for much more. It felt like a 12 goal win in normal 20min quarters and it was done without Bailey and Bont.

3.5 I feel for Jongy. He hurt his ankle last night but fought out the game. I think he’d be in doubt for next week but he was great overhead last night. Took some great contested grabs