Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs vs Kangas - Hits and memories

Head to head since we both entered the vfl in 1925

80 wins, 79 losses and 3 draws

Most memorable wins for me are:

1984 Arden Street. Us 25.14.164 - Them 14.17.101

Believe it or not we had only defeated them in 2 of our previous 22 meetings!

I remember going to the ground that day with plenty of trepidation. This was early days in our mini-successful period with players such as Hawkins, Purser, Edmond, Royal, Sewell and Kennedy. But the player that is indelibly etched in my mind from that day was the number 37, Ian 'Chops' Rickman. In his best game for the club, Rickman booted 6.3 from his 9 kicks and i spent the two hour trip home telling my North mate how good this bloke was going to be. Chops did have a fantastic career it's just that it was with Williamstown and not Footscray.

For the record, the Pieman kicked 5 that day and Jock got 4. And Chris Burton led the disposals with 28.

1985 Semi Final MCG Us 19.23.137 - Them 16.11.107

This game stands out just because it was the first finals win that i witnessed.
    We had been flogged by the Hawks the previous week and went to this cut throat match not feeling that confident. But we came home strongly in the second half to see them off. Would love to know what Mick Malthouse said to the players pre game. Beazer and Choco kicked 12 between them and the Hawk had 38 possessions. Went home that day feeling our group of players could lead us to success for years to come.

2004 Manuka Us 19.6.120 - Them 18.11.119

A car load of us drove up to Canberra for this one. All i remember of this one is Johnno kicking the winning goal off the ground in the dying moments and me tripping over a concrete step in excitement. Love one point wins.
    Last edited by HOSE B ROMERO; 04-07-2020 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Highlight heading

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs vs Kangas - Hits and memories

Great post mate. That final was my first finals win as well.

Would love to see us kick 164 points.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

3. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember going to Arden st during the 70s and early 80s and getting done so many times.

That win in 1984 was a ripper but the most enjoyable win was the 1985 semi final. Beaza kicked his 100th, Lally his 50th and the Hawk was a star with a BOG performance.

Last few years we have had some close ones, but I really hope tonight we trounce them
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shorty Daniels kicked just about the best goal I ever saw in that final at the MCG. The ball squeezed out from the ruck contest (just after Beasley kicked his 100th from memory) and Daniels picks it up on centre wing and kicks it across his body from alongside the centre square for a goal. Unbelievable kick.

Then there was the pass that Dougie Hawkins stuck down Jimmy Edmonds throat. It travelled 50 metres but never went more than 4 metres off the ground and hit Jock right on the chest. Great game of footy. While it felt like we were in charge all day North were always in reach and could have put a burst on to overrun us.

That game where Chops Rickman kicked 7 at Arden street was even better than it looks on paper. He torched a fair opponent, he was on Keith Greig all day. It's the last time we played there to I think.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite