Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the “Nobody believes in us” strategy the most powerful in all of sports?

I know everyone here just loves the Bombers. But that was an impressive performance vs Collingwood last night...and they are now 3-1 and sitting pretty in a chaotic season.

And reading the quotes from the players, it all seems to be on the back of the “nobody believes in us” ideal.

The coaches have the players convinced that the only people who think they have a chance are the people in the change rooms. Past players, media commentators, the generic ‘man in the street’...true or otherwise, the players really do seem to believe it is them against the world. Then Heppell gets injured, and the sense of “no one rates us” just becomes more real.

It really felt in 2016 - in particular in the lead up to the first 3 finals that Bevo harnesssed this within our club. Plough 100% used it back in ‘97.

True or otherwise, is the concept that “nobody outside of this room” thinks we are any good the most powerful, unbeatable force in sport? And if so, how can we find a little bit of its magic this year or has it been solely reserved for use by the GCS?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is the “Nobody believes in us” strategy the most powerful in all of sports?

It's powerful, but it only works with the downtrodden.

There's no way the Hawks of 2013, 14 and 15 would've bought it.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I think it does work when you have the media, the opposition supporters and everyone not rating you and not talking about you in social media, or picking you in tipping etc. It is an us versus them, combined with a "Why not Us" attitude internally.

However, the playing group need to believe in themselves and have the confidence they can do it. That comes after winning some tough matches that you aren't expected to win.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

With the Bombers, it’s 100% true and warranted. No one does believe in them and they shouldn’t.

I know it’s not the point of your post but the Bombers might be 3-1 but they’ve crawled over the line against some average teams & copped Collingwood the week they lose 2 of their most important players.

Same shit happened last year and they were eventually found out.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

5. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I know it’s not the point of your post but the Bombers might be 3-1 but they’ve crawled over the line against some average teams & copped Collingwood the week they lose 2 of their most important players.

Another important part of “nobody believes in us” - having any success you do have overlooked due to the opposition...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    It's powerful, but it only works with the downtrodden.

There's no way the Hawks of 2013, 14 and 15 would've bought it.
    You don’t think all the criticism of their clearance work and contested ball number helped galvanise them in critical situations?

Post Thanks / Like

Is it a strategy? I don't know it seems like ideology. I wonder how it manifests internally and how you track it's effectiveness as a coach.

How do you?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Another important part of “nobody believes in us” - having any success you do have overlooked due to the opposition...
    It can be an awful reality check too. The day that you work out that you have only really beaten a couple of ordinary opponents. I reckon it happens more often than the rest of the comp selling you short. Let's face it. The other teams do a lot of forward analysis and know other team's strengths and weaknesses better than we do.

It does to us anyway!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    You don’t think all the criticism of their clearance work and contested ball number helped galvanise them in critical situations?
    Honestly I don't know.

What I do know is that any criticisms they received were probably mitigated because they were strong in other areas.

Mindset is a lot different if you're shit at everything vs. shit at one thing.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Once they actually face some strong teams, the 'no one believes in us' mindset will soon turn into 'oh, it was because we're actually no good'.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

12. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Once they actually face some strong teams, the 'no one believes in us' mindset will soon turn into 'oh, it was because we're actually no good'.
    Essendon get pumped every year by the media, story after story and the players believe it, then reality sets in.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Essendon get pumped every year by the media, story after story and the players believe it, then reality sets in.
    Melbourne too, but in their case it's every second or third year after they provide the old "close but no cigar" effort and the media narrative becomes "Melbourne have definitely learned their lesson this time around and will win the flag this season for sure"

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, every success I have had I sport has been as the underdog. I have no idea of the psychology that goes along with that but within yourself if you have no expectations on your shoulders it makes it so much more free.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Personally, every success I have had I sport has been as the underdog. I have no idea of the psychology that goes along with that but within yourself if you have no expectations on your shoulders it makes it so much more free.
    It's telling me I can't do something that drives me. I have to prove them wrong.

I used to think it was anger but that just affected my judgement.

Post Thanks / Like

It is definitely a powerful message, and was definitely part of Bevo's message in 2016 - although I think he was more instilling belief in the team (Why not us?) than focusing on the lack of belief externally. I think building belief within the squad is the more important component.

I think his focus this year is going to be on developing the team/family aspect of the squad. I think the hubs are a great opportunity for us, with a young squad to all spend time together. I am hoping that giving Bevo more social time with the boys will improve relationships, build trust and show itself with the on-field chemistry.

On the Bombers, I'm sure it's helping that they have an actual coach for the first time in 10 years.