In Butler, Porter
    4 weeks not enough for Hunter?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Vs Carlton Round 6 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    4 weeks not enough for Hunter?
    I knew I forgot someone
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Out: Jong, Crozier, (maybe Smith & Vanders)

In: Hunter, Butler (maybe Dicko & Suckers)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I do agree with you but there was one instance kicking to the Footscray end where Bruce was outnumbered two to one. Ed had two choices kick the ball in the air and give it back to North Melbourne or chaos ball it in and hopefully force a stoppage so we could reload in front of goal or force it out of bounce. I believe he chose the latter on purpose.

For me Ed's run and carry is super important to the team. He's playing ok.
    Agree......love what Richards brings to the team - attacking mid that can run and deliver the ball well - those wormburners were superb. His output this year and ability to impact a game is already higher than his last 2 years. Big part of out side.

Post Thanks / Like

If Ed's kicking into the forward line was problematic enough for the coach to call out in his presser then for me it's probably a bit of a stretch to make excuses for him and agree that he purposely kicked chaos balls.

In each instance a better kick would have given his tall forwards who were competing well throughout the day a fighting chance.

I like what he brings when he's running at the defence and kicking well. He's not doing the latter at the moment.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As per my previous post I generally agree I was using one instance as an example where he made a decision based on the risk of the kick. He certainly needs to clean up his disposal; however, bear in mind he usually kicks it running flat out increasing the level of difficulty considerably.

Aside from his kicking he's been quite pivotal at times as we transition from the middle of the ground forward. Has become more aggressive this season as well. Like what I'm seeing.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    As per my previous post I generally agree I was using one instance as an example where he made a decision based on the risk of the kick. He certainly needs to clean up his disposal; however, bear in mind he usually kicks it running flat out increasing the level of difficulty considerably.

Aside from his kicking he's been quite pivotal at times as we transition from the middle of the ground forward. Has become more aggressive this season as well. Like what I'm seeing.
    I actually misread your previous post...…...apologies.

We need his pace and we need his increased aggression, but we also need him to respect the footy a bit more because he doesn't accumulate huge numbers so needs to make sure he has an impact when he does get it.

He's a third year player who has played 45 games and needs to start being held to account so he can take that next step. I'm not saying exile him, but if he's averaging only 11-12 touches a game he needs to make them count.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Likes 1eyedog, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In an ideal world, I'd likely send Richards back to the VFL to 'slow down' and hone his kicking (and find more of the ball) but given our injuries, not sure it's a luxury we have right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Returning Dogs' star to help ease injury pain

THE CONCERNS surrounding an impending injury crisis at the Western Bulldogs are set to be eased, with star midfielder Lachie Hunter almost guaranteed to return this week from a four-match suspension for an alleged drink-driving incident.

The Bulldogs, who are among the form teams in the competition after winning three successive matches, could be forced into four changes for this week's clash with Carlton after a bruising battle against North Melbourne last Saturday night.

Lin Jong is expected to miss the next two months due to a syndesmosis injury suffered in the convincing 49-point win, while young duo Bailey Smith and Laitham Vandermeer are both unlikely to play after sustaining concussions.

Impressive defender Hayden Crozier will also be unavailable, having failed to overturn a one-match suspension for a dangerous tackle on Kangaroos youngster Jack Mahoney at the AFL Tribunal on Tuesday night.

However, the Dogs' midfield will be bolstered by Hunter's return, with the prolific onballer having served his four-match suspension for an alleged drink driving incident during the game's shutdown period.

Hunter was alleged to have crashed into four parked cars while more than two times over the legal blood-alcohol limit.

He was stripped of his vice-captaincy, as well as being slapped with a four-match ban and a $20,000 fine ($15,000 suspended) for the misdemeanour.

He was hit with four charges for the incident by Victoria Police last month, while he was also handed a $1652 penalty notice for breaching COVID-19 laws that were in place at the time of the offence.

"I've got no doubt it would have changed him and he'll learn from it … I think it'll improve his outlook and who he is as a young man," Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge told radio station RSN on Wednesday.

"He's very fit and strong and he's ready to play. It's probably difficult coming back from that period away, after letting yourself down and you still know you've got four weeks to serve.

"But he's focused on his work and he hasn't taken his eye off the ball with trying to help others.

"We'll consider him for selection this week, and with 'Jongy' going down there's a spot there. And with Crozier being suspended, there's another spot. So, we'll consider him. He's definitely ready to go."

13. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting pretty concerned if we're losing Smith, Crozier, Jong and Vandameer from last week. The first two are very important cogs to our side, whilst the latter two have really contributed when they've played.

Post Thanks / Like

Although Hunter is a very different player than Jong he should offset that loss. Wood back and in form with his intercepting lessens the blow of losing Crozier somewhat. Vander has been improving but he's not crucial to the side. Smith missing would be a big loss, even though we did well without him last week. I get the feeling we can't afford for Bont to have another quiet game.

I sincerely hope we take on board the lessons St Kilda showed the rest of the league last week - shut down Docherty and Cripps and Carlton will struggle. I hope Mclean is deployed as a negating forward on Docherty to curb his distribution off half back. I doubt we will tag Cripps as such but there needs to be an onballer accountable for him at all times, especially at stoppages and when he floats forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Although Hunter is a very different player than Jong he should offset that loss. Wood back and in form with his intercepting lessens the blow of losing Crozier somewhat. Vander has been improving but he's not crucial to the side. Smith missing would be a big loss, even though we did well without him last week. I get the feeling we can't afford for Bont to have another quiet game.

I sincerely hope we take on board the lessons St Kilda showed the rest of the league last week - shut down Docherty and Cripps and Carlton will struggle. I hope Mclean is deployed as a negating forward on Docherty to curb his distribution off half back. I doubt we will tag Cripps as such but there needs to be an onballer accountable for him at all times, especially at stoppages and when he floats forward.
    Yep, agreed. McLean to Docherty, and Macrae to go head to head with Cripps.

I've read it's meant to be wet on Sunday so hopefully that negates their big boys and helps our defence.

Maybe we can afford to go in with only Bruce as a tall target forward, and bring in Cavarra or Weightman?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

I've read it's meant to be wet on Sunday so hopefully that negates their big boys and helps our defence.

Maybe we can afford to go in with only Bruce as a tall target forward, and bring in Cavarra or Weightman?
    Given we already have possibly 4 forced outs you can't possibly have Schache as an ommission, especially given his sound kicking skills.

I think we can play either of those 2 to replace one of the 4 going out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

I wouldn't drop Schache, he's agile enough and decent enough at ground level to still be useful. It's shit tall forwards that move like the QE2 and have poor hands that become a liability in the wet (hello Mason Cox). Casboult could still clunk them in a typhoon so we will need to be wary.
    Last edited by Axe Man; 08-07-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Out: Jong, Crozier, Vandameer, Smith (big loss)

In: Hunter, Butler, Trengove, Porter (just guessing), otherwise Dickson
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.