Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  48
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Vs Essendon Round 7 2020

Does anyone know why Dickson is out of favour? On the face of it he is a better forward than Wallis, Dale, West, Schache, Weightman, Mclean, Vandermeer, Gowers and Cavarra, basically all of our forwards, yet despite being fit most (possibly all?) rounds hasn't been picked ahead of any of these guys.

If we don't think he is better than them, why is he on the list? And if it's because of some other reason, why are we not being told?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

If Cordy plays forward, then I can somewhat understand Schache being out - but if not - are we really going to base selection on one week's form? The week prior, Bruce and Schache worked well together - against Carlton the forwardline was extremely congested and we know that just isn't Schache's 'go' - and yes he was a complete non-factor.

But we give the forward line no chance whatsoever and becoming cohesive when we just throw it around selection-wise every single week. Last season our overall performance turned around and forwardline functioned better when we actually played forwards there.
    Mclean and West were both good v North, and West was good v Sydney also. Is this what we do? 2 good games, then 1 down week and you're out.

The selection committee has a lot to answer for AGAIN this year. I hope we can pull it off tonight, but my confidence in us winning this week has taken a hit with selection. Had we have gone with Crozier for Butler only - I think we'd look a far better side. If some of the omissions related to the 5 day break - it is more understandable.

3. Likes Mantis, GVGjr, Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    But we give the forward line no chance whatsoever and becoming cohesive when we just throw it around selection-wise every single week.
    I'm not sure that has happened. Bruce, Wallis and Dale have played every game there. Naughton and Lloyd would have if not injured. We have really only changed a small number of players in and out of the forward mix by choice which I would think is more than reasonable given how the forward line has functioned this season.
    Last edited by Axe Man; 17-07-2020 at 11:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Our midfield really has to hit the scoreboard we have one genuine forward in the team. As soon as I saw Schache out and La Young in I knew Cordy was likely to take Schache's place. I'm worried about that switch because Cordy has been very solid down back.

I'm really, really worried about our ability to score tonight.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

If Cordy plays forward, then I can somewhat understand Schache being out - but if not - are we really going to base selection on one week's form? The week prior, Bruce and Schache worked well together - against Carlton the forwardline was extremely congested and we know that just isn't Schache's 'go' - and yes he was a complete non-factor.

But we give the forward line no chance whatsoever and becoming cohesive when we just throw it around selection-wise every single week. Last season our overall performance turned around and forwardline functioned better when we actually played forwards there.
    Mclean and West were both good v North, and West was good v Sydney also. Is this what we do? 2 good games, then 1 down week and you're out.

The selection committee has a lot to answer for AGAIN this year. I hope we can pull it off tonight, but my confidence in us winning this week has taken a hit with selection. Had we have gone with Crozier for Butler only - I think we'd look a far better side. If some of the omissions related to the 5 day break - it is more understandable.
    Bar last week where Cordy was once again asked to play outside his height/weight division (which he struggles with) and we defended high Zaine had been pretty good since he returned to the team. To think that we will throw that out the window and send him forward is simply crazy.

But that's how Bevo rolls!

And I can't see how your second point is factual given that some team members have struggled all year, but still have their place in the team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Does anyone know why Dickson is out of favour? On the face of it he is a better forward than Wallis, Dale, West, Schache, Weightman, Mclean, Vandermeer, Gowers and Cavarra, basically all of our forwards, yet despite being fit most (possibly all?) rounds hasn't been picked ahead of any of these guys.

If we don't think he is better than them, why is he on the list? And if it's because of some other reason, why are we not being told?
    Good question. Seems like we are looking to the future by selecting the younger guys. Maybe Dickson will be managed and used when required. If this had of been a normal season then probably he and Trengove would be playing but it seems like Bevo and the MC are using this season to experiment with some of the younger guys. To me it seems like a potential missed opportunity as this years flag is up for grabs and we should be playing our best 22 week in, week out which for mine would include both Dickson and Trengove.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Our midfield really has to hit the scoreboard we have one genuine forward in the team. As soon as I saw Schache out and La Young in I knew Cordy was likely to take Schache's place. I'm worried about that switch because Cordy has been very solid down back.

I'm really, really worried about our ability to score tonight.
    We have scored and scored well against Essendon in our past few matches. Will be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

With all the half backs being added this week - is there a chance we play JJ forward to try and quell Saad's influence and try and make him accountable? For sheer speed, JJ is the only one I can think of for us that keeps up with Saad.

10. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Gees that's an odd looking team.
    Loaded for defenders, a makeshift CHF in Cordy ( with no recognisable fallback should he play poorly)
    And very young and inexperienced with Vandermeer, Weightman, Young with less than 11 games experience between them.
    I suppose I should be used to weird team selections by now.
    If we pull this off the Match Committee are geniuses.
    I suspect the Bombers to come out very hard given the absolute pantsing we gave them last year.
    Hope we're up for it.
    Vanders and Weightman could play defensive forward roles is need be.

I don't have a problem with Weightman playing. Small forward is the position where kids can get up to speed very quickly. If we had a first and fourth gamer in KPD posts then it would be panic stations.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

With all the half backs being added this week - is there a chance we play JJ forward to try and quell Saad's influence and try and make him accountable? For sheer speed, JJ is the only one I can think of for us that keeps up with Saad.
    Fantasia is also playing back now, along with Saad and McKenna as quick rebounders. They had 21 (Saad), 19 (Fantasia) and 18 (McKenna) last week. They can all be damaging.

It's a fair suggestion but I worry that JJ is our only rebounder with real pace (unless Richards was to go back there) and would be loath to lose that off half back.

Post Thanks / Like

McLean was terrible last week and was kicking around corners basically giving the ball back to Carlton. I can see why he is omitted. A player of his experience should know better.

West was getting in Bruce's way in the forward line, even contested marks against him. This would've drove Bevo mad. You would think he was told to stay down and get the crumb and didn't so was omitted as a result. Dunno, just trying to figure out his omission. I would've stuck with him myself.

Puzzling inclusions but we should still beat them. Not confident one bit though
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.